• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard The Glover (Golisopod GX / Leafeon GX / Lurantis / Pheromosa)

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
THE GLOVER

_470_leafeon_by_allocen-d7me3or.png

Pokémon (20):
  • 1 Pheromosa SM6 (beatdown)
  • 3 Golisopod GX (beatdown)
  • 4 Wimpod SM3 (evolution)
  • 2 Leafeon GX (evolution)
  • 2 Eevee SM1 (evolution)
  • 2 Tapu Lele GX (setup)
  • 3 Fomatis (evolution)
  • 3 Lurantis (enables)
Trainer (28):
  • 2 Bridgette (search)
  • 3 Guzma (control)
  • 3 Cynthia (draw)
  • 3 Hala (draw)
  • 3 N (draw)
  • 3 Choice Band (beatdown)
  • 4 Escape Rope (control)
  • 2 Field Blower (discard)
  • 1 Revitalizer (retrieval)
  • 4 Ultra Ball (search)
Energy (12):
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 8 Grass Energy

STRATEGY:

Start with Wimpod and use Tapu Lele GX to set up with Brigette. Search for Eevee and bench two Fomatis in addition to another attacker. Retreat the active Wimpod for free and attach a Basic Grass Energy to Eevee. Use Grant Bloom GX to evolve the entire bench. Next turn start to attack with Solar Beam. Once Leafeon GX is defeated attack with Golisopod GX and use Escape Rope and Guzma to switch between Golisopod and Pheromosa. With three benched Lurantis and Choice Band Golisopod GX is able to ohko most defenders.

SPOILER:

Pheromosa
Basic Grass Pokémon - Ultra Beast
HP: 110
[C] High Jump Kick: 20
[G][G][C] White Ray: 90
If you have 1 prize card remaining, this attack does 90 more damage
Retreat Cost: 0
Weakness: R

Last edited:
First off, I think you meant Grass Energy. At least, I hope you did. :p

-8 Water Energy
+8 Grass Energy

Anyways, list looks mostly solid. These are the changes I'd make:

-4 Escape Rope
+3 Acerola
+1 Wimpod

Acerola is too good in Golisopod not to run. A 4th Wimpod makes it easier to Acerola, and Wimpod is your preferred starter. With Pal Pad, I don't think you need this many draw supporters, so:

-1 Sycamore
+1 Brigette

T1 Brigette feels crucial here, since you want to have all your basics out so you can use Leafeon's GX attack. Now, for the final edit:

-1 Guzma
-1 DCE
-1 Grass Energy
+1 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX
+2 Float Stone

Dawn Wings Necrozma will be great here. Stick a Float Stone on it, and you've got a guranteed 120 damage First Impression every turn. You don't need this much Energy, and with Acerola, Float, Dawn Wings, and Pal Pad, 4 Guzma becomes excessive.

Hope this was helpful :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi GekkisaiDaiNi,

Thanks for the review. The second Bridgette indeed sounds fine and the basic energies clearly were a typo. Not sure on Acerola since there will be several ohko decks in this format which reduces its value. I like the idea of Dawn Wing Necrozma too and need to test it out first to see whether it assists the deck more than it compromises the consistency of the deck. I decided to cut one Escape rope for a second Pal Pad to retrieve and reuse Guzma.

Hi GekkisaiDaiNi,

Thanks for the review. The second Bridgette indeed sounds fine and the basic energies clearly were a typo. Not sure on Acerola since there will be several ohko decks in this format which reduces its value. I like the idea of Dawn Wing Necrozma too and need to test it out first to see whether it assists the deck more than it compromises the consistency of the deck. I decided to cut one Escape rope for a second Pal Pad to retrieve and reuse Guzma.
Still not sure why E-Rope is nessescary. You don't have a free retreater without Float Stone, so it isn't that great as a pivot option. With Acerola, you have the option to deny prizes while setting up First Impression. Second Pal Pad is a good inclusion, and with 2, I think you'd be safe to lose an N for a Wimpod.

Hi GekkisaiDaiNi,

The main idea is to have two Golisopod out and switch between them with either Guzma or Escape Rope. The latter is a non-supporter means to switch between Pokémon and also provides some additional disruption. Most setup decks hate to be forced to switch out Pokémon constantly. Will check to see whether a fourth Wimpod can be included in the deck. I would love to retain nine draw supporter to ensure that Pal Pad can be focused on Guzma and to have a stable draw engine that allows me to access the cards that I need in time. Since the local meta is more focused on decks that can hit hard and have means to achieve ohkos Acerola is a lot less attractive. Examples include Silvally variants, several Metal decks in addition to classics such as Gardevoir and Volcanion variants. With a sizeable portion of decks that can ohko there is little use for Acerola. Another example includes this deck. With two to three Lurantis and Choice Band the deck does not have an excessive hard time to ohko.

