Treasures of Ruin Cards, New Evolution / Devolution Technical Machines Revealed from SV4!

I see a trend lately to make Devolution a more playable mechanic. We've got a pretty good decolution attack (was it Aerodactyl?), and now a mass-devolution TM. I think that's a pretty cool experiment and I hope the mechanic will have interesting gameplay consequences.
One thing I wouldn't like to see is to consider it a "Rare Candy counter". The best solution to Rare Candy making evolutions boring/too strong is to remove Rare Candy, not to have a 1:1 counter.

The thing is, this shouldn't really kill Gardevoir decks. The recent trend in Gardy decks is actually to slow setup your board, either using mirage step to put in kirlias straight on board or to just manual evolve into kirlias. You don't really rare candy gardevoirs until the end game where you need to keep atleast 3 ralts lines on the board. This strat typically puts you down two prizes but that's not a detriment as you also run two reversals to keep up your burst over two turns to catch up.

Ancient TM Rock my beloved.
Now it can just be smacked some lame ass 1-prizer basic and still trip balls. Wonderful.
(TM Rock has to be on evos)
1694450735230.png

Last edited:
If you devolve a Pokémon with damage on it that damage might be enough to KO the baby Pokémon below.

Or alternatively, in a format full of Rare candy decks you force your opponent to find another Rare Candy or they just can't evolve at all
Ok, that makes sense. Didn't even think about Rare Candy.

Nice way to change up stage 2s for those going second. Thanks, TM Evolution tool card!

Turn 2 going first is now equalized by means of the second going player needing the stage 1 from deck on the turn 2(turn 1 going second)attack, then if they need to go stage 2, no more needing the candy mid-turn, as when it is their turn again, they can get the stage 2 in hand to manual evolve. As for stage 2 exes, unless their stage 1 has 150+ max HP, which not many stage 1s that have a stage 2 ex have, they are more prone to getting 'Citied to the graveyard over time. No stage1s and corresponding basics outside of lost zone? No way to go stage 2...

Last edited:
Charizard/Pideot ex rely on rare candy - they mostly dont play the stage1s at all. So they open great with 2 turn rare candy double charizard/pidgeot you attache the devolution TM to whatever and use it. With 3 rare candy gone and basically no stage 1s they are DEAD.
...Not to mention, to add to the above point, the devolution TM is more dehabilitating to Evolution decks as a whole. In decks that run Kirlia for draw, a minimum of 6 counters on stage 1s everywhere, will virtually end the game by prize count unless one of those stage 1s have gone stage 2, at which point, 2 more counters are needed to put an amount into discard that will spike the need for Pokémon retrieval cards for survivability after their basics are KO'd and some prize cards drawn by opponent. Pidgot ex and charizard, prepare to fall out of meta hard post-devolution! I can imagine lost city getting banned for that reason alone come raging surf, as TM devolution could combo with it to devastate Gardy and other stage 2 decks and force decks to 4 counter-stadiums(to bump lost city) and 4 super rods or even Miriam for Pokémon retrieval from discard, or more simply, away from stage 2s altogether, all due to the devolution alone. Lost city will be an Uber strategy card that will make it too easy to win games by deck control post-devolution. Deck manipulation? Not a easy feat in the meta through this point. But I have a feeling that devolution manipulation becoming norm in the meta could be toxic for championship tcg play...

^ Hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like devolution will turn Standard almost, if not completely, into speed vs. effect prevention once more, similar to expanded. Basics that don't need to evolve to get good are the best pokemon in such speed-fests, while evolving will only serve to hurt your deck performance if not guarded by ability effects similar to toedscruel ex's. Hopefully, Devolution is not enough to turn standard into such an equivalent of Expanded in terms of game speed...

PS, Paradox basics, please save Standard from a meta where Evolution is a extreme but necessary hassle to successfully pull off without extreme cost... :(

Last edited:
Is it just me who find ting-lu a slight shame, It would Be SOO much better for FFC that way we could Gate + Attach From hand 220 burst, maybe like a fighting type zam for lz, instead the card will most likely stay mediocre until [F] excel, (which with pkmns track record is never.)

Klefki using the evolution TM could be a really nice way to setup while disrupting your opponent, in much the same way as Spiritomb AR back in the day. Similarly, Diancie can also make good use of the tool whilst also protecting the Pokemon that evolve. Going second, Jet energy + Arven (for VIP and the tool) gives you essentially everything you need to start setting up your board behind a Klefki/Diancie/Snorlax etc.

Diancie might not be the best user. It only protects Basics, so once you use the attack to evolve, they're no longer protected.

Devolution is nuts. The biggest problem Lost Box has with Charizard and Arceus is their bulk, but since both are evolution, if you spread the damage around with Sableye, then with whatever Pokemon you want (even a Comfey) you can potentially get a 3 prizes turn out of it, assuming you get 2 Lost Mines off. Not to mention you really slow down that reliance Charizard has on Rare Candy.

The Treasures of Ruin aren't good.

SIT mismagius ftw... i hope if they ever release that pttp mismagous ex its playable so a combo like this could be fun

Attachments

• SWSH12_EN_64.png
    SWSH12_EN_64.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 5
  • trainers-card-3.png
    trainers-card-3.png
    648.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230912-012819_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20230912-012819_Reddit.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 5
  • SWSH12_EN_64.png
    SWSH12_EN_64.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 5
I really don't understand the point of the Devolution TM.
Why waste an attack putting your opponent's evolution cards in their hand if they can just evolve it again during their turn?
At least if you were returning those cards to their deck, it would be useful.
Or if you were at least doing damage to something, like the MEW Aerodactyl.
Useful again rare candied pokemon, and any pokemon that has significant damage counters on it. Wont work against evolution pokemon thst was placed on the bench, like with zoroark or hypnos psy call

I really don't understand the point of the Devolution TM.
Why waste an attack putting your opponent's evolution cards in their hand if they can just evolve it again during their turn?
At least if you were returning those cards to their deck, it would be useful.
Or if you were at least doing damage to something, like the MEW Aerodactyl.
if u rare candied into a baxcalibur or grade it leaves your opponent stuck until they can get another rare candy. In today's meta (mainly against baxcalubur) this can SERIOUSLY stall some decks

Devolution seems like the Pokemon Company is dropping a big nerf against Rare Candy running rampant. But it still means you need to waste a tool slot on the attached pokemon.

Back