Trade Logging/ Keeping Track of Trades/Trading up for new players

Puckstopper20

Aspiring Trainer
The Art of Trading: Getting our Hustle On

[align=justify][align=justify][align=justify][align=justify]
By:Puckstopper20| Target Audience: Beginner - Intermediate| Word Count:
[/align][/align][/align][/align]

Introduction:
What's up Pokebeach! This is Puckstopper20 with an article on Online Trading, and some ways to get the cards you need without breaking the bank.

About Me:
I've only been in the competitive scene for about a year now, after buying my first booster box which was Call of Legends. Lol. Anyway, I started playing casually at the local league, getting a hang of the game after not playing for over 10 years. I've learned a lot in the past year, and my collection of cards is decent in my opinion.. The last booster box I bought was Noble Victories, and through trading, I've had at least one of every EX, or rare card that has been released until now. My goal for this article is to teach, or for some, go over some methods of trading to obtain better, and newer cards.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Example: Lets say we want a Hydreigon (Dark Trance) from Dragons Exalted, but we don't want to fork over the money to buy it.(Currently ~$15)
All we have at our disposal are some primes, a few playable rares/uncommons, and some playable T/S/S. (Basically, stuff not a lot of people are interested in, or stuff that can be hard to get rid of.)

Since we don't have anything too appealing that can net me a Hydreigon, we're going to try and 'trade up' for it. My use of the term "trading up" means to trade stuff that doesn't have a high value, for other cards that have a greater value through trades.

Objective: Ultimately trade our junk/"stuff nobody wants" for a Hydreigon (Dragons EXalted)

Please keep in mind that this example will be more based towards players trying to get competitive or collectible cards.

Step 1: Trade for a "hot" or sought after card.

If we don't have competitive cards, let's get some!

For this first example, we have come to terms with a 'collector,' (as opposed to a 'player' or 'competitive player') and he'll take 3-4 of my soon to be rotated, cheap primes, for his Pokemon Catcher. (A reasonably valuable/ sought after card.)

Trade 1

W Prime
X Prime
Y Prime -------------------------------------> x1 Pokemon Catcher
Z Prime

After completing our first trade, we now have some decent trade bait, but it is doubtful that we can get a 1 for 1 trade that includes a Catcher for a Hydreigon, so lets try to build up a little more of a desirable collection.

Note:In my experience, players are more likely to trade a valuable or "hot" Pokemon card for another Pokemon card, rather than trading it for a few T/S/S so lets try to get a decent EX.

Step 2:Trade the Pokemon Catcher along with something else for Raikou EX.

Remember those Max Potions you pulled at the Emerging Powers Pre Release a few months ago!? They're worth a little something now! Take those out of your trade binder and shop them around with your catcher!

Tip:Lately, I've seen many traders set up things called "Auto Deals" where you list some cards you'll trade for another certain card, no questions asked, as long as the other trader agrees. I've had success with these, so they're definitely worth a shot.

So, let's set up an Auto Deal.

Auto Deal!

My:

x1 Pokemon Catcher
x2 Max Potion

Your:

Raikou EX

Now we have our Auto Deal set up, letting people who come to your thread know that you're willing to make this trade no questions asked. This doesn't mean you wait for a deal to strike, stay on the hunt, and get your hustle on. Trades don't always fall on your lap.

Trade 2: Yay, someone has taken up my auto deal!

x1 Pokemon Catcher
x2 Max Potion
----------------------------------------------------------------------------> Raikou EX

We're one step closer, or maybe even ready to trade for a Hydreigon!

From here, there are a few things we can do.

1. Trade Up (Trade Raikou EX + something else for a more valuable card)
2. Trade Laterally (Trade Raikou EX for Hydreigon)
3. Trade Down (Trade Raikou EX for a few cards that can match, or come close to its value. I.E, x3 Gothitelle, x4 Accelgor, and x2 Rare Candy)

Since our ultimate goal is to trade for a Hydreigon, let's work towards making a 'lateral' trade.

Step 3: Make a lateral trade for a Hydreigon

Tip:
Here is where the negotiating skills came make or break the deal. Most of the time, traders who have the "hot" card control the trade since you come to them looking for a card. When heading into a trade, always keep in mind that they will say no, or ask for "something small" or a "deal sweetener." This is pretty frustrating as a trader since you still have to add a little something and take a loss, but this is how it works sometimes.

Trade 3:

After you find someone to trade with, make an offer to trade your Raikou EX for their Hydreigon. Hopefully, they'll say yes and take the deal straight up. Many traders will accept the trade since they're getting an EX in return of a Rare Holo.

If they ask for a "deal sweetener," all you have to do is work with them. Most of the time, traders have a 'Low Wants/Thrown In Wants" section in their thread. Try to look for these before the initial offer to avoid a hassle, and giving them a little extra to begin with to make the trade look appealing to them.

My:
Raikou EX
x2 Cheren (EPO)

Your:
Hydreigon (Dragons Exalted)

Congratulations!!

You just completed your ultimate goal, and traded for a Hydreigon without spending more than a few cents for postage! Let's take a look and see what was traded.

Trade Tree:

W Prime
X Prime -----> x1 Pokemon Catcher + x2 Max Potion ------> Raikou EX + x2 Cheren ---> Hydreigon
Y Prime
Z Prime

In essence, all we really traded for Hydreigon was x4 Primes, x2 Max Potions, and x2 Cheren! In reality, I doubt that someone would have made this trade, but through trading up and negotiating, we were able to get other cards that made it possible to reach our goal!

Happy trading!

Thanks for reading, and please give feedback! Anything that can help make this article better is greatly appreciated!

Back