The MLB is fixed.

DawnOfXatu

XXXatu
Welcome everybody. You may know me as DawnOfXatu, or even DOX, from these forums. I have laid dormant about a huge injustice that has been plaguing the modern world for the last couple of past decades. I talk of none other than the MLB (Major League Baseball). Now most of you have been brainwashed. You have been able to avoid the truth for a massive amount of time. I talk of course of the fact that the MLB is fixed. Now before I go any further I must make one thing clear.

If you just say that this thread is stupid and just call me crazy, then I WILL report you.

Now that you have all read that I may move on to make my points.

Thesis Statement
Now of course my thesis is that the MLB is fixed. Not only do I have the proof, but I have actually been able to debate this point with MLB experts and other sports fanatics. The fact that the MLB is fixed may not have the clarity to be proven or falsified. Therefore I will give you all of my information that I use to fight for my side. Although this may seem far beyond belief, I challenge any and everybody to counter one of my points with real logic.

Exhibit A: The Reason
I will start my arguement with a simple question. "What is the purpose of the MLB?" In case you are not aware, the main reason for professional sports is one thing. Capital (Money). Some may say that professional sports are to entertain, but that is a means for people to make money. If you think that things like the MLB are made to entertain, then you are a self-centered person. Now obviously you must realize that fixing the MLB would be much easier to make money. There are plenty of ways in which being able to know who wins before the match could be beneficial, and of course lead to more money in peoples pockets.

Exhibit B: Easy Money with Organized Crime
The first way in which the MLB could benefit from fixing the games is the obvious one. Throughout this whole paper I will make various accusations in which I state that the MLB, and other pro sports, are in conjunction with organized crime, so that they can make more money. This may not seem like a lot but an easy way in which money can be made, is by abusing an addiction of people, gambling. Gambling has been made illegal throughout the U.S. but that doesn't mean that it has disappeared completely. The Mob (Term that I'll use for organized crime gangs) has been shown to be a key player in most of the gambling that takes place illegaly in the U.S. They can also be shown to have connections with gambling establishments, like the one in Atlantic City. So now what does this have to do with anything? Well I propose that with the information gained by knowing who wins Baseball matchups, the Mob, and other gambling related personel (Bookies) can skewer the odds projected by gambling establishments, as well as use the addiction to baseball to reap money from the masses. Of course you are all wondering "How can the people skewer the results?" The answer to that is that the Mob (having such a big claim in the process) can tell the MLB who to let win. Thus giving the Mob a way of making the most money off of gamblers. Not only that, but the MLB also uses its vast somes of money to bankrupt any gambling establishment that opposes the Mob. If they MLB already knows who the winner is, then making a vast some of money off of people becomes as easy as finding a third party person to make the bet.

Exhibit C: How they Fix the Games
Well that has obviously been your question for the better part of this essay, no? Well of course it isn't a very difficult idea to think of. I propose that the players of the MLB are in fact required to use Steroids, as well as corked bats. Not only that, but the actual pitching order, and what type of pitches that a pitcher will use are given to the opposing team in advance. That is so that the games can be made long, short, interesting, boring, exciting, or heart-breaking. All of the players in the MLB are all skilled actors of a sort. They are all able to hit homers without a problem, every time that they need to. Which is another way in which they are able to help make the games stop when they are needed to stop. The actual idea of how the MLB could fix a game isn't very hard to imagine. It is how the MLB works outside of the game that makes this hard to swallow.

Exhibit D: The use of Merchandise to make the most of the Money
Well this is of course where the MLB makes their money. They use their ability to fix games to stimulate the sales of certain products. These products are of course all over the country, and although they may not be able to sell all of the merchandise, they can make those teams that aren't doing as well in sales have a stimulus in their sales. Take for example the Boston Red Sox. The fans of this team were starting to loose their faith in 2000-2003 which of course started to damage the sales of their products. With Massachusettes growing quickly in population at the time, it had become the best possible time for them to win. In 2004 the Boston Red Sox were given their victory, stimulating sales, and letting them increase the sales in the New England area. With merchandise sales being the biggest way for the MLB to make its money, then fixing the games becomes a needed truth. There needs to be a specific area in which sales were highest, for a long time that area was New York City. As you can see, the teams that win the most are the teams in highest popularity, mainly because nobody would buy more merchandise if a team like the Pittsburg Pirates started to win more often.

