Discussion The Next Staple Supporter-A Replacement for N, Colress?

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Due to the upcoming format, unless LTR and the last 10-12 BW promos are still legal, what does the future look like for the upcoming staple supporter? Will it be a format where Shauna is the new N, or will Ace trainer be the one? I've been wondering this for a while, and knowing the format is nearly upon us, I'm having a hard time deciding my next supporter of my Rayquaza Deck. What do you guys think?

It looks like our only real options will be PBO, Shauna and Sycamore in terms of draw support.

Cards like Ace Trainer are too niche. It's only really viable in decks that relying on going down in prizes, which are few and far between. Otherwise, it makes a great 61st card, but it's otherwise a dead draw in a lot of hands. I'd also argue that Teammates would be more game changing than Ace Trakner after losing a Pokemon

In no way a replacement for N/Colress, but maybe Pokemon Fan Club becomes more alluring. It can grab Shaymin EX to make it sort of a 'search and draw' support, Hoopa EX too.

I feel like a PFC combo like that would take up too much space in a deck. Shauna seems like the most viable option to me. I'd rather they make an N/colress reprint, but I guess Shauna and Birch are all we have until a new supporter comes up.

I feel like a PFC combo like that would take up too much space in a deck. Shauna seems like the most viable option to me. I'd rather they make an N/colress reprint, but I guess Shauna and Birch are all we have until a new supporter comes up.

I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment but I think it would be kinda cool to have less powerful draw supporters to recover from cards like red card or a bad hand.

I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment but I think it would be kinda cool to have less powerful draw supporters to recover from cards like red card or a bad hand.

Why would you want less powerful draw supporters to recover? Just run greater counts of more powerful supporters.

Obviously if you're already running 4-4-4 Sycamore PBO Shauna (Plz dn't) then possibly.

I think that what a lot of people will do will be to reduce the amount of supporter-based draw, e.g. from something like 4 N/4 Sycamore/2 Colress to something like 4 Sycamore/2 Birch or Shauna/1 Fan Club, and then make up for it with a lot more ability-based draw and a bit more item-based draw. Plus we'll probably see a little more use of techy and situational supporters. A few decks will still do the 4-4-2 type of thing- probably very slow and methodical ones that have some particular reason not to to use Shaymin EX, Hoopa EX or too many items. But I think most won't.

I also suspect that this is part of the roadmap for the game that PCL have developed drew up and have been putting into place.

I don't think it's a bad thing. It will make the draw engines/supporter lines of decks quite a lot more diverse and involve more thought. Before, the 4-4-2 was pretty much an autochoice. And I don't much like autochoice.

I've been experimenting with 2 PFC in my Trevenant/Shaymin deck at the moment- lets me grab a Phantump and Shaymin, allowing me to continue setting up my trees while still having a bit of draw support. Obviously the supporter I'll want on the first turn is Wally, but it's a decent substitute if not.

Doubt it'll be as useful in all decks, but I've found it a fairly decent Shauna replacement. I'm not a huge fan of Professor Birch, but I do run 3-1 Shauna-Birch in a lot of decks.

Back