Pokemon The Most Forgotten Pokémon

GoobieDoob said:
Bob The Magical Penguin said:
... and how are you supposed to say Illumise? ...

In case you were wondering, it's pronounced: ill-OOH-MEE-say

Thanks for that, but alas, I'll never remember that unless they both spontaneously get awesome evolutions.

Igglybuff. No, not jigglypuff, IGGLYBUFF
130px-174Igglybuff.png

Or any of the other babies introduced in the second gen

Also skiploom.

ryter78 said:
Igglybuff. No, not jigglypuff, IGGLYBUFF
Or any of the other babies introduced in the second gen

Gah, I wish I could forget Igglybuff. Look at those piercing, evil red eyes! Just kidding, but still. Also, I remember every baby Pokemon introduced in second-gen, and Azurill, who was third gen. I just pretty much can remember everything, just sometimes when I see someone using one that I haven't seen in a long time such as Lumineon, Persian, Manectric, etc., I just go:

"Wow. I need to go get me one of them."

Finneon. Hands down.

I think most of the forgotten Pokemon out there have at least some anchor to fame. Snubull was one of the first gen 2 Pokemon revealed and had a role in that Pikachu movie short, Farfetch'd is famous for being terrible, babies are special in some sense because they're babies, etc etc. A lot of Pokemon who suck in VG also have some claim to fame in the TCG, like Neo Sneasel and Slowking.

But Finneon? Man there is literally nothing to this thing. It's a fish. It has one of the most common typings in the game. And its evolution is equally as obscure. I cannot think of a single quirk that sets this thing apart.

bacon said:
Finneon. Hands down.

I think most of the forgotten Pokemon out there have at least some anchor to fame. Snubull was one of the first gen 2 Pokemon revealed and had a role in that Pikachu movie short, Farfetch'd is famous for being terrible, babies are special in some sense because they're babies, etc etc. A lot of Pokemon who suck in VG also have some claim to fame in the TCG, like Neo Sneasel and Slowking.

But Finneon? Man there is literally nothing to this thing. It's a fish. It has one of the most common typings in the game. And its evolution is equally as obscure. I cannot think of a single quirk that sets this thing apart.

The only "quirk" it really has is being a butterfly fish and being able to learn silverwind. That's pretty much it. It has a nice enough design though.

Jungletoad said:
Grumpig and Swalot ._. Did any in-game trainers even have one of them?

Swalot is one of those pokemon people could describe but wouldn't remember their name. Plus he had this big anime battle. I forget when though.

Grumpig had a whole anime episode centered around it if I'm not mistaken.

But then again, it's the anime. Not much.

SuperDuper said:
bacon said:
Finneon. Hands down.

The only "quirk" it really has is being a butterfly fish and being able to learn silverwind. That's pretty much it. It has a nice enough design though.

And it can learn a few things most other Water Types don't learn. Not just Silver Wind. Like:
- Captivate
- U-Turn
- Bounce
- Charm
- Tailwind
- Defog
- Twister
- Ominous Wind

Plus, it can have Storm Drain. If I'm correct, very few Pokemon have this outside of Dream World.

Alright, let get some—sort of—science in this thread. There's this site called "Sporcle.com" where you can test your knowledge of subjects ranging from pop culture to science. Of course there's a Pokémon quiz where you have to name all Pokémon of a specific generation. I've only done the Gen I quiz (link), which has had over 1.5 million participants, making it by far the most popular quiz in the gaming category. If that's not a giant sample size then I don't know what is.

Anyhow, the least forgotten Pokémon is obviously Pikachu with 93.8% and the most forgotten Pokémon in this quiz is Exeggcutor (Points to Teal) with a pitiful 33.6%, which means barely over a third of all participants remember him, and remember that a lot of participants probably just wrote down the Pokérap. Exeggcutor is followed quite obviously by Exeggcute at 33.8%, Lickitung at 35.8%, Kingler at 37.8% and krabby at 39.2%.

The top 20 continues as follows: Shellder, Dodrio, Pinsir, Parasect (WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!), Cloyster, Farfetch'd, Tangela, Seadra, Drowzee, Cubone, Slowbro, Paras, Rhyhorn, Porygon and lastly Hypno.

So that's it, a lot of really awesome Pokémon (like for example Hypno, Cloyster, Slowbro, PARASECT NO SERIOUSLY HOW IN THE WORLD, WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU????, and Tangela) seem to not be quite as memorable.

If you want to see the rest of the percentages or the percentages for the other generations, simply do the quiz yourself; the results page shows all the percentages.

Heavenly Spoon said:
Alright, let get some—sort of—science in this thread. There's this site called "Sporcle.com" where you can test your knowledge of subjects ranging from pop culture to science. Of course there's a Pokémon quiz where you have to name all Pokémon of a specific generation. I've only done the Gen I quiz (link), which has had over 1.5 million participants, making it by far the most popular quiz in the gaming category. If that's not a giant sample size then I don't know what is.