Exhibit E: What if they Talk?
Well that has been the question that I have gotten the most with the introduction of this theory. What if the members of teams/other important people talk? Well although I may not have the most perfect explanation, I do have a theory in which I can explain this. My theory is that the people who are part of the MLB aren't paid in conventional means. The players are paid in MLB stocks. Those stocks allow the MLB to have complete financial control over its players. Although that doesn't stop the players from talking. It does leave a negative effect if they do talk. So if a person threatens to talk/talks then they will become completely broke. Not only that but with the MLB's connection to the Mob, it isn't completely impossible to think that the Mob can just "whack" anybody who has any actual proof that the MLB is a corrupt group. One last possibility, if someone threatens to talk, say A-Rod, the MLB can easily just bring out their proof that the player has taken steroids or has used a corked bat. With that the player looses any and all creditability, causing them to be hounded by the press, and add to an overall negative outcome.

The Conclusion
Well as you all can see, I have made a point to say that the MLB is corrupt, and could easily be in conjunction with organized crime. I would like to leave you with a little simile. The MLB is like the WWE. It is purely used to make money, through Paying for TV Specials, and of course Merchandise. The MLB is also fixed and they follow the same formula as the WWE. If you are any bit familiar with the WWE, then you would know that the World Champ is always around for a decent period of time, until they start to lose popularity and become a handicap for sales. Then the Heavyweight Champ is replaced constantly with a string of useless placeholders until they find a fitting replacement for sales. For a long time we had a Heavyweight Champ that was in high popularity.
(The NY Yankees) after their long win streak, they were replaced, and then there was a string of useless placeholders, until the time in which they find a suitable replacement.
Well that is everything, I may update if I noticed that I forgot any part of the arguement. Be sure to post any questions/debates. Thank you for reading, and I hope that you don't find me to be a crazy person.

This could apply to any professional sports league in existance. I do think it's a solid argument but I disagree. If it were to be discovered that any pro sports league were fixed, it would be a gigantic PR disaster. Leagues can recover from strikes and lockouts, but I'm not so sure any major league would be able to survive the potential fallout from a fixing scandal of that magnitude. It's interesting to think about, one way or another.

I'll concede that I'm not a huge follower of the MLB.

Ok I havent read a post that has angered me this much in a while. But I will stay calm and state my points.

Point A there is no argument, yes it is to make money. Ok end of that one

Point B Ok where the heck did organized crime come in? Gambling is not illegal in all of the US and there are plenty of online places to bet. But Im still realling on how gangs/the mob comes in to this. Plus sometimes people do go on slumps and have a bad game. Do you play any sports at a high level? Cause everyone goes on highs and lows, it is hard if a star has a bad game to win. I cant argue that the "mob" is still handling illegal gambling in the US but still... fixing games doesnt turn out well as it is usually found out. I can't think of the guys name but there was a QB a while ago who threw a big game for someone's money. Also I know someone is going to say the Refs have something to do with it but my Dad refed college D1/2 football for 35 years and he knows plenty of the refs in the NFL (taught some too) and trust me they are not cheating games like people say they do.

Point 3 Ok yes they can throw games but have you ever tried hitting a ball 400+ feet? Its not as easy as you think. Remember they are using wooden bats.

Point 4 They don't "cycle" championship teams. And why us dissin my Pirates? Do you not remember how they have 5 MLB championships (If im counting right) and some of the best players in MLB history. The only thing is we keep getting good prospects to be great but then trade them away for 4 more prospects where one of which will be great lol. But seriosly they do make most of their money off merchandise so that much is true.

