• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Trevenant / Gengar

ViolaBouquet

Aspiring Trainer
So her is my deck currently. I'm looking to improve it with some cards that might have come out with Generations and possibly to contend a bit more with of course Night March. I was thinking of putting in some bursting balloons to buy time or a Wally to get the Trev out faster. Right now I plan on going second and using Phantumps attack to evolve.

Pokémon: 20
  • 4 Phantump
  • 3 Trevenant
  • 3 Trevenant BREAK
  • 2 Gastly
  • 2 Haunter
  • 2 Gengar
  • 2 Remoraid
  • 2 Octillery
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 28
  • (1) Psychic’s Third Eye
  • (3) Bridgette
  • (1) Shauna
  • (2) Professor Sycamore
  • (1) Wally
  • (3) Lysandre
  • (3) Dimension Valley
  • (1) Escape Rope
  • (1) Town Map
  • (2) Float Stone
  • (1) Super Rod
  • (2) Professor’s Letter
  • (3) Ultra Ball
  • (1) Level Ball
  • (2) VS Seeker
  • (1) Evosoda
Energy: 12
  • (6) Psychic Energy
  • (4) Mystery Energy
  • (2) Double Colorless Energy
The goal with this deck is to get at least 30 on each and if the Trevenant break doesn't take them out then get the Gengar out and 1 shot each. The problem I've found is getting set up in time.

Last edited:
I currently have 3, but really only run 2 (the first 2 listed below) Trevenant decks:
  • Trevenant-Wobbuffet
  • Trevenant-Gengar EX
  • Trevenant-MGallade
But given your current list, I offer the following comments for your consideration:
  • In testing, as well as playing against, your particular version, I did not find Gengar (BKT) that useful versus other Pokémon noted above. Plus, even if you did manage to KO an opponent's first (and even second) Pokémon with Gengar, there's a good chance your opponent can respond-KO your Gengar and then you will need to recover, recycle and rebuild another Gengar line for future KOs IF you might have the time... The simple strategy of just damage spread seems to just work best in my experience.
  • The "thin" Gengar line can prove to be ineffective in many cases should any of those 6 Pokémon is prized. Why no Rare Candy?
  • A T1 Item-lock can often times cripple an opponent; so, enhancing your chances to do so can be quite advantageous.
  • With the inclusion of Octillery for card-draw support, you can also incoprorate "disruption" cards (e.g., Judge) in order to disrupt your opponent's hand.
  • Other noteworthy Pokémon that compliments the damage spread efforts of Trevenant is Aegislash (Painful Sword) and Meowstic (Ear Influence).
Following are some suggested deck changes for improvement, IMO:

-2 Gastly
-2 Haunter
-2 Gengar
-1 Psychic's Third Eye - not a "strong" Supporter
-2 Bridgette - 1 should be sufficient
-2 Lysandre - with a damage spread deck strategy, there is not a lot of need to move opponent's Pokémon to active position
-1 Escape Rope - not critical
-1 Town Map - not critical
-1 Professor's Letter - 1 should be sufficient with 2 Octillery
-2 DC - not really needed - remember Dimension Valley helps too

+1 Delinquent - more disruption to your opponent
+2 Level Ball - to help get more Pokémon into play faster
+2 Professor Sycamore - provides strong, consistent card-draw support
+2 Judge - disrupts your opponent's hand knowing you still have Octillery as backup card draw
+1 Super Rod - more resource recovery
+2 VS Seeker - critical Item that should be maxed-out
+2 Psychic

For the remaining 4 slots, consider incorporating Wobbuffet and/or Meowstic to take advantage of your damage spread.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Are you talking about the ability lock Wobba or the damage prevention one?
He's talking about the ability lock Wobbuffet from XY - Phantom Forces. That ability is nice because it will stall while you take time to set up your other Pokemon, but the reason to choose Wobbuffet over any other Pokemon that will stall is because for 1P you can capitalize on your damage spread that you've already set up. If you managed to get the defending Pokemon to have damage counters for half their health, then Wobbuffet can KO them.

Thank you. I already have a Wobbuffet deck that is basically a stall deck utilizing bats. I could just combine them. With Wobbu I was using frighting fury belt. Do you think there is still a way to fit in somewhere in the deck?

Are you talking about the ability lock Wobba or the damage prevention one?
94169_150w.jpg

As @Max Carter mentioned, this particular Wobbuffet (from either PHF or GEN set) has an Ability, Bide Barricade, that will block other, non-Psychic Pokémon Abilities when this Wobbuffet is in the Active position. This can be helpful when playing against opponents who rely upon Shaymin EX's Setup or other important Abilities. Further, when Dimension Valley is in play, Wobbuffet can use its Psychic Assault attack to KO opponent's Pokémon after a sufficient amount of damage has been spread earlier by Trevenant/Trevenant BREAK.

Do you think there is still a way to fit in somewhere in the deck?
Yes. Based upon the suggested changes referenced above, there are 4 available slots for additional cards. so, I would suggest you consider filling at least 3 of those slots with Wobbuffet.

Last edited:
Wobbuffet also will really give Vileplume decks fits. Blocks the Shaymin's and Vileplume item lock, then just retreat to item lock your opponent with his own card.

Back