• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard The Owl and the Bull

21times

Aspiring Trainer
Hello Beach Bums,

I might have missed it, but I haven't seen anybody post this decklist yet - my apologies if a thread's already been created.

I'm having a lot of success with this deck, 13-2 so far. I really like that either Decidueye or Tauros can be your main attackers depending on the other deck - this helps alleviate the weaknesses to fighting and water decks.

Oh and I know that there aren't any VS seekers in this list. This might be a huge mistake - there have been a number of times when I wished I could grab my Lysandre from the discard - but I find that I'm throwing away so many cards and burning through the deck so fast that they are 1) going to clog up my hand early or 2) going to end up in the discard anyway. But you want to put the seekers into the deck, peace, I've got no problem with that.

Also, don't waste your GX attack on Hollow Hunt unless you have to. I'd highly recommend you save it for Mad Bull.

##Pokémon - 15
* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 3 Tauros-GX SUM 100
* 2 Rowlet SUM 9
* 2 Dartrix SUM 10
* 2 Decidueye-GX SUM 12
* 4 Unown AOR 30
##Trainer Cards - 37
* 3 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Town Map BKT 150
* 2 Revitalizer GEN 70
* 4 Lillie SUM 122
* 1 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 Forest of Giant Plants AOR 74
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Special Charge STS 105
* 1 Energy Retrieval SUM 116
* 4 Level Ball AOR 76
* 3 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 1 Lysandre FLF 104
* 3 Float Stone BKT 137
##Energy - 8
* 4 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90
* 4 Grass Energy EVO 91

A 2-2-2 Decidueye GX line seems too risky, IMO, of not getting 2 Decidueye GX into play. A 3-3-3 line would be more consistent, no doubt, as well as provide another attacker if needed.

Have you considered running Professor Kukui to supplement your card-draw in addition to providing damage output boost?

Kukui is probably not a bad idea - there are plenty of times when I'm only hitting for 60 with Tauros.... I only have 2 Decidueye right now, although with the success I'm having with this deck I'm definitely thinking about going out and getting a third. On the other hand, as long as I'm winning 80%+, I'm probably not going to make any changes. But I'm sure the law of averages will catch up to me, it always does!

I played against a similar list a couple nights ago. I was playing a garbage Togekiss deck, so I can't say how I think this would have performed against a better deck. It sounds like you are doing pretty well with it though, so that is something. I have strongly considered building this one myself after playing against it that one time though. It was interesting and the player made some extremely skillful plays with Tauros-GX that I quite honestly haven't seen anyone else make. Guessing that is the difference between someone who plays Tauros as a primary vs someone playing Tauros as a Ninja Boy "one use" type of approach.

Overall, I was impressed more with the player than the deck. I think the deck is a cool concept I want to try. I thought the player was excellent though and I wonder if this is one that requires a bit more skill than a typical deck.

Yeah I did not think I would go 13-2 with this deck. I thought it would be good, and, like I said, I'm sure the law of averages will bring it back down to Earth. But it's a good deck, takes some work and yes a little skill. Sometimes it's tough finding a DCE, but it's winning a lot. And it's not an autoloss against a Volcanion or Passimian deck too.

Fyi. You may want to consider incorporating:
  • 1 Max Potion (to completely heal a wounded Pokémon),
  • 1 Parallel City in order to remove unwanted (e.g., heavily wounded)/unneeded Pokémon from your bench, and
  • 1 Olympia a reusable (via VS Seeker) switching card.
I tested my Volcanion and Dark decks against a very similar build (opponent ran a 3-3-3 Decidueye GX line though) and was able to win 5 out of 6 games (should have won the 6th, but could not draw into the needed energy).

If your want to discuss game tactics and/or strategy, just PM me.

Volc is a tough matchup. The only game I lost with this deck last night was against Volc (of course in the first round of a tournament). But yes again you make good suggestions I'm just going to stick with the ain't broke don't fix it standard until I need to. I am tracking every card I play, so I'll probably switch out cards I rarely play for one or more of your suggestions after playing a good amount (at least 30 or 40) of games.

Just to update this deck has come back to Earth a little, I'm 22-8 now. The only change is that I've added a second Lysandre and dropped Olympia because I didn't play her a single time in any of the 30 matches, the only card I didn't play at least once. I had a couple of games where if I would have come across Lysandre sooner I would have probably won but it was buried in literally the last 3 cards of my deck.