Point 5 Ok easest refuted yet. The player in their latter years goes to NBC and tells them he has a story that will blow them on the behinds. Gives them an amt. they want which I can GUARANTEE is high then these stocks are that there is no proof that exists. They air it and this guy becomes a hero and has more money then he could ever dream. Then no one would care if they were taking steroids cause they revealed the biggest hox in MLB history.

Oh and PLEASE dont compare the MLB to WWE who has been proven to be staged. Also if you look baseball has been declining in popularity so Im sure if they were cheeting they could get the publicity back

Now as a final not. I am not trying to start a flame war, or upset anyone. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. I would also like to state I am typing this right before I go to bed so I may have said something I dont mean to. Ill fix it tommarow

Why I'm sorry that this post angered you, but it isn't like I insulted anything or anybody, more than just pointing out the obvious.

A: I'm glad you agree

B: Well although the idea may seem a little out there, the actual possibility still exists. The guy who was found to be throwing games, that was in football, and although I did hint toward this being related to all pro sports, I would find that the MLB is the easiest to fix out of any of the pro sports. So the fact that your father knows people in the NFL doesn't have a whole lot to do with this. I'll probably come back and argue the rest of this point later.

3: Well I do wonder why you switched to numbers instead of letters, but that isn't really the point... I myself cannot hit a baseball 400+ feet (or even 200 feet either) but you must admit that if someone was to take steroids, uses corked bats, as well as being already well trained and fairly buff, then they shouldn't have a huge amount of trouble hitting home runs. It isn't fact, but I think that if they do this then hitting home runs (which is why people watch the MLB) isn't incredibly hard to do.

4: I'm not really dissing the pirtates (I'm from Pittsburg so I knew enough to use them as an example.) They have had some great players (Clemente, Stargel, ect.) and they were even in the first World Series. However in current times the Pirates really haven't done much because people in the Pittsburg area aren't in high enough quantity to get more sales off of them winning. (Plus they have the Steelers.)

5: Well that is the biggest flaw that I have in my arguement, although I am able to pose a possibility. Yet we don't really have too many of the New-Era MLB players who are getting up in years. I'll probably fix this part of the arguement once I find a more possible solution.

Hey guys Pokemon is fixed, its true!

Dude you came in and spouted generalizations and conspiracy theories and teh said DONT ARGUE WITH ME OR YOULL BE INTROUBLE.

How am I NOT supposed to laugh?:p

But sure you can say things like the New York Giants, but if your really watched the New England Patriots you could have foreseen there demise sooner or later. I saw all of the NFL Playoff games.

I skimmed through this I really didn't read all of it yet (keyword, yet) since I am like not really concentrated and like half watching TV and half on the computer. But this caught my eye:

DawnOfXatu said:
The Conclusion
Well as you all can see, I have made a point to say that the MLB is corrupt, and could easily be in conjunction with organized crime. I would like to leave you with a little simile. The MLB is like the WWE. It is purely used to make money, through Paying for TV Specials, and of course Merchandise. The MLB is also fixed and they follow the same formula as the WWE. If you are any bit familiar with the WWE, then you would know that the World Champ is always around for a decent period of time, until they start to lose popularity and become a handicap for sales. Then the Heavyweight Champ is replaced constantly with a string of useless placeholders until they find a fitting replacement for sales. For a long time we had a Heavyweight Champ that was in high popularity.
(The NY Yankees) after their long win streak, they were replaced, and then there was a string of useless placeholders, until the time in which they find a suitable replacement.
Well that is everything, I may update if I noticed that I forgot any part of the arguement. Be sure to post any questions/debates. Thank you for reading, and I hope that you don't find me to be a crazy person.

There really is no way you can compare the WWE and MLB. First off where do you have to pay for watching a baseball game? If you support your favorite team in YOUR city then you aren't paying anything, but if you moved to a completely different city then I can see your point. Otherwise I don't see where you have to pay to watch a baseball game. The World Series is hosted on FOX, Playoffs are hosted on TBS and FOX. Both of which are FREE with even basic cable.

