• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Turonator GX Decklist(Input Please!)

First of all Nest Ball can't pull Tapu Lele GX, so if you don't start with Tapu Lele GX or Ultra Ball you wont get a Kiawe turn 1. That is assuming you cant get a Kiawe in hand which would also be difficult. Octillery is irrelevant turn 1. Even if you start with a Tapu Lele GX in hand if you have no other starting pokemon you have to place that in the active. In which case you also have to switch it out. You can say it is consistent, but I don't really think it is.

Last edited:
First of all Nest Ball can't pull Tapu Lele GX, so if you don't start with Tapu Lele GX or Ultra Ball you wont get a Kiawe turn 1. That is assuming you cant get a Kiawe in hand which would also be difficult. Octillery is irrelevant turn 1. Even if you start with a Tapu Lele GX in hand if you have no other starting pokemon you have to place that in the active. In which case you also have to switch it out. You can say it is consistent, but I don't really think it is.
Nest ball gets me ho oh I'm no rookie I know I can't get lele. I run 4 lele 4 kiawe 4 ultra ball. I get one of those turn 1. I run 4 brooklet hill which gets me rameraid turn 1. I run 4 octilery which I usually have turn 2. I run 3 guzma so I can just stream attacking with ho oh. U get it lol

It's more of a midgame card to slap on right before your pokemon is knocked out. U basically have to pray the don't get blower. U try to make them waste blower on other things

Po Town is a great way to still have a good awnser into decks that we are weak into. More importantly though a good start up is the most relevant for the whole deck. Despite Alolan Vulpix being great and thus Water Decks always being capable to set up consistantly if they want to there is really no reason to exclusively run Ho-Oh GX for what some precieve as a weakness. The simple reason behind this is because these types of decks are faster, can run Volcanions as walls which in turn allow you to continue with the 1HKO attacks whilst only losing 1 prize in the process. It's the deck that run completely without regular Volcanion who can run into massive problems, Alolan Ninetailes (BUS) being the greatest example thanks to Safeguard.

However more importantly, a good Pokemon meta leads to multiple decks who can awnser each other and have trouble with specifically deck A, B or C. In the case of Volcanion EX/Kiawe driven decks Water decks can be a problem, this issue is not fixed by just running Ho-Oh GX because of Alolan Ninetales. There are many options available to this deck and these also include choices who just can make large attacks with colourless energies or Fire. So far I have not folded into Alolan Ninetales decks because of the regular Volcanion.

Po Town is a great way to still have a good awnser into decks that we are weak into. More importantly though a good start up is the most relevant for the whole deck. Despite Alolan Vulpix being great and thus Water Decks always being capable to set up consistantly if they want to there is really no reason to exclusively run Ho-Oh GX for what some precieve as a weakness. The simple reason behind this is because these types of decks are faster, can run Volcanions as walls which in turn allow you to continue with the 1HKO attacks whilst only losing 1 prize in the process. It's the deck that run completely without regular Volcanion who can run into massive problems, Alolan Ninetailes (BUS) being the greatest example thanks to Safeguard.

However more importantly, a good Pokemon meta leads to multiple decks who can awnser each other and have trouble with specifically deck A, B or C. In the case of Volcanion EX/Kiawe driven decks Water decks can be a problem, this issue is not fixed by just running Ho-Oh GX because of Alolan Ninetales. There are many options available to this deck and these also include choices who just can make large attacks with colourless energies or Fire. So far I have not folded into Alolan Ninetales decks because of the regular Volcanion.
All I do is make use of my 4 wishful baton so the energy can go to say a baby volcanion who 1 shots alolan ninetails with 1 steam up. Water decks don't pose a threat to good players.

All I do is make use of my 4 wishful baton so the energy can go to say a baby volcanion who 1 shots alolan ninetails with 1 steam up. Water decks don't pose a threat to good players.
So I should stick to Turtonator GX then by that logic? Thanks man!

I currently have 3 version of this deck. I "teched" in a 1-1 salazzle for late game. Was extremely useful against the garde MU because of it's low energy cost attacks. Ended up taking that match against garde with my Salazzle GX doing 250 for 2 energy while all of my opponent exhausted all his energies and Choice bands.

The silazzle gx isn't a bad tech. It gets u over jolteon ex and vileplume!
Jolteon is virtually unplayed and Vileplume will be unplayed after Forest rotates.
Nest ball gets me ho oh I'm no rookie I know I can't get lele. I run 4 lele 4 kiawe 4 ultra ball. I get one of those turn 1. I run 4 brooklet hill which gets me rameraid turn 1. I run 4 octilery which I usually have turn 2. I run 3 guzma so I can just stream attacking with ho oh. U get it lol
This is a lot of cards. You won't have much space. Could you provide a list.

Lol that's what I said latte, but he claims it's super easy and always consistent. You could run a Salazzle GX if you feel like your down in prizes most of time. Latte is right though getting over Vileplume and Jolteon is not a good reason to run it. It is only good late game if you are losing or in a close prize match. I hope this helps.

Lol that's what I said latte, but he claims it's super easy and always consistent. You could run a Salazzle GX if you feel like your down in prizes most of time. Latte is right though getting over Vileplume and Jolteon is not a good reason to run it. It is only good late game if you are losing or in a close prize match. I hope this helps.
Wasn't running it for any of those Pokemon to be honest lol. I just feel like it does an amazing job getting that final prize. With Turt + Kiawe it's very easy to get down to 2 prizes quickly. By then Salazzle GX is doing 200 damage for just two energy.

