Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
In what should be obvious news to longtime fans, TPCi has announced they will be revealing the first Scarlet & Violet cards at this year’s Worlds! The event will take place in London from August 18th to 21st.
“Fans will get a peek at the first cards from the upcoming Pokémon TCG: Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet series.”
Worlds 2016 was the first event that made a spectacle of TCG announcements, something fans like myself had wanted TPCi to do for years. At this Worlds they unveiled the Pokemon-GX mechanic with the partial reveals of Solgaleo-GX and Lunala-GX. At the time, the cards were missing their HP, Stage, and attack costs to disguise the fact they are evolutions, a first for...

Continue reading...

Polaris

I'm betting on one or both of these:
1. They could just show the legendaries with the new gimmick name ("Pokemon T" or whatever) and hint at a new/returning mechanic (multi-type?)
2. They could lean into the fact the pokemon can be unusual types; even if we don't see the HP or moves, we could see a pokemon we already know the type of with a different type than normal.

Whatever it is, I hope the card layout is cool; GX and Vs we're stylistically pretty boring. The crystal aesthetic could be cool or super annoying, I guess we'll see.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Seriously though, I would not expect anything groundbreaking after Vs were mechanically unrelated to Dyna/Giga. The only aspect of Terastalling they kind of cannot avoid is type-changing.
The best I can hope for is the end of triple-prizers in favor of double-prizers with color-shifted Pokemon.

The Blast Boys

Aspiring Trainer
I think it would be cool if we got a whole new Trainer type for the Terastal phenomenon. Packing that away in just a new evolution or tool seems like a copout.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Whatever it is, I hope the card layout is cool; GX and Vs we're stylistically pretty boring.

curious what you mean by this. not a fan of over-the-top card templates (and i think in many ways full arts were a mistake. GX were whatever but V template seemed to be getting deviantart-y, so it's definitely already near/at the upper limit of what i'll tolerate them doing)

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
The Battle Styles and VSTAR trailers can also be included as evidence of what we might see. It's reasonable to assume some version of these trailers would've been shown at Worlds had it happened.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
If I have to guess for the layout, those pokemon T, TT, TX or whatever their name they get will have a very similar treatment of the Radiant cards. I justify that based on the appearance of those pokemon with the Terastal phenomena. As for the new layout, most likely an upgraded version of the sun and moon / sword and shield layout. It would be cool if they bring back held item like they did in the DP series.

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
I’m betting on clear playing cards so your Pokémon can have crazy hats and crowns with special effects.

Maybe some motorcycles.

D6C2B6E1-BDB7-4EAC-96C6-AEB205B2BC6D.jpeg

Soysaucey

Aspiring Trainer
I think the cards will all be something like TERA (insert pokemon name). Then maybe they'll have the shattered holo effect that some cards have had in the past. Im also guessing the energy cards will have the energy look like a crystal effect thing.

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
I think the cards will all be something like TERA (insert pokemon name). Then maybe they'll have the shattered holo effect that some cards have had in the past. Im also guessing the energy cards will have the energy look like a crystal effect thing.
Ooooh, actually, TERA is way cooler! Imagine pulling out a TERA Rayquaza versus a Rayquaxa T. Come on, they'd be stupid to not see this.

Which means we will definitely be using T cards in 6 months...

Soysaucey

Aspiring Trainer
Ooooh, actually, TERA is way cooler! Imagine pulling out a TERA Rayquaza versus a Rayquaxa T. Come on, they'd be stupid to not see this.

Which means we will definitely be using T cards in 6 months...
Well they used the whole break instead of B cards, so theres a chance 🤷

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
If I have to guess for the layout, those pokemon T, TT, TX or whatever their name they get will have a very similar treatment of the Radiant cards. I justify that based on the appearance of those pokemon with the Terastal phenomena. As for the new layout, most likely an upgraded version of the sun and moon / sword and shield layout. It would be cool if they bring back held item like they did in the DP series.

I haven't thought about a layout change, I hope they do something more bold, the BW/XY era frame was the best one imo, the SM one was an absolute disaster, overtly minimalistic and boring, a mind boggling downgrade. The SWSH one is a bit better but that's not saying much, anything is better than SM's.

1659832707435.png 1659832726522.png

It's so much worse that it's not even funny. Hope they bring back some flare, some details. Even the color of the body of the card was more muted. Yikes.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
I mean Radiants are just shiny pokemon by another name.
I wasn't referring to the pokemon, I was referring to the physical card. These pokemon sparkle like diamond, and my guess is that the card layout will have such treatment similar to the Radiant physical card, not that these pokemon will be in its shiny form (alternate colors).

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
I haven't thought about a layout change, I hope they do something more bold, the BW/XY era frame was the best one imo, the SM one was an absolute disaster, overtly minimalistic and boring, a mind boggling downgrade. The SWSH one is a bit better but that's not saying much, anything is better than SM's.

View attachment 16714 View attachment 16715

It's so much worse that it's not even funny. Hope they bring back some flare, some details. Even the color of the body of the card was more muted. Yikes.
I agree, I do like the BW too because it was a much upgraded version of japanese 1st generation cards. The patterns show that there a good chance that the layout will have a change. For the EX Series layout, it was used for the Ruby/Sapphire and FRLG. For the DP series, it was used for DP/Platinum and HGSS. BW and XY used similar design and SM and SWSH sued theirs. If this patterns hold, then we should expect a new layout. Now, one question is will it have a pokedex entry? The EX series cut out the pokedex entry and gave more attack options to some pokemon.

Polaris

View attachment 16714 View attachment 16715

Gonna disagree,HGSS layout is where it's at