RMT The Neverending Story

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I had so much fun (and so much good help) with my last themed team that I decided to do another: The Neverending Story! There's a film adaptation in which Falkor's a big cuddly lapdog-like dragon rather than the ruby-eyed mystical beast he should be, and Atreyu's not green-skinned, etc. This is based on the book. Dragonair's a perfectly good Falkor. Gallade's a perfectly good Atreyu.

The Team at a Glance
gallade.gif
dragonair.gif
entei.gif
magnezone.gif
thundurus-therian.gif
torterra.gif

Okay, I know your first thought was something along the lines of "What are Torterra and Dragonair doing in an OU team?"
You'd be surprised, but they actually work.

In Depth
gallade.gif

Atreyu (Gallade) (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Knock Off

Based on the secondary protagonist of the Neverending Story, Atreyu the Gallade makes a very nice physical sweeper. I remember seeing a Gallade set a while back that had Substitute, too, but I'm not sure I want that over Knock Off.
EVs are fairly standard, I think.

dragonair.gif

Falkor (Dragonair) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Dragon Rush
- Toxic
- Rest
- Extreme Speed

Falkor the luckdragon has to be Dragonair. There's not a more fitting Pokémon. It holds Eviolite to make it an effective wall, with EVs placed appropriately. I like the Rest/Shed Skin combination, although I can only rarely use it.

entei.gif

Grograman (Entei) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- ExtremeSpeed
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Grograman, the lionlike Many Colored Death in the book, is Entei as a Pokémon. Grograman rules a desert, and Entei is a Fire-type. It fits. I wanted to use Pyroar, but we're not trying to make this too NU.
It has Sacred Fire and Extreme Speed like all good Entei, and the last two moves are just what seemed appropriate. I almost never use them, but I also never wish I had anything in their place, so they're good to have.
I considered the possibility of a bulky variant, and I might still go with that, since Entei doesn't seem to outspeed anything without Jolly anyway.

magnezone.gif

Ygramul (Magnezone) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave

Ygramul the Many is made up of a ton of tiny insects, that with a hivemind, can shapeshift their collective body. Magneton would better fit this, but I wanted it to be a bulky attacker, which Magneton pretty much isn't.
Pretty standard moves and EVs, I think. I only rarely find myself using Thunder Wave, so I might replace that with Thunderbolt.

thundurus-therian.gif

Ilwan (Thundurus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Psychic

Ilwan the Blue Jinn is a minor character in the book, but fit the part of Thundurus-T so well I couldn't not use it. Thunderbolt, HP Ice, and Volt Switch are standard for a Scarfed Thundurus-T, and I'm using Psychic for the last move (tell me if there's a better one).

torterra.gif

Morla (Torterra) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Moral the Ancient One is a giant turtle who is so big she is often mistaken for a mountain. I swear, Ken Sugimori used her as a Torterra design concept.
I'm debating Focus Sash instead of Leftovers to help it against Fire-types like Victini, but for that I'd likely need a Rapid Spinner.

Here's a PS battle with it: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-243339653

And that's the team. What can I do to make it better?

The Neverending Story is a pretty decent book and a cool theme. However, as a person who has made many themed RMTs, I advise you to first make a team and then choose the character each member represents, rather than vice-versa. While it's nice to have the best fitting mon for representing a character, the team's purpose is first and foremost to win. As you do right now, you miss out on a lot of potential because you're building around the book characters, not the Pokemon. Not only are some of the Pokemon outclassed, there also seems to be no real plan or synergy. Even in your descriptions you take more space introducing the character represented than explaining the set's function and purpose. For example, you run Magnezone. Magnezone is pretty bad as a mon in OU, and its only purpose is to trap Steel-types. However, none of your mons has a problem against Steel except Dragonair, who is a wall anyway. In attempting to replicate some characters as well as you could, you went way off in teambuilding.

With that out of the way, let's move on to changes. However, I'm warning you. It will involve a lot of mon swapping, so if you're too keen on keeping some of these, I suggest you try for a lower tier team (besides, as it is right now, you have 1 OU and 2 BL mons, 1 UU and 2 NU).

First, the most obvious one, Dragonair. I understand that you mean for it to act as a Physical wall. However, with measly 61/65 physical bulk, even Eviolite won't save you from taking serious damage compared to pretty much any physical wall. Its moves are also questionable. Dragon Rush is downright bad, and Extreme Speed is pointless, not to mention that both are very weak with only 84 base Attack and no investment. To take advantage of Dragonair you would be better off running a RestTalk Dragon Dance set, but you'd be even better off running something else, like Ferrothorn or Slowbro, or if you want a Dragon, TankChomp. Chomp and Ferro can also use SR (and Spikes in Ferro's case). It really depends on what you wanna wall the most and the rest of the team.

Next, Magnezone. Unless you find yourself in a pinch against Steel-types (for example, your team is overall too weak to it, or your main sweeper is walled by Skarmory), you shouldn't use it at all. If you do use it, go for either Specs or Scarf, as Magnezone is otherwise more of a burden than a boon. However, if all you want is a bulky attacker there are way better options out there like Heatran, Latias or Sylveon.

Torterra is another underwhelming mon. With a ton of common weaknesses and middling stats, it just won't make the cut in OU. If you want an offensive SR setter, you can go for Garchomp or Terrakion. And of course, there's more than enough defensive SR setters. It's really up to you.

That's pretty much all I can say for the time being. I know many suggestions are vague and maybe empty, but without knowing your strategy I can't do much more. As I told you before, decide on a core and a strategy before starting to name, so as not to be limited by the theme. What I gave right now is only general improvement advice, but on a team with a specific goal and strategy it's much easier to make good suggestions.

Back