XY The Unknown Impact Of Pokken Tournament

Green778

It's always darkest before the dawn...
Pokken Tournament. Pokemon + Tekken = Pokken.

A Pokemon fighting game, developed by Bandai Namco which features:

1) 3D environment (unlike Super Smash Bros),
2) Move your own pokemon/characters with unique move set (like Smash Bros),
3) Huge character roster, including legendaries (such as Suicune) and Mega Evolutions (such as M Gardevoir and M Gengar) and more interesting pokemon are yet to be revealed,
4) Great unique in game mechanics for better play experience,
5) Comes for arcade (?) this summer in japan.
All these are looking good! I've already got on board of the hype train, but seriously what do all these mean? Why would Nintendo make such move? Don't you think it's risky? I don't find it risky but rather strange and weird, but good weird. Of course, creating a game in arcade is much more expensive than creating a Wii U disk. The meaning of this move is for testing reasons. Smash Bros had a limited release in japan, with little advertisement, but got to be one of the best nintendo franchises. Could this be the same with Pokken? I really believe not. Why? because Smash Bros had a variety of characters, unlike pokken that is limited with pokemon. As a pokemon fan this is great, but consider that it would be difficult to gain the popularity of Smash Bros (SB for now) as the you could easily chose your favourite character from the entire nintendo game library. I started playing because of Lucario :) and I still do. But this arcade is targeting who? Could the label "pokemon is for the younglings" be out of this game? No I don't believe so, or it would be very difficult.

So far we've covered that the game is targeting us the pokefans. I honestly would find it very difficult for a guy to start their journey to the pokemon world from pokken. Now,... concerning the risk of such move. What if I told you that in 3 years you saw every pokemon fan playing it. You don't get the question and you think its out of topic? Haha(chuckles). Think again. Or maybe See this:

“As far as it being an arcade game goes, my strongest hope is for it to be a high-end game where players can experience getting to play as Pokémon in full motion,” says Ishihara. “Again, the Pokémon World Championship that is held each year that focuses on players going against each other in Pokémon games, and I’d like to see Pokkén be added as one of the important titles to those Pokémon battles.”

quote from Tsunekazu Ishihara, who is in case you don't know, the Chief Executive Officer (C.E.O.) of the Pokemon Company.

Why smash got so popular? Because of these small questions: "Who is the best?", "Are you better than me?". Yup. rivalry, got the game hyped. It went very viral with SB Melee for Game Cube. The professionalisation of the game, play like a pro, win tournaments around the world, be a gamer celebrity, is what makes the game breathing so far. The lust for greatness, which, for me, isn't as fun as to play casually with friends, but a nice motive to attract audiences. So the plans are for Pokken to be included in the Pokemon World Championships. If there weren't tournaments would you play the TCG? I wouldn't have got to know it, honestly. So this motive is an extra "push" to try your luck with the game, which I am sure it will ensure the high sales not only of the game, but of the Wii U or NX console as well.

To sum up, a bit, Nintendo is taking a huge risk with pokken tournaments so in order to ensure its success, they will test it with the arcades and continue with the major world release. Moreover, the inclusion of the motive "become the best" by competing in the World Championship means that it will see organised play. Before you know it Pokken will become a part of our lives. What is the next step? That is something I can't predict, unfortunately but only time will tell. Pokken tournament will BE a success only for the reasons mentioned above. Let's just hope it will be available this year for Wii U ...

I am totally looking forward to Pokken myself, and to think of it as being said by the creator to hopefully have as much competitive prominence as the official VGC and TCG Championship series... that would be wonderful! I've been playing fighting games too, so I can be ready.

Pokken doesn't need to be a big hit for GF to win. First of all, the minimum is to make profit, after that all is gain because they'll be gathering information and testing out. Information by making Pokémon with new and different textures (Gengar is awesome, Lucario is awful with all that fur) and see the gamers' reaction to it and testing also because of that but also because they may use the game as a research platform instead of trying out with the main games because the backlash could be worse.

Back