Blog Top 6 Cards from Fates Collide!

"it’s pretty good for countering decks that run Megas (which is nearly every deck in the format)".

At this point in time, this statement could not be further from the truth. Megas are seeing the least play they have since the introduction of the Mechanic in the first XY set. Currently there are Only 4 Mega Evolution decks that have seen Moderate success this season. Those being, Manectric, Rayquaza, Mewtwo, and Alakazam (The latter two failed to see much play at all aside from a few small finishes). The reason that these decks don't see much play is due to the large presence of Night March in our current format. This did not significantly lower the quality of this article for myself, nor do I think it will for everyone else, but just something I noticed that wasn't very accurate (I actually agree with most of the rest of the article:)).

"it’s pretty good for countering decks that run Megas (which is nearly every deck in the format)".

At this point in time, this statement could not be further from the truth. Megas are seeing the least play they have since the introduction of the Mechanic in the first XY set. Currently there are Only 4 Mega Evolution decks that have seen Moderate success this season. Those being, Manectric, Rayquaza, Mewtwo, and Alakazam (The latter two failed to see much play at all aside from a few small finishes). The reason that these decks don't see much play is due to the large presence of Night March in our current format. This did not significantly lower the quality of this article for myself, nor do I think it will for everyone else, but just something I noticed that wasn't very accurate (I actually agree with most of the rest of the article:)).

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to carry out proper research about popular decks in future articles. Glad you enjoyed the rest of it.

"Anyway, after using Alakazam-EX’s attack, Suppression, you Mega Evolve it, playing Alakazam Spirit Link so your turn doesn’t end, and then attack with Zen Force"

I don't think that's how attacking works.

"Anyway, after using Alakazam-EX’s attack, Suppression, you Mega Evolve it, playing Alakazam Spirit Link so your turn doesn’t end, and then attack with Zen Force"

I don't think that's how attacking works.

Hi, it's true you can't Mega Evolve right after your attack. Which is why I said later that this process takes two turns in total.

Hello @glofer

Your article seemed to read well; for the most part I understood what you were saying and the article didn't seem too short or long. Some of your analysis seems hard to substantiate. I do not want to discourage you from writing articles, but I would like to provide some help and that means being honest in my criticisms. I enjoy writing about Pokémon myself, but I don't get to play much competitively either, mostly because I currently am only playing via the PTCGO.

There are a few websites you can reference to help you stay abreast of the competitive metagame, and fortunately one of them is pokemon.com itself. You may have to poke around a bit though, but for the last year or two they have been posting the top cut for Championship Series events in the US, and sometimes other locations as well. This includes full deck lists, not just deck names, so it is really good for seeing what is not only being used, but working well.

I like the mini reviews, none of it is wrong, it's just opinion based. When I sit at a table the only mega decks across from me might be rayquaza or manetric, not too common but then again I play competitive and you stated at the beginning that you mostly play casual, with that said when I play PTCGO mega decks do make up most of the format! I play against sceptile, alakazam, altaria, audino, mewtwo, I've even seen ampharos! Online in quick play battles mega catcher may be worth considering, highly competitive events is a different beast though. But when referencing "the format" people assume it means "the meta" when you may just be talking cards from XY-on, if I'm making sense, but there's a plethora of websites to keep up with the top decks, hope to see more from you!

Hello @glofer

Your article seemed to read well; for the most part I understood what you were saying and the article didn't seem too short or long. Some of your analysis seems hard to substantiate. I do not want to discourage you from writing articles, but I would like to provide some help and that means being honest in my criticisms. I enjoy writing about Pokémon myself, but I don't get to play much competitively either, mostly because I currently am only playing via the PTCGO.

There are a few websites you can reference to help you stay abreast of the competitive metagame, and fortunately one of them is pokemon.com itself. You may have to poke around a bit though, but for the last year or two they have been posting the top cut for Championship Series events in the US, and sometimes other locations as well. This includes full deck lists, not just deck names, so it is really good for seeing what is not only being used, but working well.
I like the mini reviews, none of it is wrong, it's just opinion based. When I sit at a table the only mega decks across from me might be rayquaza or manetric, not too common but then again I play competitive and you stated at the beginning that you mostly play casual, with that said when I play PTCGO mega decks do make up most of the format! I play against sceptile, alakazam, altaria, audino, mewtwo, I've even seen ampharos! Online in quick play battles mega catcher may be worth considering, highly competitive events is a different beast though. But when referencing "the format" people assume it means "the meta" when you may just be talking cards from XY-on, if I'm making sense, but there's a plethora of websites to keep up with the top decks, hope to see more from you!

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I'll definitely make an effort to research more sites about competitive play.

Except that they'll probably be attacking with that mega...

Mega Catcher could be used to disrupt Energy stacking before the Mega's ready to attack.

Replace it all (except Glaceon EX) with Serperior.

True, but I don't see how Serperior can replace Mew for Night March.

Except that they'll probably be attacking with that mega...

Yea they generally do attack with said megas, but in most mega decks they'll set up more than just one mega at a time, plus the option to retreat a damaged mega is always there, and the key words were "may be worth considering". Never said you had to run it ;) Haven't truly tested a format without night march, MAYBE megas will be the front runners and this will help, MAYBE it's just a card that'll sit in a box never used, I think it's fun card either way, again with that said I wouldn't put it in a competitive deck just yet, but for funsies it "may be worth considering" ;)

Back