Uralya

*ponders everything*
suicune.gif
landorus-therian.gif
kangaskhan-mega.gif
aegislash.gif
cresselia.gif

The ORAS VGC Metagame Discussion Thread
Expectations for, experiences with, and thoughts on the developing ORAS metagame!

Possible discussion topics include prominent threats, innovative combos, usage trends, how the metagame as a whole adapts from one event to the next, etc. Use it as a venting thread for your experiences (within reason). The purpose is to collect data from the playerbase about the metagame as it evolves.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
How have most people here been dealing with Thundurus? (My word, I hate that thing.)

You have to think about what kind of position you are in at the given time. If I have a Pokemon such as Sableye, I'll know to expect a Taunt coming from it. I don't really recommend fighting it with Landorus because of the strong possibility of Hidden Power Ice. I use Raikou on my team which does very well against Thundurus since Taunt won't bother Raikou and most of its attacks won't do much damage either. I also use an Assault Vest Metagross with Ice Punch which works very well. My team has two Intimidate users so it compliments the item perfectly. There are very few Pokemon that are able to take it out in one hit even if super-effective.

ironclouds

Aspiring Trainer
How have most people here been dealing with Thundurus? (My word, I hate that thing.)
Prankster Thunder Wave and Taunt are aggravating for sure, so I think neutralizing those threats is top priority. Here're a few Pokémon I think can counter Thundurus pretty well:

Excadrill would give Thundurus a headache. The possibility of Hidden Power Ice is a non-issue for Excadrill, as it'd do neutral damage against it. Plus, its Rock Slide can do some serious damage to Thundurus. And then there's its obvious immunity to Electric type attacks. Thundurus using Taunt against an Excadrill is not the smartest move, either.

Rotom-Wash is another good counter for Thundurus, as it's immune to Thunder Wave and takes 0.5x damage to Thundurus' most common moves. Although a Hydro Pump from Rotom-W would provide neutral damage, it'd still do a decent amount. Taunt isn't as much of an issue for Rotom-W, either.

Mamoswine is immune to Electric type attacks thanks to its Ground typing, and can do a good amount of damage with a super effective Ice Shard.

Weavile, although not immune to Thunder Wave, can also do a decent amount of damage with an Ice Shard. One running Icicle Crash would obviously do more damage.

Mega Venusaur counters non-Hidden Power Flying Thundurus well, too However, like Weavile, it's susceptible to getting paralyzed. As such, it's not as good a counter as the first three. But a Sludge Bomb from M-Venusaur can still do a decent amount of damage to Thundurus. It shrugs off Thunderbolt damage thanks to its Grass typing, and also shrugs off HP Ice damage thanks to its Thick Fat ability.

Thundurus definitely provides headaches if your team isn't prepared for it, though.

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring

Redirection. Use Amoonguss; it doesn't really care about HP Ice and will love to soak Thunder Waves all day. If Thundurus wants to Taunt you, then indeed go ahead and Rock Slide it with your Landorus. It has to pick to either watch HP Ice get redirected, or go for the Taunt and let Landorus get its way.

Rock Slide isn't an immediate KO, but it will make your opponent question if it's worth keeping Thundurus in.

Status
Not open for further replies.