anythingbutgrass

Aspiring Trainer
Tournaments:
Cities: Toledo
12/22 Darkrai/Hydreigon
2 (+1)/3
Round 1 Tornadus EX/Darkrai L
Props:
Not the worst set up, I didn't think that I made a whole lot of misplays.
Slops:
T2 Tornadus set up with stadium really demolished me (T1 with DCE)
Lost by a good amount (3 or 4 prizes)

Round 2 Blastoise/Keldeo L
Props
I did fairly well in terms amount of misplays (not magnitude). The match was ok, but two of my three dinos were prized (and one of two catchers), so I didn't get hydreigon up until T5 or so.
Slops:
I literally threw the match away by benching shaymin ex before I was ready to play it. I almost certainly would have won the match if I had not sat it on the bench for a couple of turns. A catcher and that was game.

Round 3 Mirror with mew two ex L

Round 4
Bye

Round 5 Darkrai/Dusknoir/Mewtwo W
Dusknoir moves the energies to eliminate my dienos, so I catcher and dragon blast (after he used all of the spread to knock out dino and sableye) for the KO. After that, he has a hard time doing a lot of damage and I deny prizes with max potion. The match wasn't terribly close.
Slops: I was late to this round and almost ran into a problem with time limits

Round 6 Keldeo/Blastoise W
I think that I did a lot better at playing well thought out, but not too over thought plays. My opponent had an excellent deck that he did not make and was not familiar with. Unfortunately, we both miffed on squirtle's ability and allowed me to spread KO him with darkrai. I don't think that this would have changed the overall game much as I was getting rid of blastoise etc as fast as possible. Rush in drew out the game as he had two mewtwos and a keldeo, but none set up to do damage. After 3 turns, he was stuck with three ex's at a OHKO ending the match.

Overall:
Really enjoyed my first tournament.
Met a lot of great people, saw some people with really tricked out decks (FA, RH's etc)
definitely made some nasty misplays that cost me matches.
Didn't get to play against Rayeels decks (there were some there).
Learned that running 3-1-3 Hydreigon was not enough. Needs 4-1-3 or so.

Cities: Tecumseh
Hammers w Shaymin and Mewtwo
Props:
Mewtwo was very good.
Two great pulls from packs (FA skyla and Giratina ex)
Made friends and played well
Slops:
One game where almost half of my supporters were prized
Shaymin didn't play well with this deck.
Played too passively for a hammers deck. I took too much time trying to get rid of their energies and not enough time attacking.

Round 1: Rayeels L
Very close game until I double tailed on crushing hammers allowing her to set up two rayquazas and destroy my darkrais

Round 2: Keldeo/blastoise L
Nearly no energy pulls and 5 prized supporters (1 max potion). I only took one prize, Not good.

Round 3: Darkrai/sableye/registeel W
This was a bad match for both of us. Nearly no good draws, by T5 we both had attached something like 1 or 2 energies. Hammers killed his energies, I just pecked away at his ex's and catchers won the game. This game was not really challenging as he appeared to not play catchers or max potions (he did have both in his trade binder though).

Round 4: Landorus/empoleon W
This match was ok. I hammered away his energies to keep him from setting up attack command and land crush. He got mewtwo on land crush, but as mewtwo didn't have any damage from before I just max potioned and denied prizes. The game ended when he decked out, neither of us had taken many prizes.

Round 5: Bouffalant/Mewtwo/sigilyph/Ho-oh EX L
Hammers really destroyed this deck. This match made me wish that I had replaced shaymin with drifblim (one energy 50x special energies in opponents discard pile). Between his double colorless, my hammers and his discards, drifblim would have been doing at least 200 damage for one energy. I'm definitely considering playing drifblim in the future. Unfortunately, we ran out of time (I had pretty much hammered away most all of his energies by the time that time was called) and he had taken out a couple sableyes and a darkrai, I had only taken 2 prizes. Given a couple more turns, I would have won as he didn't have enough energies to attack and I had a set up darkrai.

A whopping 5 CP! (2 cities and a prerelease)

Back