Second off you cannot call baseball as predictable as the WWE. I swear to god I predicted a match yesterday while my brothers were watching the WWE (it was a match on RAW with CM Punk, and 2 other people; I called that towards the end of the match the 2 other people were going to do something that gets them to stop grouping up on CM Punk and then he would just do his infamous move and win; Guess what happened...yep you guessed it I called it. Even after I haven't watched the WWE for about 2 or 3 years.). When I watch Baseball there is not predictable outcome in the game, a good example would be The Mets, although I dislike the Mets I watch a few games here and there and lets say they play the one of the easiest team in the world and lose? Now why is that, is it predictable that the Mets who have come close to the Playoffs always lose? Does the "Big Brother running the MLB" want them to lose? No. Its because of the players, MLB players go through WAY MORE than WWE Players. MLB players play 3 or 4 times a week through 9 Innings of a game which takes time, patients, and skill. What about the WWE? You do 1 match a week? Wrestle for 10 or 20 Mins at that time? There is a lot more conditioning to play Baseball then be in the WWE.

But for predictability and marketability, I really don't see it.If there was such a case, then why didn't the Boston Redsox win against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays during the Playoffs? I mean the Redsox are more "marketable" then the Devil Rays after being coin probably the worst team in the MLB next to the Washington Nationals. The Boston area has so many successful teams (The 17-1 Patriots, the WORLD CHAMPS Boston Celtics, and the Boston Redsox) Now I am not a fan of Boston since I am from the NJ area and I support the NJ/NY teams except in Basketball because I support the Celtics because they have my favorite player (Kevin Garnett) is on the team but that's just a different topic on its own.

Now, what good teams does the Florida Area have? I mean the only people I can see somewhat marketable are The Orlando Magic (who are considered one of the best NBA teams this year), and maybe the Miami Dolphins (who did decent this year; and might be coming back even stronger next year).

Now which of these 2 do you think is more marketable in base? In Boston you have 3 Great teams who have performed greatly year after year after year. Or teams that are considered sup-par? Sure you can the "Underdog" route, but seriously have often does that come up? Did the Tampa Bay Devil Rays win the World Series? No. Were they the "Underdogs"? Yes. So if it was predictable why didn't the "Underdogs" since since everyone always goes for the "Underdog" team?

But you come up with the point with losing popularity and not winning. What about the 2001 NY Yankees in which they LOST the World Series and were one the most watched teams and a team which everyone wanted them to win especially after going through all the 9/11 attacks. That was their biggest height of popularity because it brought everyone together because of the horrific event, yet they didn't win. While in the WWE it becomes convenient that the World Champ is losing most of the match then all of a sudden the tides turn and "somehow" they win. That's not the case in baseball though, if you say its true, please I would like to see some evidence on how predictable Baseball can be.

But if you really continue to say that it is still rigid then all of Sports is rigged! Nothing is real! Sports are all schemed!

Lol, sorry had to but that in there. Anyway, sorry if this sounds harsh or something its not meant to be, I am just expressing my opinion like you. And sorry for the the misspelling my spell check is not working =(.

DD: Where did I say anything similar to that? All I said is that if you are going to argue, use a sensible form of arguement. Which is what people have been doing anyway. I may have stated ideas that could be misconstrued as what you said, but I feel that I have a valid arguement that I want to have others look at.

Anthony G: Why did the Rays beat the Red Sox? That is because Florida is a vialble market, and I would use the Underdog arguement a little. Boston would still maintain its market (playoffs after all) and they could stimulate Florida too. A good market isn't based upon the skills and results from other teams. The marketability that an area has is based upon the size of the fanbase and the population of the area. Florida has a great population, which is why they could make money off of their victories. Although there may not have been a victory for Florida last season, they have setup a storyline in which the Rays are a group of underdogs, who were shot-down on their first attempt but will return to take the win. I may not be able to predict the games of the MLB as well as I can predict the WWE, but it isn't the hardest sport to predict. As long as you are willing to argue without just dismissing my arguements then I am fine with whatever you have to say.

