• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Trying Out Talonflame BREAK

Petzz

Aspiring Trainer
So, now that we know wich sets that are rotating out of the format (a little late), i have been thinking about what can be fun decks in the new format.
I thought of 2 decks that could be fun after the release of Steam Siege, but before the rotation.
Toxicroak and Yveltal break

Talonflame seems like something fun. Some people have focused on trying to get out a first turn Talonflame. Yeah... use Talonflame's attack is really good on the first turn (40 damage and get 2 cards from your deck). That's really nice for setting up, but i don't think that should be the main reason to play Talonflame. This pokemon also has a break (150 damage for 2 fire energy and discard all energies). That's not bad, and with burning energy you don't even need to discard the energy.

Pokemon 19

• 4 Fletchling STS
  • 1 Fletchlinder ROS
  • 4 Talonflame STS
  • 3 Talonflame Break STS
  • 2 Trubbish BKP
  • 2 Garbodor BKP
  • 2 Volcanion STS
  • 1 Shaymin ROS
Trainers 34
  • 3 Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 Trainers mail
  • 4 Ultra ball
  • 3 Bursting balloon
  • 2 Float stone
  • 1 Super rod
  • 2 Vs seeker
  • 4 Rare candy
  • 3 Scorched earth
Energy 9
  • 5 Fire energy
  • 4 burning energy
Set up to get talonflame out and charge up with volcanion while Garbodor stops abilities (Talonflame's ability does only work with your starting hand). But be carefull, you cant attach burning energy to the regular Talonflame.

I think this could be a fun deck to mess around with. It is a bit slow to set up, but the new format is going to be slower as well. Garbodor stops your biggest threat, Greninja, and the regular Talonflame is a normal-type. I haven't actually tried this deck myself yet and this was just an idea, but i hope you can give me some tips of what to improve.

Last edited:
Seems like a great deck, these are a couple things I would do.

-1 fletchling
-1 N
-2 float stone
-2 rare candy

+1 Delinquent
+1 Trainers Mail
+2 energy Retrieval
+2 VS seeker

Seems like a great deck, these are a couple things I would do.

-1 fletchling
-1 N
-2 float stone
-2 rare candy

+1 Delinquent
+1 Trainers Mail
+2 energy Retrieval
+2 VS seeker
I see what you are thinking. But i don't really want to rely on Talonflame's ability. If i don't get a Talonflame in my opening hand, i can't use him because i only have 3 Fletchlings. I need the floatstone for garbodor.
But i like the idea of adding 1 Delinquent and maybe 1 energy retrieval, remember, i have to Volcanion to get back energies.
Im gonna try to add some of the things, Delinquent, trainers mail and at least 1 more Vs seeker

Thx

Nice deck idea, I am a great lover of fire type decks, and am approximately devastated about Blacksmith's rotation, but Talonflame might just work without!

My first point would be that you have 19 Pokémon not 17, and therefore 62 cards not 60, so something will need to be chopped! (I personally don't put a lot of faith in Acro Bike, so maybe that?) In terms of suggestions, I find that 2x Stage 1 and 3x Rare Candy works pretty well, rather than the 1-4 split you've opted for. Another point would be that if you opt for the Steam Siege line of the birds, you could use Winona to grab one of each (or even that Shaymin EX), or maybe even use Brigette which could fetch you Volcanion and Trubbish as well. As much as I appreciate the benefit of Garbodor I feel there are cards which could be used in its place, for example an additional two VS Seeker and something like Hex Maniac (a card combination which could also serve to combat Greninja). Also, if you're relying heavily on Burning Energy (RIP Blacksmith) then maybe the new card Special Charge from Steam Siege would be a decent addition to keep them coming.

This hasn't been the most definitive of posts, but hopefully that stream of consciousness had at least something useful in it.

Nice deck idea, I am a great lover of fire type decks, and am approximately devastated about Blacksmith's rotation, but Talonflame might just work without!

My first point would be that you have 19 Pokémon not 17, and therefore 62 cards not 60, so something will need to be chopped! (I personally don't put a lot of faith in Acro Bike, so maybe that?) In terms of suggestions, I find that 2x Stage 1 and 3x Rare Candy works pretty well, rather than the 1-4 split you've opted for. Another point would be that if you opt for the Steam Siege line of the birds, you could use Winona to grab one of each (or even that Shaymin EX), or maybe even use Brigette which could fetch you Volcanion and Trubbish as well. As much as I appreciate the benefit of Garbodor I feel there are cards which could be used in its place, for example an additional two VS Seeker and something like Hex Maniac (a card combination which could also serve to combat Greninja). Also, if you're relying heavily on Burning Energy (RIP Blacksmith) then maybe the new card Special Charge from Steam Siege would be a decent addition to keep them coming.

