The Pokemon Anime Going DOWNHILL

I guess the only thing I don't really like are the dubs. I haven't tried watching it subbed, maybe I will though. I don't like how they get new VAs that try to impersonate the old VAs, so they sound like them but it just sounds forced.

Eh...I don't really like the anime anymore, but I can't say it has gotten progressively worse. In fact, I would say it has done the exact opposite. The plots are more complex, the characters are more interesting, and it tends to be more accurate to the games.

However, it is still pretty bad. With the wealth of new, complex characters, we still have flat, two dimensional characters in the leading roles. Ash can't seem to decide if he is a good Pokemon trainer or a completely bad one that wins by sheer luck, Brock just hangs around for the sake of his running gag that got boring years ago, and Dawn is there to fill the necessary female role, being essentially May 2.0. Team Rocket are now just comedic relief, when originally they were threatening villains. Sure, they've been that way since late in the first season, but with the darker and more complex D/P saga, the writers had a chance to turn that around.

Nowadays, I don't even bother with the anime except for the movies and to see if Paul finally gets crushed by Ash. A large part of this has to do with the voices. Yes, I grew up listening to 4Kids voices...but that isn't why I hate the new voices. The new dub voices just seem to lack emotion. Not only that, but the characters just don't sound right. It really feels like they are voice actors acting as the character rather than hearing the actual characters.

EDIT: To further clarify by what I mean when the characters sound like actors, well...In Funimation's dub of Dragon Ball Z, Gohan(even as a kid) had a rather gruff voice. In their dub of Dragon Ball Kai; however, Gohan actually sounds like a little kid. His current actor captures the feel of a 4/5 year old child perfectly, as opposed to Gohan's old voice actor. Which brings me back to my point about the Pokemon characters not really sounding like people, but rather people acting as them.

...I guess that is all I have to say about the current state of the show. Can't really comment on how it is in Japanese, because I've only ever watched it in Japanese for the few banned episodes(including the Porygon episode).

I don't think the anime is any worse than it used to be...I dont think the anime is bad at all.
Personally, I like the new episodes better just because of the coloring and quality, but other than that, every season is the same to me.

vaporchu8 said:
Eh...I don't really like the anime anymore, but I can't say it has gotten progressively worse. In fact, I would say it has done the exact opposite. The plots are more complex, the characters are more interesting, and it tends to be more accurate to the games.

However, it is still pretty bad. With the wealth of new, complex characters, we still have flat, two dimensional characters in the leading roles. Ash can't seem to decide if he is a good Pokemon trainer or a completely bad one that wins by sheer luck, Brock just hangs around for the sake of his running gag that got boring years ago, and Dawn is there to fill the necessary female role, being essentially May 2.0. Team Rocket are now just comedic relief, when originally they were threatening villains. Sure, they've been that way since late in the first season, but with the darker and more complex D/P saga, the writers had a chance to turn that around.

Nowadays, I don't even bother with the anime except for the movies and to see if Paul finally gets crushed by Ash. A large part of this has to do with the voices. Yes, I grew up listening to 4Kids voices...but that isn't why I hate the new voices. The new dub voices just seem to lack emotion. Not only that, but the characters just don't sound right. It really feels like they are voice actors acting as the character rather than hearing the actual characters.

EDIT: To further clarify by what I mean when the characters sound like actors, well...In Funimation's dub of Dragon Ball Z, Gohan(even as a kid) had a rather gruff voice. In their dub of Dragon Ball Kai; however, Gohan actually sounds like a little kid. His current actor captures the feel of a 4/5 year old child perfectly, as opposed to Gohan's old voice actor. Which brings me back to my point about the Pokemon characters not really sounding like people, but rather people acting as them.

...I guess that is all I have to say about the current state of the show. Can't really comment on how it is in Japanese, because I've only ever watched it in Japanese for the few banned episodes(including the Porygon episode).

There's so much truth to this post it's uncanny, I pretty much feel the same way about the Pokemon Anime recently as well however I thought the FUNimation dub for Dragonball Z was amazing though I did like
the Ocean/Pioneer Dub that lasted from the Saiyan Saga up to when Goku is about to fight the Ginyu Force on Namek and Vegeta realizes that Goku has the potential to become a Super Saiyan.

It seems like the people behind the Pokemon Anime just aren't trying as hard as they did back in the late 90's and early 2000's which is a shame. I'm tired of Pokemon Contests to be honest it doesn't add much to the story other than targeting the female audience of the series. I personally liked it better with just being about battles ya know.

You can only go so far with recycling past storylines, plot twists, and doing the same formula over and over again where to the older audience of the series just finds it dull and redundant as compared to how new it is to the younger audience of the series. Though there's nothing wrong with that, there needs to be common ground with all age groups within the Anime series and for whoever is in charge of the series it seems to be a challenge to accomplish.

Back