TPCi Files Exciting New Tech Patent for Tracking Cards During Gameplay!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
We’ve just discovered that TPCi has filed a patent for an RFID tag system that will allow cards to be tracked during gameplay. The technology is intended for livestreams.
A Pokemon card is inserted into a card sleeve embedded with an RFID tag. As each card is inserted, a camera photographs the card and looks up its identity. Thus, each card sleeve is mapped to a virtual Pokemon card.

TPCi-Card-Tracking-Patent-2-200x142.png

As a player draw cards, an RFID reader determines which cards left their deck. This way, the identity, location, and movement of cards can be tracked during gameplay. This allows commentators and viewers to instantly see which cards are in a player’s hand, discard pile, and other potential scenarios during gameplay. This will open new opportunities for commentary and presentation. It will also reduce the need for cameras to capture player’s (often obscured) hands...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Although I believe this is a positive change in the right direction, wait til someone hacks the RFID system so they can continue cheating, like how PokeBeach site was hacked.

Although I believe this is a positive change in the right direction, wait til someone hacks the RFID system so they can continue cheating, like how PokeBeach site was hacked.

How? So when their cards are on live camera and don't match the RFID they get caught regardless then end up life banned and a high chance of being put in jail?

I wonder how thick an rfid sleeve would feel, cool idea for streams and good to see that tpci didn't do nothing during 2019 break

This is not to prevent cheating, it's to make it easier for commentators to do their job and easier to show stuff on stream. Also a closed system like this is in no way comparable to a website.

Last edited:
I can only imagine the fun of telling players they have to swap sleeeves before a round if they get picked for a stream, and then the fun of being called out for cheating if one of these rfid sleeves was marked in some way by the person using it beforehand.

It's a nice idea, but it does open up pretty big windows for new, different kinds of cheating.

If the tags allow the commentators to know exactly where all cards are at all times - well then anyone who could gain access to that system will also have that knowledge. Your own upcoming draw, or the contents of your opponents hand.

Back