The Wii is upon us!!!

Alchemist_Almighty

Don't camp the baby...
------------------------------------------
November 19th. $250. That's what North American gamers have been waiting to hear. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer is running a New York Times story dated September 14th. There will be over more than 25 titles available for the Wii this year, and Nintendo plans to ship 4 million of the consoles worldwide. President Reggie Fils-Aime said in a phone interview:

Our goal is to bring gaming back to the masses. You see that in our pricing, you see that in the number of units we plan to make available this year and you see that in how we are positioning the Wii to appeal to every member of the household, including but not limited to the hard-core gamer. We are including all of these capabilities as part of our overall strategy to expand the gaming market. Broadening the market is important because it will breathe new life into this business. Otherwise, this industry is moving down a path of being more and more limited to the hard-core gamer.
Moreover, Nintendo intends to announce that every Wii will be bundled with Wii Sports, a game compilation that includes golf, bowling, baseball and tennis. While the new version of the Mario franchise won't appear until 2007, Twilight Princess will. Games are priced at $50 a piece, $10 less than the standard Xbox 360 title. Over 30 classic titles will be available on the Virtual console, including Zelda, Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong. Be sure to check back tomorrow for Crecente's live coverage of the New York City press conference. Brian Ashcraft
----------------------------------

CUE THE ANGELIC MUSIC AND THROW THE CONFETTI!!! WE HAVE A LAUNCH DATE!!!!!!

Yah, I read about it today. I'm a little surprised they're holding it off until November when they can clearly launch it successfully in October, but that's actually good for me since I have exams up to November 10.

This is the info which I got:
Aussie-Nintendo said:
Head inside for the American launch date and price!

Nintendo's Wii will launch in North and South America on November 19, for a price of US$250, it has been revealed today.

The New York Times broke the news via a report which has since been withdrawn, however the details included are all but confirmed, according to IGN.

The system will be packaged with Nintendo's flagship Wii Sports title, which will include Tennis, Golf, Baseball and Bowling.

Wii will launch with its unique Virtual Console service and 30 titles are said to be available for launch, including games from franchises such as Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong. These will retail between US$5 and US$10.

It is also reported that more than 25 original Wii games will be released this year, with Nintendo official charging US$50 for its first party offerings.

Surprisingly, in order to attract more users and to make Wii the true centrepiece of the lounge room, for the first time Nintendo will launch a home console with features not directly related to video games. Wii will include online 'channels', containing news and weather information, digital photo storage and display, as well as the previously-announced Opera web browser.
I like the Channels idea, that will actually be very useful, especially with weather and news.

Much MUCH more info is expected to be revealed at the American Wii conference in about 5-6 hours from this post. I'll be sleeping by then (lol yeh right) but will find it all out in the morning if I don't stay up.

$250.00!?!?!?!?!  Here in Canada, at Toys 'R' Us, the employees said $400.00!!!!!   That sucks....

Never buy from Toys r us, they over charge. But yeah, I read about this along time ago at the E3 stuff but a launch dates awesome. It's a fair price considering the 600 and 500 dollar competetor systems. Plus, it's got alot of nice gamer friendly features, like the free online play. I say Kudos Nintendo, as your likely to win the console war. (Ps. I gots an xbox 360 and planned for a ps3 till I heard the horrid price. So no bashing XD)

I guess the WII should bemore than worth it, considering itcan play GC games and all the features it's going to have;D

The only thing that bothers me is that the Wii-mote will cost $40 and the Nunchuck will cost $20.

Also released are japanese prices for the Virtual Console:

Famicon (NES) - 500 yen (about $5)
Super Famicon (SNES) - 800 yen (about $8)
Famicon 64 (N64) - 1000 yen (about $10)

Nintendo hopes for 30 VC games available at launch, and starting January they hope to release 10 additional titles each month. No word yet on whether that number included third-party games or not.

