Article Trumping Trump Card: Implications of a Change and a New Format

I think the ban is the best way they could have stopped the whole reckless draw thing, but it would have been better if TPCi simply hadn't let it become a problem in the first place. I really liked the Trump card, but I think I'm glad to see it gone. Not as glad as I would be to see toad gone, but glad nonetheless. I really hope more changes are made to slow the game down a bit and make things take more thought.

i was hoping this article would suggest some good substitution for trump card for different decks

i know that scared ash & superior energy retrevial is good for standard format

as for expanded format we have super rod

in the unlimited format which only exist in the official pokemon trading card came online, we can use flower shop girl

i wonder what people might use to replace trump card for a regular primal groudon deck or a regular mega gardevior deck & so on

I want to see what Bandit Ring will bring in terms of deck speeding. We need more variety in Pokemon that can draw things from the deck to make them able to match EX Pokemon and balance each other out.

I hope this new set and changes brings more balance to the game - because that's what it needs.

I like the idea that Seismitoad is now limited to the 4 DCE in their deck. But the ban on trump care affects all my decks

i know that scared ash & superior energy retrevial is good for standard format

Scared_Ash.jpg

Fantastic article, this helped me to understand the ban much better. I'm just sad that a very interesting, well-designed, and aesthetically amazing card had to pay the price because TPCi didn't regulate their own game. No card should have to be banned, TPCi should have known that all of the draw cards they added (Slurpuff, Shaymin, etc.) and cards that benefited from such epic draw (Seismitoad, M Rayquaza) that there would be much faster gameplay, and decking out would be countered by Lysandre's Trump Card.

In short, TPCi should tailor the new cards they make to the cards they have already released.

trump card ban was good so stop crying also hypnotoxic and N are on their way out

here is a real list to limit or ban

vs seeker then leave trump card in
battle compressor
shaymin limited in number
lugia before its out lets just stop the cheap double colorless users and hit raichu and mewtwo till hes out with it also
maybe limit toads to 2
banning people from being able to use ultraball and other cards to get nothing as in you must prove you have no cards to take

dont forget the next set has a pokemon that can spam poison on both actives and a pokemon that can remove poison and there are a ton of cards i know many getting removed that do more damage on posioned pokemon

Very well written article, Christina; your humour shines through and I very much enjoyed your writing xD

I think every deck-list will change hugely now, it'll reset the playing field quite a bit. I think it's amazing that a card nobody thinks of as broken can profoundly change how someone's deck is built.

I honestly don't even use LTC in any of my decks. Yeah it was a great tool to prevent you from decking out essentially, but that's all I used it for - Not decking out. I never used it in the sense that I burned through my deck then LTC'ed everything back in to rinse and repeat. This ban doesn't really affect me or any of the decks I play. For those of you looking for alternatives, there is Sacred Ash and Energy Retrieval for Standard and Super Rod for Expanded. I've personally been experimenting a lot with Battle Compressor and I can say it combos nicely with many cards such as Energy Retrieval, Revive and Max Revive. And as others have stated, this ban was a great decision by TPCi. The whole "YOLO" draw power was ridiculously out of hand, and now it's been balanced. Not to mention, us Flareon players can finally come out again and give one last hurrah before the next rotation:D

I think TPCi failed to created a balanced game, it has been doing it well until the release of the last 2 or 3 expansions, then everything ruins. I think the main objective of LTC was to balance game, and I'm afraid this ban will unbalance the game in many others ways... but i hope TPCi know what they are doing...

Never adjusted my decks to the herderp draw spam that became possible with LTC, and now I can say I'm glad I didn't.

Also, I'm questioning whether people even care whats best for the game. So much salt over having to give up the herpderp draw spam. It's like people care more about their decks than the game as a whole.

LTC wasn't healthy for the game at all. It promoted carelessness with resources and, in my opinion, made some decks more auto pilot and less skill-based.

I think perhaps the first and last point pokemon.com made are more important than the middle two.

In any case, I hope we'll see more search-based support, rather than draw-based.

The mere existence of Trump Card was a huge problem. The true problem of this card was not the draw of powerful supporters many times a turn not the long games , not the ability to draw like crazy. The first point is the one creating all the rest. The card was clearly going against one of the 4 major ways that conclude a match.
1) Taking all prizes
2)Killing a pokemon with no pokemon in bench
3)Tapping out (surrender)
4)RUN OUT OF CARDS
There was no explanation for a card going against such a basic rule to exist, even if no decks would have used it,still the print was an uncharacteristic mistake. I consider myself an experienced tcg player and i cannot remember seing such an unfair illogical card since MTG's Jace,Mind Sculptor.
I really love playing night march + eevelutions in this format and i have no fear in saying that the deck goes toe to toe with every single deck out there as long as this horror card does not exist. Everytime i was able to outplay my opponnent all they did was just wait until they drew the trump card an then BOOM! players that were way worse than me suddenly turned everything upside down. Every card out there, in all tcgs out there serves a reason: More skilled players should win 80% against worse players. That is a motive for new players to sharpen their skills.Trump card simply ignored that rule and allowed dumbness to triumph over mind.

The mere existence of Trump Card was a huge problem. The true problem of this card was not the draw of powerful supporters many times a turn not the long games , not the ability to draw like crazy. The first point is the one creating all the rest. The card was clearly going against one of the 4 major ways that conclude a match.
1) Taking all prizes
2)Killing a pokemon with no pokemon in bench
3)Tapping out (surrender)
4)RUN OUT OF CARDS
There was no explanation for a card going against such a basic rule to exist, even if no decks would have used it,still the print was an uncharacteristic mistake. I consider myself an experienced tcg player and i cannot remember seing such an unfair illogical card since MTG's Jace,Mind Sculptor.

Lysandre's Trump Card also exists in MTG standard right now. Learn From the Past. Play two and you would never deck out. It only shuffles in your discard pile.

Back