Trubbish Toolbox

RE: Trubbish Toolbox - bad matchups in the meta

Dark Void said:
No. Just run Tools and strong draw cards and you will usually get enough. The extremely specific supporters (Elesa and Cilan) just aren't good as they have very niche uses and generally aren't strong enough to be worth a Supporter use (Skyla is totally different since by fetching a Trainer you can also fetch a Pokemon, a basic Energy, and of course Trainers in general have very varied and useful effects).
I like running 1x Cilan in my Blastoise Deck, it's really useful for pulling out that Lightning Energy you need for Kyurem as well as getting Energy into your hand, since most times I have none.. >_<

If you're not getting energy into your hand, you're either not running enough Energy (Retrieval) or you're just getting unlucky. Energy Retrieval gives you almost as much energy in your hand as Cilan does without consuming your Supporter use for the turn; if you are having trouble hitting your Lightning Energy, consider running an Energy Search or two (if that's still in the format, idr) and Skyla. Its obviously not optimal to Skyla for an Energy, but if that's all you need then its still worth it and in other situations Skyla is way more useful than Cilan.

While you don't have any "Tool Retrieval" card, Tools are still searchable via Skyla and you can easily drop most of your Tools by just cycling through your deck with Juniper and N, leaving Elesa as a dead card (even late game when your N don't give you many cards and you're out of Junipers, since by then you might not even have 3 tools left to hunt for).

Exactly. Cilan and Elesa are only useful in very specific circumstances. With enough draw Supporters, I really barely ever have the problem of not getting enough Tools in play (excluding the first couple of turns, of course). If you play Skyla rather than Elesa, you're only missing out on, max, one Tool, but it's so much more versatile in other situations.

Trubbish is a deck that really runs through its cards. With 10 Supporters, 3 Bicycles, and a ton of Basics and Items that can be played whenever, you're able to get your deck down to about 7 cards by the time you have 3 or 4 prizes left. Taking out some of that power for Elesa can really hurt your ability to get everything on the field in order to power through late-game.

I ran into this deck. Check it out

Masquerain Tool Reversal,Trubbish Tool Drop and Sigilyph tool box.

Masquerain works like Energy switch,but with Tools.
Trubbish does the job with 20x the damage for the amount of tools.
Sig' is the supplier.

Not the worst,but not the best deck to run I think.
I run Garbodor,sableye and tool scrapper in my deck. All i had to do was;tool scrap and junk hunt scrappers. Meanwhile,Garbodor stops everything.

Gusto83 said:
I ran into this deck. Check it out

Masquerain Tool Reversal,Trubbish Tool Drop and Sigilyph tool box.

Masquerain works like Energy switch,but with Tools.
Trubbish does the job with 20x the damage for the amount of tools.
Sig' is the supplier.

Not the worst,but not the best deck to run I think.
I run Garbodor,sableye and tool scrapper in my deck. All i had to do was;tool scrap and junk hunt scrappers. Meanwhile,Garbodor stops everything.

That's kind of the deck we've been talking about all along.
And yeah, Sableye is a painful matchup for Trubbish, but luckily it can kill them quite quickly. Garbodors can be OHKOd with only three tools in play, but as long as the Sableyes are kept away it should be a relatively do-able matchup. Still not favourable though.

MewTwo EX with DCE - which still see plenty of at least where I play - OHKO's Trubbish. Sableye's electric weakness, as opposed to the psychic one on DEX card, actually helps there.

Having played / tested this deck some, it is neither to be dismissed easily, nor considered the next great thing - as usual the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Fun, and along the lines of Ninetales / Amoongus, cheap & proves even the little guys can get it done.

You can also OHKO Mewtwo right back, though, and with only 5 Tools on the board (3 with a Bangle). That's not one of those matchups that gives Trubbish nightmares, as it's still getting 2 prizes for 1.

True, was just responding to the question about T1 OHKO's. Although if the MewTwo player goes 1st, you're not hitting back on your T1, and then any Trubbish you put in play with an energy is likely to get Catcher / killed & you're never going to catch up. But that's just another example of the bigger issue regarding the power of going 1st in any battle.

Sure, if your area has many decks based around getting a turn 1 X-Ball with Mewtwo then Trubbish probably isn't a great play. However, very few areas are like that: most decks have cut both DCE and Mewtwo entirely.

tripfour1 said:
Sableye's electric weakness, as opposed to the psychic one on DEX card, actually helps there.

If its Sableye DEX then,it has no weakness or resistance. Wait? did i miss read that?

I'm assuming tripfour1 meant Sigilyph.

Either way, I don't like attacking with Sigilyph. It's okay to stall a turn with, but its attack is much too costly to be viable.

Charging it up with multiple Exp. Share is definitely do-able to speed it up, but I find if I have to rely on it in those situations, I'm probably going to be losing the game.

Although Catcher KOing a Sableye for your last prize with it is oh so satisfying.

dmaster out.

scizorlicious said:
Either way, I don't like attacking with Sigilyph. It's okay to stall a turn with, but its attack is much too costly to be viable.

Sigilyph as an attacker does really help with mirror match though, OHKOing Trubbish after you run out of Trubbish yourself. Then, you cant be OHKO'd back by other Sigilyph.

That's true. Though if you run out of Trubbish first, you're not in a particularly good situation anyways.

scizorlicious said:
That's true. Though if you run out of Trubbish first, you're not in a particularly good situation anyways.

I've found out that, unless something drastic happens, mirror match comes down to whoever goes first.

ESTD (Elesa,Sigilyph,Tool Drop) how it works

As much as I dislike this deck. Now that the new Elesa trainer in Legendary Treasures will be coming out by next week, this might work out as a Tier 2 deck.

RE: ESTD (Elesa,Sigilyph,Tool Drop) how it works

It can be an absolute monster against slower set-up decks, and Elesa adds to the consistency. I personally believe that a splash of Sableye helps a bit, adding a few dark energy and using the same tech as Hammertime

Back