This hasn't been the most definitive of posts, but hopefully that stream of consciousness had at least something useful in it.
Thx it really helped

Thx it really helped

Went back and tried to work out some specific changes and came up with those below, also noticed there are 33 Trainers not 34, so you're sitting at 61 cards with that list. Below is a suggested change where Garbodor is removed, not trying to undermine your approach, just something to consider I guess:

-1 Fletchinder ROS (we want the Colourless one)
-2 Trubbish (taking out)
-2 Garbodor (taking out)
-1 N (two is enough)
-3 Acro Bike (not my favourite card, and Scorched Earth is doing this better anyway)
-2 Float Stone (not really required without Garbodor)
-1 Rare Candy (changed count as mentioned previously)

+2 Fletchinder STS (the Colourless one, one more to replace Rare Candy)
+1 Teammates (just a powerful card)
+2 Winona (search out some birds or Shaymin EX)
+1 Hex Maniac (annoy Greninja / Vileplume / Mew and others)
+1 Special Charge (recycle those Burning Energy)
+1 Trainers' Mail (why not?)
+2 VS Seeker (maxing these out is pretty much a given)
+1 Fire Energy (why not?)

I hope that helps a little more!

Went back and tried to work out some specific changes and came up with those below, also noticed there are 33 Trainers not 34, so you're sitting at 61 cards with that list. Below is a suggested change where Garbodor is removed, not trying to undermine your approach, just something to consider I guess:

-1 Fletchinder ROS (we want the Colourless one)
-2 Trubbish (taking out)
-2 Garbodor (taking out)
-1 N (two is enough)
-3 Acro Bike (not my favourite card, and Scorched Earth is doing this better anyway)
-2 Float Stone (not really required without Garbodor)
-1 Rare Candy (changed count as mentioned previously)

+2 Fletchinder STS (the Colourless one, one more to replace Rare Candy)
+1 Teammates (just a powerful card)
+2 Winona (search out some birds or Shaymin EX)
+1 Hex Maniac (annoy Greninja / Vileplume / Mew and others)
+1 Special Charge (recycle those Burning Energy)
+1 Trainers' Mail (why not?)
+2 VS Seeker (maxing these out is pretty much a given)
+1 Fire Energy (why not?)

I hope that helps a little more!
I chose Fletchlinder for ROS because i can attach burning energy to him, but thx for the help

I chose Fletchlinder for ROS because i can attach burning energy to him, but thx for the help

But evolving into Talonflame normal type, it would lose the burning energy. so I'm not sure how that helps, whereas the normal type one is searchable through Winona

Blacksmith was not reprinted. Scorched Earth is in FCL, Team Flare Grunt is in GEN.

Pokemons

4 Fletchling STS
1 Fletchlinder STS
4 Talonflame STS
3 Talonflame break STS
2 Trubbish BKP
2 Garbodor BKP
2 Volcanion STS
1 Shaymin ROS

Trainers

3 Sycamore
2 N
2 Winona
1 Lysandre
4 Trainers mail
4 Ultra ball
3 Bursting balloon
2 Float stone
1 Super rod
3 Vs seeker
3 Rare candy
3 Scorched earth

Energy

5 Fire energy
4 burning energy

I think this could work
"New version"

Pokemon

3 Fletching
4 Talonflame
3 Talonflame BREAK

Trainer

3 Rare Candy
2 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
2 Level Ball
2 Professor's Letter
2 Super Rod
1 Red Card

4 Professor's Sycamore
4 N
1 Teammate
1 Lysandre
1 Wally
3 Skyla
1 Pokemon Ranger
1 Steven
1 Delinquent
1 Giovanni

3 Scorthed Earth

Energy

4 Burning Energy
9 Fire Energy

This is my own version, with 80%+ win rate so far on ptcgo, only bad match up is M Manectric but he is leaving soon. Problems with your deck is you play it into the control-esque type of deck, however, this actually takes away Talonflame's capability of hitting for 150 dmg starting from turn 2. This list of mine, you can get Talonflame first turn up most of the time, even if you dont, 3x Skyla + ultra ball ensure the Rare Candy hit. I run max N and 1 Red Card due to they may draws a lot because of your mulligan. It was really easy for me to Talonflame first turn, equip R energy, hit for 40 and draws BREAK and Burn Energy, and going on the 150 dmg train from there on. This only be countered by N or Judge, but most people run 2x N only and Judge is very uncommon, so you will get away with it most of the time. I run 3x Fletching to make sure you dont lose immediately when this got countered

As of your deck, Volcanion is way too slow for my liking since there is no reliable way to dump fire energy now. Garbodor sure is strong. but its gonna dilute your deck to open reliably with Talonflame's ability. This deck of mine so far has beaten Xerneas BREAK, Yveltal variants, Darkrai variant, even Greninja since Talonflame is NOT weak to Water and reliably end the game within 5 turns, doing that without fail for ~ 50 games already. Imo this should be the right way for Talonflame BREAK and will certainly rise it to the top

Last edited:
Back