JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
The Pokemon Company International has published updated COVID-19 protocols, including those for local events. This document details requirements for sanctioned events, including local events like League Challenges and League Cups and larger events like Regional Championships and International Championships. As both players and staff will be expected to comply with these protocols as events return, it is important that all individuals that will be participating in any sanctioned Pokémon event review the full document here.
A handful of the standout details are highlighted below and the FAQ is posted at the foot of this article.

All individuals present at events must wear an appropriate face mask at all...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Asrialys

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think this suggests the return of Cups and Challenges anytime soon. Local events are considered unsanctioned. Premier events are currently recognized as Regional, International, and World Championships.

Sjin

Aspiring Trainer
Glad to see TCPi taking things seriously. With the enormous turnout Premier events have had in rhe past, it only makes sense to have strict requirements. When 500+ players and staff will be traveling long distances for Regionals and Internationals, more lax rules surrounding masks, vaccination and testing would likely lead to those becoming superspreader events.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Glad to see TCPi taking things seriously. With the enormous turnout Premier events have had in rhe past, it only makes sense to have strict requirements. When 500+ players and staff will be traveling long distances for Regionals and Internationals, more lax rules surrounding masks, vaccination and testing would likely lead to those becoming superspreader events.

I think it's also very much appreciated by the larger event hosts - they now have a policy they can point to when people inevitably complain, that isn't theirs. It will make it much easier to manage customer service - and people are well warned about it.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
There are places that have lifted mask mandates, or are close to lifting them. The funny part isn't the exact requirements, it's the fact that TPCi is pretending they can (and should) override local mandates. All they had to say was "Okay people, just organise tournaments if your local government allows it and follow their laws and requirements". No further statements were needed.

Local mask mandates/etc. are irrelevant (unless they're more stringent than this in which case of course they must be followed). TPCi is saying that, *if we sanction a tournament*, you must follow our rules (just like plenty of businesses still require masks even if the locality no longer does, at least where I live). Of course you're welcome to not follow their rules and not run sanctioned tournaments, but *for those stores who run sanctioned tournaments* following the rules is a must. You're saying some people may not follow the rules; that's always been a possibility, with plenty of other rules - TPCi doesn't have a police force, but they do enforce their rules where they find out about violations, and there are plenty of ways to find those violations out.

The point of these rules is to have a consistent set of minimum rules that players can expect when entering any Sanctioned tournament. This is good for those who like the idea of mask mandates and social distancing (as they can more easily decide if they feel comfortable playing knowing the set guidelines) and for those who do not (so they're not surprised by the rules, and can decide if they want to follow the rules or not, and if not, not come and avoid wasting their time).

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
Hey everyone, I've deleted several comments that went off topic or were turning into arguments. Please keep it civil, thank you. :)

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Hey everyone, I've deleted several comments that went off topic or were turning into arguments. Please keep it civil, thank you. :)
Isn't that a bit of an understatement? You've deleted all of my comments, including one that was a response directly to the article, but yet left one that directly quotes it.

D2B2WIN1

Aspiring Trainer
Reminder: Send complaints to PTCi.

We have the right to complain about this. It is an issue that both sides aren't seeing eye-to-eye on and deserves an actual discussion. I understand that the conversation was going off the rails but, it is one of those topics that gets everyone heated. We will try to remain civil and respectful on the public forum.

HershelLayton

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly even without COVID, it gets so hot and stuffy in these places that I'd rather wear a mask. Hell, DQ's for bad smelling players probably isn't the worst idea

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
Good. These should have been put in place like 9 months ago, but better late than never, I suppose.

Adman2099

Aspiring Trainer
UK Regionals are going ahead (albeit with about a month til the event so good luck getting a hotel etc)
Local games will be sanctioned again!

Now if we could just get Professor and Organiser applications open again in the UK that would be amazing. My entire county is without a sanctioned store currently.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Yeah, these rules are hardcore, but are what you get when you 100% acknowledge the reality of Omicron COVID, packing a bunch of people together indoors for hours, and actually caring if participants and beyond get sick.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Finally no more handshakes.
I hated to give an handshake to those filthy topdeckers after i lose to insane luck
Yet, with the requirements regarding the problem of neg test day before, 3 feet away between matches plus sanitize before and after match, I believe such no handshakes will only fly in regionals: For some good reasons, pokemon leagues are too cumbersome at the present vs. an event that you have more time to prepare for: If you have to get tested every week, unless you have self-test kits, which is something not everyone can afford, then it could be hard to maintain your life activities for rest of week on top of trying to get a negative test result in time to make a league event that could have headaches with all those requirements, proof that all in-league tourneys will have to wait until everything's back to normal just for an easier restart...

RHowford

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
What counts as proof of a negative test? Is an email or text confirmation of a negative result sufficient? I live in the UK and whenever we report a test result there's a text and email reply saying the details of the result.