The system will also be region-free...to an extent. Nintendo's games will be, but they are leaving that option up for third-party developers to decide.

Alchemist_Almighty said:
Famicon 64 (N64) - 1000 yen (about $10)
So the Famicube games will work on the Wii, right? XD The N64 had the same Japanese name just so you know... :p

Anyway, nice to have stuff like this confirmed even if most of it was pretty apparent anyway. Other than that online channel thing..

The release date here in the U.S. for Wii is november 19th and it is said to come with one game and one controller and the system will be white but a launch you will not be able to do online stuff yet and the wii will use opera as it's browers and the controllers for the wii will cost a hefty $60.00. That is for both the contoller and the nunchuck control stick and it will have 4 memory card slots and ports for game cube games and discs too.:)

RE:  The Wii is upon us!!!

xxashxx said:
The release date here in the U.S. for Wii is november 19th and it is said to come with one game and one controller and the system will be white but a launch you will not be able to do online stuff yet and the wii will use opera as it's browers and the controllers for the wii will cost a hefty $60.00. That is for both the contoller and the nunchuck control stick  and it will have 4 memory card slots and ports for game cube games and discs too.:)

Kind of a small thing to add but, the Opera browser will be free until June 2007.

Strike! said:
xxashxx said:
The release date here in the U.S. for Wii is november 19th and it is said to come with one game and one controller and the system will be white but a launch you will not be able to do online stuff yet and the wii will use opera as it's browers and the controllers for the wii will cost a hefty $60.00. That is for both the contoller and the nunchuck control stick and it will have 4 memory card slots and ports for game cube games and discs too.:)

Kind of a small thing to add but, the Opera browser will be free until June 2007.

That was a lot of information for me to remember. I am on seizure medication that makes me forget stuff sometimes so I am lucky I remembered that much.:)

Thought i'd update on the Australian and Europe release dates and prices for those who don't know yet...

Aussie-Nintendo said:
Australia:
Wii launches across Australia on 7th December 2006 at the estimated retail price of $399AU.
More details on pricings of games and accessories is expected coming soon in Australia.

Email received from Nintendo Australia:
As part of a global launch period, Wii will arrive in Australia on December 7th. Wii will be sold as an affordable, mass-consumer product at an SRP of just $399.95. The price includes one wireless Wii Remote controller, one Nunchuk™ controller and the groundbreaking collection of five different Wii Sports games on one disc, which anyone can play using simple movements, experienced or not.

Every Wii console includes another distinctive feature: a series of on-screen “channels” that make up the Wii Channel Menu, which makes the console approachable and customisable for everyone, from the most avid gamer to people who have never played before.

The Wii Channel Menu is the starting point for all of the console’s functions. The “channels” offer a gateway to a rich variety of entertainment options. When connected to a TV, the Wii Channel Menu offers a simple interface, letting users pick games to play, get news or weather, view and send photos or even create playable caricatures of themselves to use in actual games.

Additional functions allow users to redeem Wii Points and download classic games to Wii’s Virtual Console™. The variety of options available through the Wii Channel Menu motivates both gamers and non-gamers to turn on Wii’s power every day.

Wii is creating worldwide excitement with its unique control system, an inventive, first-of-its-kind controller whose position can be detected in a 3-D space. The new controller allows users to pinpoint targets in games or move through the Wii Channel Menu with precision and ease. This intuitive control system will be understood immediately by everyone, regardless of their previous experience with video games.

With this one small controller, Wii makes games both easier and more intense than anything previously experienced. For example, in the Wii Sports tennis game, players swing the Wii Remote like a racquet to hit the ball, as in real life. They can add topspin or slice the ball just by angling their hands and wrist like they would in a real match.

“Wii is a product for all to enjoy. Whether you’re young or old, an experienced gamer or complete novice, Wii has something unique to offer us all,” says Rose Lappin, Director of Sales and Marketing. “At such an affordable price, we see Wii as being a true product of everybody.”

