The world ends tomorrow?

Pokémaniac

meow
Tommorow, scientists are activating a super-powerful machine that will do a series of extremely awesome things to try and recreate the Big Bang. Whilst most believe nothing bad will happen, and in fact the Ansers to the Universe will be revealed(Or, at least made a little bit more obvious), some believe the mini-blackholes created by the experiment will break out and swallow the entire plannet from the inside.

More reading for those of you that care.

Discuss.

(Also, if the world is destroyed, it will be destroyed on 9/11 in America. Could it possibly be a coincidence?)

My whole schools talking about this. I was about to make a thread about this but ya beat me to it. Hopefully nothing bad will happen otherwise it'll be the end of days. But they wouldn't dare risk the world but yeah I don't like the risk.

Trust me when I say this; the world will not end tomorrow.
My physics teacher expained this to our class. The thing a lot of people are worried about is the possibility of a black hole being created from this experiment. But the thing is, there is only a very small chance that that will happen, and even if it did, the black hole would be smaller than a speck of dust and vanish within a few seconds. Not enough to cause any damage. ;)
Anyway, the experiment that the scientists at CERN are going to conduct, is basically smashing a couple of atoms together at a very fast rate. They are trying to find out what's inside the atom or something like that.
My physics teacher even showed us a youtube video showing some CERN scientists doing a rap that explained there experiment. It was funny. :D

Edit: I believe I've found the video.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM
I still dont understand it much.. but it's a catchy tune. :p

They say the world will end tomorrow but this is shiny odds
Scientists have created a big bang making machine.
They do this by rushing certain particles together to create a massive chemical reaction of which some believe will create a black hole and suck us in while other presume they will do nothing
If the black hole is created then since the earth is a very small planet we will get sucked in faster than a blink of an eye.
The black hole machine has been mentioned on the news and it will take place in Switzerland.
If this theory is true then goodbye I have enjoyed life even though I have only had a taste f it
Since we have no theory to support this as we are just kids I wouldn't worry about it

If the black hole is created then since the earth is a very small planet we will get sucked in faster than a blink of an eye.

Completely untrue. Didn't I just say? If a black hole is created, which is exteremly unlikely, then it would be smaller than a speck of dust. Even an ant wouldn't be affected by something like that.

It's just that the media picked up on the words "black hole" and starting spreading rumours about the end of the earth. Simple as that.

Peta said:
They say the world will end tomorrow but this is shiny odds
Scientists have created a big bang making machine.
They do this by rushing certain particles together to create a massive chemical reaction of which some believe will create a black hole and suck us in while other presume they will do nothing
The black hole machine has been mentioned on the news and it will take place in Switzerland.
If this theory is true then goodbye I have enjoyed life even though I have only had a taste f it
Since we have no theory to support this as we are just kids I wouldn't worry about it
The bolded bit is untrue. The only chance of the Earth getting sucked up is by a Micro Black Hole growing larger. Meaning we wouldn't be sucked up in the blink of an eye.

This is true but there is a lot of things in Switzerland and around it the black hole would easily gain width and height
Making the process faster and faster

Peta said:
This is true but there is a lot of things in Switzerland and around it the black hole would easily gain width and height
Making the process faster and faster
Still not a blink of an eye =P

Yeah maybe 10 walks to the shop and back XD

Black holes would be awesome for time travel purposes. Stand right next to the edge of a black hole, time will be so very warped there, it would move like a million times faster outside. Wait for Hawking Radiation to vaporize the Black Hole, and voila, welcome to the year 2,428,351, hey, it's Christmas today :D

Scientists would need more than this to create a black hole large enough to suck up even a small part of a planet, small black holes have a very short life-span anyways. So well, worst case scenario is Switzerland suddenly disappearing.

And, oh well, if it's the end, we wouldn't even notice.

Hey wouldn't it be awesome if we all got transported into a parallel world and pokemon lived there?

Peta said:
Hey wouldn't it be awesome if we all got transported into a parallel world and pokemon lived there?
Why don't you spend your last day trying to figure out how low the odds are? Seems like a nice way to die. :p

Also, this is 1 day before my Birthday, wow, this sucks :(

It's a 1 in 50million chance that the black holes that might be created will go out of control...
Is this the place in Suisse, if it is then the machine is a particle accelarater, they will smash atoms...
If they want to smash atoms just stamp your foot that destroys atoms...

You just push 'em together slightly if you stamp your foot, it takes a little more than that to break the internal forces of an atom. Heck, I have yet to see people turn water molecules into oxigen and hydrogen that way, and if you can't break molecules by doing that, you can just forget about breaking atoms.

What they're doing is serious business, just not serious enough to end the world.

It's unfortunate that the LHC is only in the public eye because of the "end of the world" nonsense. It's quite irritating actually. ;/

The worst that could happen is the Higgs Boson not being discovered. Think of all the particle physicists that would have heart attacks!

05-0440-01D_hr.jpg

^^Lol. I know :D
If Higgs isn't there, then apparently Physics as we know it is wrong. :/
My friend joked that if that happens, we'll probably fail our Physics exams. :D

I still can't get that rap out of my head... :/

There is a very small chance this will happen, but I'm saying this anyway.

I DON'T WANNA DIE!!!:(

But that pokemon thing Peta said would be cool.

I Lol'd at this when i first heard it, but i really doubt anything will happen.

The media twisted everything around, i don't think if it was that serious they will put the planet at risk. =/

Back