Just because of the population of the place does not give it automatically a "great fan base". The 4 main groups of people I see in Florida are; The Elderly, Young 20's, College Students, and Tourist.

Now think about what the Florida state people contains. It has retirees who after working a long time they go and move into Florida to live out the rest of their life in comfort and relaxation. Florida also contains really nothing but party goers and people in their young 20's ready work all day and party all night. These 2 groups alone make up most of the Florida population which both don't do much for their marketability because most "older" folks don't watch that many sports but rather play sports such as Golf to pass the time. Now people in there 20's really don't care about sports but much rather care about wheres the next hot club to go to or where to go until 3'o clock in the morning to drink up and have a good time; Same goes for College students, people going to the University of Florida are rather more interested in their College team which has one of the greatest Football Programs in the world. Finally the tourist, now no tourist just visits a state in which to watch sporting evens, but rather go into the thriving city, nightlife and beaches of Florida, not to watch a sporting event.

Also you really don't have much of an argument to say that Baseball is "predicable", you really haven't shown me any facts on what makes it so "predictable" as you say, which is one part I see you defend but have no suitable examples to show me how it is so.

Again, sorry if this sounds harsh or something its not meant to be, I am just expressing my opinion like you.

An argument is nothing without substantial evidense or proof. All you are stating is a possibility, something that may or may not be true.

I also believe you are somewhat picky about the information you take from baseball games. You have chosen suspicious instances for your arguments (Such as the NY yankees being replaced), but have not compared them to the amount of regular occurences throughout baseball. I am sure that the teams and players in baseball have a very dynamic and active hierachy system going on, with players and teams changing positions and such all the time- so are we not due for a seemingly suspicious event once in a while? The laws of chance and luck say this to be true.

Lastly, if every player is in on the scam, then I for one would be amazed at how no information on the scandal has leaked out before now. You could say that the police are also in on this... but how far are you willing to take your theory? It's quite shaky as it is.

I think you are right. The MLB is the Shadiest Professional sport, and could easily get away with something like this. I also agree that they are trying to replace the yankees. When they started to stop winning champiionships, all of a sudden andy petite, roger clemons, jason girardi, and now a-rod have been caught taking steroids. I support you in your allegation.

But as scampy said, I don't think it is as big as you say. But then again, the U.S gov probably has a bunch of things fixed.

Anthony G: That is a rough generalization. The general population of Florida is just like those of any other place. To say that Florida is just a place filled with Elderly people and youthful people is a huge stereotype of Florida. Plus most College Students and Elderly people are able to like/watch sports, in which case I would still be right.

Scampy: As long as a theory isn't proven wrong, then it remains a theory. As most theories specific instances are needed to help make ones point. I still am not able to make the most convincing reasoning behind why the players haven't talked before, but even though my theory is shaky, I have yet to see anyone with anything more than just claims that my ideas are unlikely.

Well of course not. A theory is something that is based completely on scepticism, so you'll never be able to prove or disprove it without evidense. So your statement about "people not being able to prove you wrong" is entirely irrelevent.

Ok, I can see where you're coming from. This entrie theory is quite credible, and I of course have my doubts, like any other MLB fan would. However, with your theory of the teams setting up the game before it actually happens makes me quite skeptical. There would have to be some way of these events accidentley leaking out into the press, and also, every player must be in on the scam for it to work. Sure it's a lot of money to risk, but a lot of players there would probably go ballistic at the phrase of "letting the other team win", leaking the information almost immedientley. And even so, the plays made couldn't be perfect, foul balls, injuries, etc. I just can't wrap my head around such a big deal in the current world of sports.

