ChristopherJames

Aspiring Trainer
There is no way I can just choose 3 because they are all amazing. I wish every single one of these could just be made into a special set or something. It's a little sad only one will be made into a promo card.

HershelLayton

Aspiring Trainer
1649698846363.png
Why the hell are we still getting 5ban graphics cards when there are people infinitely people at doing CGI renders of Pokemon?

I'm not the type to be a boomer and say "hurr 3d bad", but Christ is it embarrassing we aren't see more art like the type submitted in this contest.

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
It's genuinely astounding how many great art there is here. I really want punico to win for their Greninja artwork!

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
View attachment 16516
Why the hell are we still getting 5ban graphics cards when there are people infinitely people at doing CGI renders of Pokemon?

I'm not the type to be a boomer and say "hurr 3d bad", but Christ is it embarrassing we aren't see more art like the type submitted in this contest.
Honestly, and I mean this with all respect...

Even the most mediocre art shown in these 300 submissions are better than 90% of all actual Pokemon cards. As usual, fans draw better Pokemon artwork...

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
This amazing art further reinforces my position.
Mysterious Stranger: "You may have a Pokemon IRL, but you much choose with in 2 sec..."
Me: "BUBBASAUR!"

HershelLayton

Aspiring Trainer

Even the most mediocre art shown in these 300 submissions are better than 90% of all actual Pokemon cards. As usual, fans draw better Pokemon artwork...
Hmm, a few things on that matter

1) Pokemon releases several sets a year now where 4 of those sets are averaging 200+ cards. Even if we ignore SR's that's like 150 cards with new art. There probably aren't many artists who can draw well enough that quickly. It's similar to the reason why a lot of artists have bad albums after their first/second. Sure, you can go all out on the first release, but can you do it consistently?

2) The artwork probably also looks nicer because we're seeing it all at a huge size and not on a card. It makes me wish we did have the artwork for a lot of cards, however. The Charizard V alt art is absolutely beautiful.

Look at Brilliant Stars for example: https://www.pokellector.com/sets/SWSH09-Brilliant-Stars
Some of those generic cards have breathtaking art. Farfetch'd, infernape, liepard, etc.

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm, a few things on that matter

1) Pokemon releases several sets a year now where 4 of those sets are averaging 200+ cards. Even if we ignore SR's that's like 150 cards with new art. There probably aren't many artists who can draw well enough that quickly. It's similar to the reason why a lot of artists have bad albums after their first/second. Sure, you can go all out on the first release, but can you do it consistently?

2) The artwork probably also looks nicer because we're seeing it all at a huge size and not on a card. It makes me wish we did have the artwork for a lot of cards, however. The Charizard V alt art is absolutely beautiful.

Look at Brilliant Stars for example: https://www.pokellector.com/sets/SWSH09-Brilliant-Stars
Some of those generic cards have breathtaking art. Farfetch'd, infernape, liepard, etc.
The solution is to go back the size of sets during Sun and Moon to Forbidden Light. We have way too many mediocre arts and cards as it is

HershelLayton

Aspiring Trainer
The solution is to go back the size of sets during Sun and Moon to Forbidden Light. We have way too many mediocre arts and cards as it is
Yeah I agree tbh. Some non-AA full arts look nice, but sets are way too big. Nothing worse than pulling a garbage full art that is just there for filler

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
Is my art okay?
Your artwork is fine, but it could be better. Better in a sense that you can add more details, as well as different theme and background. I am no artist at all, but for me my preference of pokemon artwork are Hitoshi Ariga, Kouki Saitou, and Masakazu Fukuda for their 3D-like style. I recall the episode of your drawing, the mayor had a bulbasaur and abandoned it. I think a better theme is a happy bulbasaur, something that people can smile about.

Have a look at this art below:

Why do I like this design? Because it uses many colors, it has more items (different trees, hills, etc.), and it is realistic (detailed). Keep in mind though that judges are people and people are bias so you may need some luck to win. If you're in it to win, you're may need to change up your style.

beatbox2000

Aspiring Trainer

I don't think that is the case since the SM or maybe SWSH era.

Ignoring the awful CGI URs and recolours, which none of these would be, there aren't many artists who should be dumped. First comes to mind is Shigenori Negishi. Also hatachu. And Kyoko Umemoto.

But these days there are lots of brilliant artwork and artists in the sets.

My favourite of these is the Bulbasaur by

濱田むぎさん​

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Glad to see people posting their favorites. And if anyone else who submitted an entry decides to share their submissions, keep your critiques constructive, please.

Agosta44

Aspiring Trainer
I came across the art contest a few days before the deadline, and sent it over to a friend of mine to see if she wanted to participate in it. I'm a little bummed she didn't make top cut, but I wanted to share her submission she was able to make in the little time she had.

aweeks_2022_pkmnTCGillus_post.jpg

sonicjms

Bench, Call, Ride, Summon, Cast
I know it's not the most beautiful piece but osare さん's scizor art is amazing storytelling in one drawing

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer

I'm not sure that Scizor is a render – but more to the point, I don't think 5ban is a bad artist/group(?) at all. They're good at capturing a variety of Pokémon in dynamic poses and doing it in high volume, possibly even on short notice (or some other factor that leads to Creatures being so amenable to commissioning so much work from them). Their work is fine. It's always just a question of oversaturation – even the undisputed master, Mitsuhiro Arita, would begin to grow tiring if he was doing this much artwork, for so many sets, for so long. Variety is the spice of life, and the TCG.