RMT Thundurous-T, Politoed & Friends

MegaGoodra

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everybody!

The core I'm using - Thundurus-T and a Fake Out user - was suggested to me by a friend

Here are the sets!

thundurus-therian.gif

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Protect

Thundurus-T is one half of the core of this team. Standard Thundo-T, except I use Life Orb, as I dislike getting locked into moves by Choice items. The moveset is amazing as it provides great coverage, and Grass Knot takes out the Swamperts and Gastrodons that are immune to Thunderbolt.

ludicolo-f.gif

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 164 HP / 140 Def / 68 SpA / 4 SpD / 132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Fake Out

Ludicolo is the Fake Out component of the core. I love Fake Out and Thundurus-T, as it provides Thundo-T with a turn to inflict damage with one of its threats on the field, and then switch out next turn (I hope that made sense). Standard Assault Vest Ludicolo. This was originally a Mega Kang, but I struggled against Terrakion, so I swapped for Ludicolo. The Speed EVs outspeed 0 Spe Rotom-W.

bisharp.gif

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Bisharp covered many of Thundo-T and Ludicolo's weaknesses, according to the Team Magma Teambuilder. Another standard set. Thundo-T had the Life Orb, so Bisharp gets the sash.

heatran.gif

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Bisharp gave me a Fire weakness, so I added Heatran. If I can predict a switch into a Fire type move, the Flash Fire boost can really shift the tide of a game. Again, another standard set – I feel like a broken record at this point. I was running the 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe set to outspeed Adamant Bisharp, but 52 HP EVs wasn’t really surviving anything special, so I just maximised Speed so I can get a fast Earth Power off against other Heatran running 204 Spe.

sylveon.gif

Sylveon @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 100 HP / 228 Def / 172 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Helping Hand
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Bisharp and Heatran share a Fighting type weakness, which is nicely covered by Sylveon. Finally, a non-standard set. Hyper Voice is obvious, I don’t remember what Shadow Ball were put on this for, but they have both been pretty useful in terms of coverage. Pixie Plate is used because, as stated earlier, I dislike being locked into moves by Choice items.

The EV spread survives Adamant Bisharp's Iron Head:

252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 100 HP / 228 Def Sylveon: 152-182 (83 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The Special Attack is dumped, and I guess I wanted to outspeed other Sylveon that are running no Speed EVs.

salamence-mega.gif

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 52 HP / 124 Atk / 4 Def / 132 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake/Draco Meteor
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

I realized I didn't have a mega - so I slapped Mega Salamence on the team, purely for damage output purposes. Although, it does cover Bisharp and Heatran's weaknesses to Fighting and Ground weaknesses. The EV spread outspeeds Mega Lucario after mega evolving, it survives any special attack made to OHKO 4 HP uninvested Mega Salamence, and it has dumped Attack.

Concerns:

- I have no Taunt users - this is a concern against Trick Room teams.

- Trick Room, as my only "slow" Pokemon is Sylveon.

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Protect

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 164 HP / 140 Def / 68 SpA / 4 SpD / 132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Fake Out

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Sylveon @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 100 HP / 228 Def / 172 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 52 HP / 124 Atk / 4 Def / 132 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Battles

First 3 Matches
1. 1-0 WIN http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotdoublesvgc2015-235063622
2. 3-0 WIN http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotdoublesvgc2015-235065407
3. 0-2 LOSE http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotdoublesvgc2015-235067022 (Almost Won)

Last edited:
Salamence: I just don't find Roost to be that useful in doubles because of double targetting. Mega Salamence is a major threat so it is likely to be targeted by both foes. I think you'd have better luck with Earthquake instead of Roost because it can hit the rest of the field and also gives you something to deal with Pokemon that resist Return. Another concern I have is that you don't have anything to draw attacks away from Salamence, but you are using Dragon Dance. A potential thing to look into is Togekiss / Togetic @ Eviolite instead of Sylveon since Togekiss is able to use Follow Me. This would let you get more opportunities to set up.

Heatran: In doubles having both Protect and Substitute really limits your capabilities because of double targetting. That type of set is much better in singles. You say you need a Taunt user. You could take out Substitute and put in Taunt here so it would solve that problem.

Sylveon: I really think you should change this to either Togekiss or Togetic @ Eviolite because they are able to use Follow Me so you can set up more freely with Mega Salamence. If you are really set on using Sylveon, I'd say to drop Psyshock for Helping Hand because the only thing you can hit with Psyshock and not Hyper Voice is poison types. Helping Hand has priority and lets you dish out more damage with your other Pokemon.

Hey, that looks like a very good team with great synergy in it. Why do you use Grass Knot on Thundurus-T instead of Focus Blast/Psychic? Ludicolo has already Giga Drain to deal with Swampert and Gastrodon. Plus, after watching your replays you always bring them together as your lead core.

Hey, that looks like a very good team with great synergy in it. Why do you use Grass Knot on Thundurus-T instead of Focus Blast/Psychic? Ludicolo has already Giga Drain to deal with Swampert and Gastrodon. Plus, after watching your replays you always bring them together as your lead core.

Just incase one dies I guess. I might look in to adding Focus Blast for Mega Kang coverage.

Salamence: I just don't find Roost to be that useful in doubles because of double targetting. Mega Salamence is a major threat so it is likely to be targeted by both foes. I think you'd have better luck with Earthquake instead of Roost because it can hit the rest of the field and also gives you something to deal with Pokemon that resist Return. Another concern I have is that you don't have anything to draw attacks away from Salamence, but you are using Dragon Dance. A potential thing to look into is Togekiss / Togetic @ Eviolite instead of Sylveon since Togekiss is able to use Follow Me. This would let you get more opportunities to set up.

Heatran: In doubles having both Protect and Substitute really limits your capabilities because of double targetting. That type of set is much better in singles. You say you need a Taunt user. You could take out Substitute and put in Taunt here so it would solve that problem.

Sylveon: I really think you should change this to either Togekiss or Togetic @ Eviolite because they are able to use Follow Me so you can set up more freely with Mega Salamence. If you are really set on using Sylveon, I'd say to drop Psyshock for Helping Hand because the only thing you can hit with Psyshock and not Hyper Voice is poison types. Helping Hand has priority and lets you dish out more damage with your other Pokemon.

Changed Roost for EQ, and added Helping Hand. Thanks for your feedback!

Back