Hmm, yeah, Wrestling has been a huge controversy over the years. Many people, including myself, think it's fixed. MLB, now this is new. Completely agree with the money argument, that I can stand by. Just skimmed the rest, but it's quite clear this is only a theory, not complete proof. Although the Steriod conversation has been going on for years, it's really become widespread now, and that's really hurt the MLB as a sport and pastime.

dmaster out.

scampy said:
Well of course not. A theory is something that is based completely on scepticism, so you'll never be able to prove or disprove it without evidense. So your statement about "people not being able to prove you wrong" is entirely irrelevent.

I'm sorry I didn't do a great job of making myself clear. What I was trying to say was that I have yet to see anybody with anything besides skeptisism (sp?) Although they have been able to make valid points, they haven't been able to do anything to actually damage the validity of my statements.

Also it is nice to see that other people have found this believable. It may not be the most possible sounding explanation, but these people are at least able to respect a different point of veiw. Also I should probably change my opening paragraph. Although this may or may not be true, without any evidence going either way this is just a theory.

Okay, I respect your opinion and beleifs, but I seriously doubt this. One, how long are thinking the MLB is fixing games? There's no way they could keep it secret for 100+ years. In 1919 The white sox were paid to throw the world series, this was found out in less than a year. Two, there is no way they could keep 1,000+ Baseball Players quiet about this? Even if they would go broke if they admitted it, The player who came out with it would still get paid tons afterwards due to apologies from MLB, and selling rights to make things like Novels and Documentaries. And what, you say their all just acting and everything game is scripted? So the pitcher is told to throw some balls as strikes and some as balls? That's IMPOSSIBLE. Then there is some of your so-called 'proofs':

DawnOfXatu said:
Take for example the Boston Red Sox. The fans of this team were starting to loose their faith in 2000-2003 which of course started to damage the sales of their products. With Massachusettes growing quickly in population at the time, it had become the best possible time for them to win. In 2004 the Boston Red Sox were given their victory, stimulating sales, and letting them increase the sales in the New England area. With merchandise sales being the biggest way for the MLB to make its money, then fixing the games becomes a needed truth.

....Do you even KNOW anything about anything?! I am from Boston and can personally say if anything from 2000-2003 the Red Sox were actually GAINING popularity due to the fact they actually pulling of great trades and getting great players, and where just barely getting this close to the world series, unlike older editions which where just plain choking.

DawnOfXatu said:
There needs to be a specific area in which sales were highest, for a long time that area was New York City. As you can see, the teams that win the most are the teams in highest popularity, mainly because nobody would buy more merchandise if a team like the Pittsburg Pirates started to win more often.

Oh, so the MLB will pick Yankees over Pirates in the world series if it came down to it? The 1960 World Series says differently.

I just really find any of this really hard to believe, I will agree the MLB is a shady game due to steroids and things but there's no way games could be fixed. If anything it is the least likely to have fixed games, since other sports like Basketball and Football have much more refeering and official descisions than baseball.

I see your point, but do you really think the MLB is fixed? You haven't posted one fact. Everything you wrote are just theorys. You said that since none of your points have been proven wrong, they could still be right. I find this ridiculous. For instance, someone could say, "Dragons are real". No one has proven them wrong, so it could be true, right? Of course not. Just because something can't be proven 100%, doesn't mean it still has a good chance of being real.

The MLB has been going on for over 100 years, do you really think that they could keep a secret that long? Also, like a lot of people have stated, if someone was to come out and say it was fixed, they would get tons of money in publisity, so someone would have done it already.

I could go on for hours telling you tons of things that would make your theorys sound ridiculous. But in my opinion, it would be a waist of time, considering that what you wrote is so, so far from being true, and is not even worth arguing over.

Please don't think I am getting mad at you or anything. I'm just stating my opinion...like you stated yours.

First off, I only said that this has been going on for a couple of decades, nothing too long. It was really just when the MLB started to merchandise at its full potential (around the late 70's through the late 80's) So overall I have been saying that lately, this has been going on. Even if the Pirates have beat the Yankees in 1960, in this current era, there is no way that they would choose the Pirates over the Yankees.

People are spending more time poking at the fact that this is just a theory, instead of trying to come up with facts that could actually disprove this.

Back