Hey there friend, great start to a solid deck! Just a few ideas to add consistency.

Add:13
3 N
3 (1 more line of Decidueye GX)
2 Nest Ball
1 Pokémon Center Lady
3 Vs Seeker
1 Grass Energy

Take Away:13
4 Unkown
2 Level ball
3 Fighting Fury Belt
4 Lillie

I don't see that much damage output in this deck. I think maybe some kind of lock may help. I've seen some people puting in a 2-2-2 Vileplume line. I think it's really hard to Tauros/Decidueye get good results at least in this meta without a way to slow down your opponent.

Calcab, I also am running a Decidueye Vileplume deck and it's doing alright but not as well as this one. Yes damage out put is somewhat of an issue, but it's winning a lot.

Mukrow:

I don't run N. I did an analysis on it some months ago and came to the conclusion that N helps your opponent more than it hurts him (link: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/to-n-or-not-to-n-that-is-the-question.137218/#post-2846755)

I only had 2 Decidueye until last night. If I can squeeze it in I'll add a third line as at least 1 of my Decidueye line is usually prized

Nest ball might not be a bad idea, but I'm not giving up level balls, they are way too valuable for flexibility in what I can grab with them

If I ran VS seekers I'd probably try a PCL but it's a little counter to my strategy, it's a card that works in opposition to Tauros

I explained why I'm not running VS seekers above - feel free to disagree but again I'm winning more than 70% of my matches without them

Just don't need another grass energy

Definitely not dropping Unown, it's better than acro bike because it helps prevent me from starting Shaymin

I think everyone who's playing more than 1 Tauros is using FFB's with him

And absolutely NO WAY I'm dropping Lillie (Link:http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/lillie.138763/#post-2855613)

Thanks for the ideas and input though!

Calcab, I also am running a Decidueye Vileplume deck and it's doing alright but not as well as this one. Yes damage out put is somewhat of an issue, but it's winning a lot.

Mukrow:

I don't run N. I did an analysis on it some months ago and came to the conclusion that N helps your opponent more than it hurts him (link: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/to-n-or-not-to-n-that-is-the-question.137218/#post-2846755)

I only had 2 Decidueye until last night. If I can squeeze it in I'll add a third line as at least 1 of my Decidueye line is usually prized

Nest ball might not be a bad idea, but I'm not giving up level balls, they are way too valuable for flexibility in what I can grab with them

If I ran VS seekers I'd probably try a PCL but it's a little counter to my strategy, it's a card that works in opposition to Tauros

I explained why I'm not running VS seekers above - feel free to disagree but again I'm winning more than 70% of my matches without them

Just don't need another grass energy

Definitely not dropping Unown, it's better than acro bike because it helps prevent me from starting Shaymin

I think everyone who's playing more than 1 Tauros is using FFB's with him

And absolutely NO WAY I'm dropping Lillie (Link:http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/lillie.138763/#post-2855613)

Thanks for the ideas and input though!

Regarding Tauros. I think this is accurate and the way the card needs to be run when run in multiples. As a single, I think it *can* work without the FFB (I am doing so, but honestly don't love the card without FFB). It definitely seems most effective in that capacity when Ninja Boy'd in.

As for N, you know I agree LOL! That said, I like to run a 1 count of it for end game catch up. I avoid using the card like the plague early if I can though. As support for your use of Lillie, I decided to incorporate her as a 3 count in my Xerneas / M Gardevoir 2/2 deck. Small sample size is small sample size, but I have won the last 11 straight with that deck and have found that I definitely prefer the choice of discard / draw seven or draw 3-5 (normal on a non-first turn) to "shuffle draw" anything. That may just be my play style coming forward, but I think there is something there. I also think Pokemon adding the extra 2 count on the first turn extremely useful. It is almost always a no brainer play for me 1st turn.

I think I am going to try a variation of your deck without the VS Seekers at some point. FYI, the variation I run with the VS Seekers hasn't seen anywhere near this level of success for me. Most games are 50/50. Also, I think adding a 3rd Decidueye line might get in your way. On my variant, 3 was "just wrong" so to speak LOL! It was either 4 or 2. 4 was great because the focus was Decidueye. 2 was great because the focus could be on "everything else." 3 was just enough to get in the way of doing either. I don't have the statistics to back that up, but if you do make a 3/3/3 line, make sure to copy the deck first so you don't muddle your current. I think the current is better suited to what you are doing and I think you will dump that 3/3/3 line after a day or so LOL!

Back