Anyhow, the least forgotten Pokémon is obviously Pikachu with 93.8% and the most forgotten Pokémon in this quiz is Exeggcutor (Points to Teal) with a pitiful 33.6%, which means barely over a third of all participants remember him, and remember that a lot of participants probably just wrote down the Pokérap. Exeggcutor is followed quite obviously by Exeggcute at 33.8%, Lickitung at 35.8%, Kingler at 37.8% and krabby at 39.2%.

The top 20 continues as follows: Shellder, Dodrio, Pinsir, Parasect (WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!), Cloyster, Farfetch'd, Tangela, Seadra, Drowzee, Cubone, Slowbro, Paras, Rhyhorn, Porygon and lastly Hypno.

So that's it, a lot of really awesome Pokémon (like for example Hypno, Cloyster, Slowbro, PARASECT NO SERIOUSLY HOW IN THE WORLD, WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU????, and Tangela) seem to not be quite as memorable.

If you want to see the rest of the percentages or the percentages for the other generations, simply do the quiz yourself; the results page shows all the percentages.

How do you not remember lickitung and kingler. I call BS.

Exeggutor happens to be my favourite gen 1 Pokemon too! I'm a little surprised that Exeggutor's the least memorable, as it at least has fame in being on Gary's final team as well as being one of *the* most powerful Pokemon in gen 1. Maybe people just had difficulty spelling the name. :Y

Heavenly Spoon said:

I have taken that quiz a few times before, and it's not that I forget Exeggcutor, necessarily. I just forget how to spell his name. It's probably the most difficult gen 1 name, along with it's prevo. If you can't spell it right, it doesn't accept it. The quiz is timed and you don't want to just go off and look it up while the clock runs out. While you can pause the timer, that seems just a bit cheaty, no? Not to mention that people can be pretty lazy, too.

But that's just my thought on it.

Krabby/Kingler? I was recently seeing a list of water Pokémon when I ran across these two and then I thought: "Oh, you two...haven't see or remember you in a looong time." I don't like shellfish in general and seeing Kingler with that bigger pinch...pretty forgettable to me.
Oh, it seems the post above me, which cites @Heavenly Spoon, does include these two!
I can't forget Exeggutor and Exeggcute since I'm a grass type loving trainer but to this very day I don't know how to write their names properly!!...And yes, I looked the above posts to write their names XD
What about Seel and Dewgong? Those are some of the simpler Pokémon ever in terms of design...just two white and goofy sea lions or something. Even their cry is goofy.

Leaf_Ranger said:
What about Seel and Dewgong? Those are some of the simpler Pokémon ever in terms of design...just two white and goofy sea lions or something. Even their cry is goofy.

You take that back! Well, actually, since generation 1 they are still considered UU and NFE. Still, I love 'em.

GoobieDoob said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

You take that back! Well, actually, since generation 1 they are still considered UU and NFE. Still, I love 'em.

I'm sorry for offending your likes. ;)
Since I'm not into competitive battle and I don't even keep an eye on that, I was only talking in general.

Leaf_Ranger said:
GoobieDoob said:

Since I'm not into competitive battle and I don't even keep an eye on that, I was only talking in general.

I'm also not big on competitive. I was just using those as examples. In XD: Gale of Darkness, I have a level 59 Dewgong that I raised from Shadow Seel. I will never make a new game because of that. And I have a Hariyama and an Espeon, but mostly Dewgong.

Now for Gens 4 & 5:

-Kricketot line (didn't play in the mornings)
-Budew line (even forgot to put Roselia in the last one)
-Chingling (Chimecho can be remembered)
-Stunky line (had Pearl, not Diamond)
-Chatot (remembered him with the PR yesterday)
-Finneon line (don't even know where they are)
-Tympole line (not very common)
-Cottonee line (not (really) in White)
-Karrablast & Shelmet lines (never really liked them)
-Elgyem line (who should be in the desert rather than that tower)
-Vullaby line (not in White)

GoobieDoob said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

I'm also not big on competitive. I was just using those as examples. In XD: Gale of Darkness, I have a level 59 Dewgong that I raised from Shadow Seel. I will never make a new game because of that. And I have a Hariyama and an Espeon, but mostly Dewgong.

Back in Gen.I I didn't used to dislike Seel and Dewgong that much, I even used to think they were cute (they still are but I'll explain) but then I started to like Grass types more and more and so Lorelei and her Pokémon became a symbol of hatred and fustration (to this very day I still have some fear and suspicion of Ice type gym leaders. I sure don't take them lightly). So they are still cute and when I said they look goofy, my heart and mind were with grass type Pokémon! :p
I prefer Spheal. I just fell in love with its evolutionary line. I still remember catching Spheal and how I loved to train it and watch it evolving all the way into Walrein. I migrate it from Sapphire to Diamond.

Back