KNEEL!
Hi all! I'm currently training a Swirlix to be the following:

Slurpuff
Item: sitrus berry
Nature: careful
Ability: unburden
Evs: 252 hp/107 def/107 sp def/44 speed
Belly drum/ play rough/ return/ aromatherapy

Now, the move set is nothing new, just your standard belly drumming slurpuff. Bd activates the sitrus berry, which in turn activates unburden, doubling the puff's speed. The given speed evs allow her to outspeed non-choiced jolly Noivern, (base 123!), while the hp is maxed, with the rest dumped into defenses to ensure she can take at least one hit for those pesky 2hkos. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Props for a good idea here, Kirya! Slurpuff is the only Belly Drum + Unburden Pokémon in existence. Now that PokéBank is out, there's tons more Pokémon to deal with, so here's my thoughts.

Your set is inefficient with the EV spread tbh. You won't get anything out of 107 (S)Def, so one should be 108 and the other 104 instead, but even then, Slurpuff with Belly Drum needs attack investment. Also, your spread only accounts for Noivern, whereas accounting for Scarf Rotom-W is probably something to aim for instead - if it switches in, kill it before it Tricks you its Scarf, pretty much. Rotom-W also hits a pretty good benchmark in general.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 76 SpA / 176 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Flamethrower
- Return
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

This is a much more offensive set that I think would fare better in the post-Bank meta. The speed allows you to outspeed Choice Scarf Rotom-W after Unburden, 4 HP allows immediate activation of the Sitrus Berry upon Belly Drumming, and 76 SpA 2HKOes Physical Skarmory and Ferrothorn and OHKOes Forretress and CB Scizor (81.25% chance after SR) with Flamethrower. You can also run Naïve for more speed, but the power drop is noticeable.

You need SR support with this, and good teammates are Rotom-W and Ferrothorn (ease of switching in and resistance coverage). Best idea is to come in on something you can tank like a Choiced dragon and set up.

After crunching some numbers, your suggested set (which I assume will most likely be the norm soon, I'm pretty sure I saw this floating around the 'net) does exactly what I was attempting with my spread. It doesn't tank the hits as well, but most enemies will still be unable to one-shot Slurpuff, and she will be more than capable of one-shotting or severely damaging most foes, while outrunning all. I was going to pass on flamethrower, but when upon seeing how badly it wrecks all steel types with the given investment, it is impossible to pass up. Thanks!!

Back