Discussion Turtonator GX

AngelBeast

Aspiring Trainer
This card was my big pull at the pre release this set using to create my deck of just turtonator and 39 energy lol.
But I am curios to see how it will be used in the meta card game.
I know for Volcanion is the first big deck that jumps out at me, how would you use Turtonator, if you even would, in a Volcanion deck.
Or what other decks are you going to use it in?

I would start testing turtonator as the main attacker in volcanion by trying 2-3 in the deck. It has perfect synergy with the deck and if you have a turtonator with a ffb with 2-3 steam ups you are doing 160-190 damage with its first attack (assuming they attack into turtonator next turn). If its a choice band it could be 190-220 damage. Bursting balloon could also be interesting. If hoopa and shaymin end up rotating you could also do a build with a 2-2 starmie line. Runs pretty smooth either way

Last edited:
I was considering Lurantis-GX/Turtonator-GX. Don't run away. Hear me out. It plays super similarly to Solgaleo/Lurantis, except Turtle is a basic, making it easier and more consistent to play. Turtle can also OHKO Decidueye with its second attack, which Lurantis can help power up. Lurantis also can OHKO Lapras and most other gold water mons, which will get better with GUR.

I see a couple variants

4 turtonator GX
2-4 regirock XYP 49
2 wobbuffet
4 burst balloon + eco arm/Skyla (+ rock guard in expanded)
3-4 altar of the sun

in this version you have 1 turtonator as active using its first attack and a tool so any hits to it take 140 and one regirock on the bench with the ancient trait that protect against lysandre (this is so they can't just KO turtonator and win) wobbuffet is for dealing with item lock so we can get tools and such in place.

other version are the volcanion ex combo or when it releases in our august set baby lurantis (sunny day) for the damage increase effects.

I see a couple variants

4 turtonator GX
2-4 regirock XYP 49
2 wobbuffet
4 burst balloon + eco arm/Skyla (+ rock guard in expanded)
3-4 altar of the sun

in this version you have 1 turtonator as active using its first attack and a tool so any hits to it take 140 and one regirock on the bench with the ancient trait that protect against lysandre (this is so they can't just KO turtonator and win) wobbuffet is for dealing with item lock so we can get tools and such in place.

other version are the volcanion ex combo or when it releases in our august set baby lurantis (sunny day) for the damage increase effects.
Baby Lurantis is going to be a blister promo soon.

I would start testing turtonator as the main attacker in volcanion by trying 2-3 in the deck. It has perfect synergy with the deck and if you have a turtonator with a ffb with 2-3 steam ups you are doing 160-190 damage with its first attack (assuming they attack into turtonator next turn). If its a choice band it could be 190-220 damage. Bursting balloon could also be interesting. If hoopa and shaymin end up rotating you could also do a build with a 2-2 starmie line. Runs pretty smooth either way

I personally would throw in a couple baby Volcanions to get those discarded fire energies on your bench, especially if any of those on the bench are turtonators

Back