In my Turtonator list I run burning energy which can be pulled using Kiawe. Because of that I can hit for 160 every turn. Personally I don't know if it is worth it to run Salazzle GX considering in most games you can Kiawe a Turtonator on your first turn. Then hit for 160+ for the rest of the game. I hope this helps.

In my Turtonator list I run burning energy which can be pulled using Kiawe. Because of that I can hit for 160 every turn. Personally I don't know if it is worth it to run Salazzle GX considering in most games you can Kiawe a Turtonator on your first turn. Then hit for 160+ for the rest of the game. I hope this helps.
Burning Energy can't be used with Kiawe because it specifically states it's treated as a Fire energy when attached to a Pokemon.

You'll in some way, shape or form run out of resources especially if the game goes long. In late game Salazzle GX doesn't require much energy but hits like a Truck.

I learned that your right, you can't pull Burning Energy with Kiawe. I replaced the 4 Burning Energy for 4 Fire Energy, and I could see Salazzle GX in this deck now because you do run out of resources closer to the end. Here is my new decklist.

Pokemon: 15

4 Turtonator GX
3 Volcanion EX
2 Staryu
2 Starmie
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Salandit
1 Salazzle GX
1 Volcanion

Trainers: 33

Items
3 Float Stone
4 Ultra Ball
2 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Nest Ball

Supporters
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
3 Kiawe
2 Guzma
1 Acerola

Stadiums
4 Brooklet Hill
2 Altar of the Sunne

Energy: 12

12 Fire Energy

I'm debating dropping the Volcanion EX down to 2 because I run 4 Brooklet Hill. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I learned that your right, you can't pull Burning Energy with Kiawe. I replaced the 4 Burning Energy for 4 Fire Energy, and I could see Salazzle GX in this deck now because you do run out of resources closer to the end. Here is my new decklist.

4 Turtonator GX
3 Volcanion EX
2 Staryu
2 Starmie
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Salandit
1 Salazzle GX

Items
3 Float Stone
4 Ultra Ball
2 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Nest Ball

Supporters
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
4 Kiawe
2 Guzma
1 Acerola

Stadiums
4 Brooklet Hill
2 Altar of the Sunne

12 Fire Energy

I'm debating dropping the Volcanion EX down to 2 because I run 4 Brooklet Hill. I hope this helps.

I wouldn't put 4 Kiawe in the deck. 3 at the most. You really need one in turn one. I have yet to play a second one afterwards.

4 Turtonator GX
3 Volcanion EX
2 Staryu
2 Starmie
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Salandit
1 Salazzle GX

Items
3 Float Stone
4 Ultra Ball
2 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Nest Ball

Supporters
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
4 Kiawe
2 Guzma
1 Acerola

Stadiums
4 Brooklet Hill
2 Altar of the Sunne

12 Fire Energy
First of all, I concur with @mrfr1day in that 4 Kiawe are not needed. From my early testing experience, I usually (i.e., 90% of the time) get the Kiawe T1 with my 2 Tapu Lele GX, 4 Ultra Ball "engine."

I'm also not a fan of 4 N in a deck. Inevitably, you'll "help" your opponent more often than not sometimes... Why not replace 1 N with a Hau (or Hala) or Sophocles, etc.?

Secondly, I would strongly suggest adding a 3rd Guzma. Even if your current 2 are not ever prized, only 2 limit your options. As an alternative, also consider -1 Float Stone (destined to be Field Blower'ed away) for +1 Guzma.

6 Stadiums, 4 of which are Brooklet Hill, seem quite excessive. Consider replacing 1 Brooklet Hill with another R energy or a Parallel City (to help remove unwanted/unneeded Pokémon from your bench).

Interestingly enough, I'm less concerned about W decks match-ups as oppose to the Espeon-Garbodor or the Umbreon-Zoroark match-ups. Thoughts?

I dropped a Kiawe for a Guzma because I haven't play tested with it, and you guys agree it is consistent enough. I like 3 Float Stone because their is too high a chance I start with a Volcanion EX, Tapu Lele GX, or Salandit. It's not about Float Stone being there all game, it's about being there once, and since I don't run Choice Band it doesn't hurt to stay on it. I am a big fan of running 4 N and 4 Professor Sycamore in the new format, and I personally find N is more disruptive than it is helpful to your opponent if you play it right. I know Brooklet Hill will be a dead card after the first few turns, so it seems dumb to run 4, but I need it for the first couple of turns. I may debate dropping one Brooklet Hill for a Nest Ball. I happen to be very concerned about water decks because they will be pretty popular in the next format. The three big ones are Alolan Ninetales GX, Greninja Break, and Lapras Waterbox. Greninja Break and Lapras do become a little worse in the new format, but I think they will still be played, and they will still be pretty good. In my opinion Alolan Ninetales GX will become a Tier 1 deck if not one of the best decks. With the print of baby Alolan Ninetales it will become so powerful, and it doesn't lose any big cards that no one else is losing like Vs Seeker, etc. I hope this helps.

Alolan Ninetales is definitely a problem. No idea what to tech in for that. Guzma is one card that can deal with it but if they're running quad then we're pretty much screwed. Working on a build that includes Baby Volcanion.

Back