Tinkaton, Tinkatuff, & Tinatink from ‘Triplet Beat’!

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
The Tinkaton evolution line was revealed from the upcoming Japanese set SV1a Triplet Beat, which releases on March 10th. Cards from this set will most likely become part of our second Scarlet & Violet set releasing at the end of June.
Tinkatink – Psychic – HP70
Basic Pokemon
[P] Brutal Swing: Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 20 more damage.
Weakness: Metal (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 1...

Continue reading...

Sorry Tinkaton, but Liepard and Radiant Greninja are just better for this type of draw effect, i have never liked Stage 2 Draw support, even with Rare candy, that is just too much effort and waste of deck space for a stage 2 draw Pokemon

You know I actually kinda like this Tinkaton. The ability is good but not great, since you'd rather use a Stage 1 with Trade... but at least the attack isn't a mediocre "just there" kind of attack. Since we're getting this a while after rotation, that means the only meaningful special energy you can use with it are Lucky or Gift Energy, as it doesn't have enough HP to take advantage of V Guard.

It may actually see play as a 1-2 of if we get a decent enough Tinkaton ex, as both a draw support and single prize attacker (especially once we get anti-ex Pokemon like Miltank is for V's)... assuming we also get a better special energy for it to use that would simultaneously help the ex, like Horror Psychic would have been were it not rotating. Also very possible Tinkaton ex might be a Steel type, in which case you won't be running Psychic energy and probably won't be running that new rainbow energy either just to enable this attacking, but it can still see play as a 1 of draw poewr support in that case.

I'm just gonna copy-paste this comment under every new Pokemon where it applies, if you feel the need to design Pokemon that hit above their own HP, then their own HP should be higher.

Tinkaton is a Stage 2, it should have 200-250 HP.
Doesn’t Tinkaton have a low hp stat in the games?

I'm just gonna copy-paste this comment under every new Pokemon where it applies, if you feel the need to design Pokemon that hit above their own HP, then their own HP should be higher.

No glass cannons allowed?

No glass cannons allowed?
A few glasscannons are okay, making every single-prizer a glasscannon because you've powercreeped the HP of multiprizers, but haven't done the same to any other type of Pokemon just makes the design and format stale.

on the contrary. we must demand a retvrn to gen 3 levels of balance, rather than request for runaway power creep across the board

Surefire, fast track way to make the next gimmick multiprizer pokemon in the future to have 400 hp. Then the cycle continues.

I didn't read what this card does but it's destructive queen Tinkaton, so...

talented-unique.gif

No it should not have

That high HP. It should be higher though. Probably around 180

I want to march into these clowns' offices and tell them to stop designing cards like this. My god...

on the contrary. we must demand a retvrn to gen 3 levels of balance, rather than request for runaway power creep across the board
The theory is that raising the HP of single prize Pokémon while freezing everything else is returning the game to generation 3 balancing. In the EX era, one-hit-KOs we’re fairly rare. Stage 2 ex’s had up to 160 HP. Stage 1 ex’s and single prize stage 2’s had up to 120 HP. Basic ex’s and single prize stage 1’s usually had up to 100 HP. Now, for a Pokémon to deal 100 damage in a single hit took a fair amount of investment, with Arcanine ex being a good example. Ludicolo from Deoxys can also hit 100 damage if your opponent has to bench several Pokémon. The one-hit-KO anything in the format was rare, with the best playable example being Lugia ex, a frail, double prize basic that needed the help of a stage 2 ex and the Holon Pokémon to satisfy its complicated attack cost. Still one of the best decks in format, but it took a lot of moving pieces. Now, at the moment, all the numbers from the Sword and Shield format have been frozen going into the Scarlet and Violet era, except for two things: first, stage 2 ex’s have inherited the HP of VMAX’s; and second, we have yet to see new ex’s that can reliably one-hit-KO stage 2 ex’s (Gyarados ex being the closest thing). If we move to a format where two-hit-KO’s are more common than one-hit-KOs, the format slows down more. But unless single prize Pokémon also receive an HP boost, they will remain, for the most part, on the fringe. The narrower the gap between single prize and double prize Pokémon is, HP-wise, the better single prize Pokémon will be. Even if the numbers themselves are higher, it’s ratio of the numbers that makes or breaks the viability of single prize Pokémon. The good news is stage 2 ex’s have been given a fighting chance. With three-prize Pokémon being phased out and one-hit-KO moves printed few and far between, the format seems like it will start slowing down. The bad news is single prize Pokémon still haven’t gained a substantial HP boost of their own. The format has improved, but it’s fair to say that it’s still not back to EX format levels. The use of evolution as a mechanic is improving: the balance of the game’s different mechanics is still not what it could be. We’re at a better place than we’ve been in since Buzzwole GX, but still far from the place we were at before Mewtwo EX.

The theory is that raising the HP of single prize Pokémon while freezing everything else is returning the game to generation 3 balancing.
And if you get it wrong you end up with completely uncontrolled power creep across the board for years to come.

The point of my post wasn't to take "balance" the way you have, but to argue for a reduction of HP and HP caps across the board, not an increase. In terms of how you handle that given it'd be a step down from what came before;
- Hard format rotation to ensure the viability of the TCG as a long-term game. This would probably be unpopular, so the next best thing;
- Print more attacks that are specifically punitive against Pokémon V/VMAX/VSTAR but are not necessarily punitive against Pokémon ex. e.g. "If The Defending Pokémon is a Pokémon V, this attack does [some extra amount of damage]", various Trainer cards that punish players for having Pokémon V/etc in play. Then, once you've cleared the old format's multiprizers out, go after the multi-prizers of the current format. When multiprize cards originally debuted, there were a ton of cards with punitive "If the Defending Pokémon is Pokémon-ex..." attacks so that running Pokémon-ex really leaned into the entire idea of cost/benefit. People also forget multiprizers left the format for basically an entire generation, too, and there was an extended period of time where Lv.X cards were clunkier to get into play than Pokémon-ex (several Lv.X were de facto Stage 4 cards).

Generation 5, like it was a mess for the video games, was also a mess for the TCG, since it brought back multiprize cards in such a lousy, hamfisted way, and seems to have baked in the contemporary thinking that the only way to fix the game is to keep making numbers go up. Gen 3 (and Gen 4) TCG game balance is entirely different from what you are proposing.

Back