Between launch day and Dec. 31, Wii owners will enjoy a robust lineup of around 20 software titles, with selections for everyone from video game veterans to newcomers.

Some top Nintendo launch titles include Wii Sports, a compilation of tennis, baseball, golf, bowling and boxing and The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess.

Wii’s self-loading media bay also can play the entire library of hundreds of Nintendo GameCube™ titles from day one.

Third-party developers around the world have lined up to provide unprecedented support for Wii.

Additional information about the list of Virtual Console games and the pricing structure will be revealed on nintendo.com.au in the coming weeks.
Aussie-Nintendo said:
Europe:
From the Europe press conference:

Today at a press conference held in London’s Docklands, Mr Iwata, Global President of Nintendo Co., Ltd. unveiled a new dimension in home entertainment. Nintendo announced ways to involve every member of the family in gaming via the new Wii console, as well as the much-anticipated price, date and software line-up for the console’s European launch.

Wii is set to revolutionise the face of gaming when it launches in Europe on 8th December 2006 at an estimated retail price of 249 Euros (£179 in the UK), bundled with Wii Sports. Accompanying the console launch will be around 20 software titles including Wii Play and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and from third party publishers launch games include: Ubisoft’s RED STEEL, EA’s Need for Speed: Carbon, Activision’s Tony Hawk’s Downhill Jam, THQ’s Disney/ Pixar’s Cars and Sega’s Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz.

Included with every Wii console is one wireless Wii Remote, one Nunchuk, and the groundbreaking collection of five different Wii Sports games on one disk which anyone can play using simple physical movements.

Nintendo today set a new direction for the video games industry by using state of the art technology not just for enhancing graphics and processing power but to introduce new people to the world of video games by creating brand new entertainment that is fresh and accessible to everyone.

Mr Iwata, Nintendo’s President, outlined how the Wii would build on Nintendo’s learnings and existing success with DS and continue this expansion of the gaming audience in unique and unprecedented ways.

With Wii, Nintendo aims to create a console that can be enjoyed by every member of the family. Every Wii console will include a series of on-screen “channels” that make up the Wii Channel Menu. The Wii Channel Menu is the starting point for all of the console’s functions. The “channels” offer a gateway to a rich variety of entertainment options. When connected to a TV, the Wii Channel Menu offers a simple interface letting users pick games to play, get news or weather, view and send photos or even create playable caricatures of themselves to use in actual games. Additional functions allow users to download classic games to Wii’s Virtual Console.

Nintendo believe that encouraging users to pick up the controller to access the internet quickly, check the news or see tomorrows weather is one way of ensuring that everyone in the household can use, interact and ultimately engage with Wii. And once users have picked up the controller to perform these basic functions, it’s a small step to get involved in some more fun game play action.

Wii launches across Europe on 8th December 2006 at the estimated retail price of 249 Euros (£179 in the UK). Nintendo first party games will retail at the estimated retail price of between 49 Euros and 59 Euros (£34 to £39 in the UK).

Additional controllers will also be available from launch at the estimated retail prices of: Wii Remote - 39 Euros (£29 in UK), Nunchuk – 19 Euros (£14 in UK) and the Classic Controller – 19 Euros (£14 in UK)

Pictures courtesy of Aussie-Nintendo.com

SuperMonkeyBallBananaBlitzboxart.jpg

189.jpg

wii_large_boxart.jpg

Now for all those who have missed it, EVERYONE who buys a Wii gets a free Wii Sports packaged with the console itself.

For those who want to watch the USA Wii Conference, it has been uploaded onto YouTube for everyone here. However, it's 40 minutes long, but quite interesting if you want to watch.

golem1996 said:
My idiot older bro said it would be $70.00 :(

Tell him it is $250.00 plus tax and read my post above for more information on the release date and stuff on the wii.:)

Yeah I know but if you buy it at costco your going to pay more for sure though.:)

Back