Ruling Twister Question

Alchemist_Almighty

Don't camp the baby...
Dragonair (42 DS) has an attack called Twister that does this:

Twister (20)
Flip 2 coins. If both are tails, this attack does nothing. For each heads, discard an Energy attached to the Defending Pokemon.

Okay, the situation is this: Say my opponent has a Double Rainbow Energy card and a Basic energy card on their defending Pokemon. I use Dragonair's Twister to attack.

I get 1 heads. I choose one of the Rainbow Energies to be dissed, causing the whole DRE to be discarded since you can't discard one without the other, right?

I get 2 heads. I can choose one of the Rainbow Energies (dissing the whole DRE) and the Basic energy to discard, right?

This is bound to happen with my deck and I'd like the answer to this. I think my logic is right, but then again...

*points to Baby Pokemon thread*

<_<'

It says "DISCARD AN ENERGY" and not "DISCARD AN ENERGY CARD"

So u discard one energy (Basic) IF ONE HEADS and the DRE (Which counts as 2) IF TWO HEADS.

Seek... and you shall find

Compendium said:
== TWISTER (Gyarados EX - EX:Fire Red / Leaf Green)

Q. If Gyarados-EX does "Twister" to a Pokémon with a Special Energy Card that provides more than one unit (i.e. DCE, DRE, Scramble Energy, etc.) attached, and Gyarados-EX gets only one heads, what would happen?
A. You may discard it just like you would if paying a Retreat Cost of 1 with a DCE, DRE, etc. (Jun 9, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

Q. If Gyarados-EX does "Twister" to a Pokémon with a basic energy card and a Special Energy Card that provides more than one unit (i.e. DCE, DRE, Scramble Energy, etc.) and Gyarados-EX gets two heads, can I discard both cards or do I *have to* discard the Special Energy Card?
A. You may choose to discard the basic energy card for the first heads and then the Special Energy Card for the second heads. However, if you discard the Special Energy Card first, that would pay for both heads and you would not get to discard the basic energy (or other Special Energy) card. (Jun 9, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

Back