Hi GekkisaiDaiNi,

I'm really curious to which OHKO decks are you referring? I don't see the format shifting from 2HKO decks because of ultra prism.

I'm really curious to which OHKO decks are you referring? I don't see the format shifting from 2HKO decks because of ultra prism.

Here is a brief list of decks that can hit for 190 to 210 at least two to three times during a match. Note that the list is not comprehensive.

• Alolan Ninetales Box
  • Dusk Mane Necrozma Magnezone
  • Fighting Box
  • Golisopod Lurantis
  • Golisopod Weavile
  • Gourgeist
  • Garchomp Lucario
  • Gardevoir
  • Lunala Box
  • Rainbow Road
  • Silvally Fighting
  • Silvally Psychic
  • Silvally Metal
  • Salazzle Box
  • Solgaleo
  • Volcanion
  • Water Box

Some of the decks are not new at all but recieved trainer cards that make them a lot more stable and viable. There are also decks that can hit for a stable 180 damage at a rather consistnt list such as some Zoroark variants but those are not listed above at the moment. I used 190 to 210 as a threshold to determine the status of a deck as a ohko deck. Hope this provides some initial assistance.

Sorry, but half of those decks can not hit that 210 more than once a match, and even fewer are competitively viable.

One example is Silvally metal, once the GX move has been used, hitting more than 170 is near impossible. I have no idea what you think that deck is getting that makes it a OHKO deck.

Sorry, but half of those decks can not hit that 210 more than once a match, and even fewer are competitively viable.

One example is Silvally metal, once the GX move has been used, hitting more than 170 is near impossible. I have no idea what you think that deck is getting that makes it a OHKO deck.

You are fully entiteled to your opinion but I do know what I have seen in the local meta were SM5 has been released and is legal for use.

You are fully entiteled to your opinion but I do know what I have seen in the local meta were SM5 has been released and is legal for use.

Do you live in Japan? What is the tech in silvally metal that makes it hit that 210 more than once?

Silvally has three relevant memory in Fighting, Fire, and Psychic. It has access to an excessive amount of acceleration in Max Elixir, Registeel, and Solgaleo Prism Star. It also has excellent secondary attackers in Dusk Mane Necrozma GX, Solgeleo Prism Star, and Cobalion. All three of them can hit for 160 to 250 damage under the right circumstances if you can fuel them and they all have free retreat with Silvally GX.

Silvally has three relevant memory in Fighting, Fire, and Psychic. It has access to an excessive amount of acceleration in Max Elixir, Registeel, and Solgaleo Prism Star. It also has excellent secondary attackers in Dusk Mane Necrozma GX, Solgeleo Prism Star, and Cobalion. All three of them can hit for 160 to 250 damage under the right circumstances if you can fuel them and they all have free retreat with Silvally GX.

I've played a lot of Silvally metal, in my head your version of the deck does not work very well. The meta is starting to pick up speed again, and that version you're proposing seems so slow, so I would have to actually play it. I could be completely wrong. I would like to ask again, are you in Japan? Where are you seeing this local meta you mentioned?

Part of the time I am in Japan and part of the time in Europe. The impressions are from what I have seen in local leagues. No idea on bigger tournaments. I still remember that a lot of people said that Celesteela GX is rubbish and too much effort when it was first released. At the same time it worked real well in London. Fueling Dusk Mane Necrozma GX is a challenge but the massive amount of acceleration in addition to Solgaleo Prism star help a lot. Try the deck. It is much better than it seems on paper. same holds for the psychic variant. Lunala Prism Star is real decent and helps to fuel the Necrozma assistance lines. However, we are getting really off-topic here. Any comments on the decklist above?

This is literally the first thing I thought of when I saw that leafeon gx card!!!! Nice setup man I'll be running a deck similar to this once UP drops and I get my box(es). Hoping to score at least one leafy

Hi Mario W,

Thanks for the review. Traded one Golisopod GX for a tech Golisopod non-GX to have an alternate attacker that can hit Safe Guard Pokémon. Best luck with the booster box pulls.

Super interested in this list! I think Promo Lurantis is going to see a fair amount of play with the introduction of Leafeon.

As for changes I personally would make, I do have to agree with Gekki on the Escape Ropes being swapped for Acerola. As an avid ZoroPod player, Acerola is insaaaanely good with Golisopod to deny knockouts. As for your OHKOing list of decks, it's hard for me to completely speak to since I play in the US meta and I know things tend to differ from area to area. That said, like Gekki mentioned most of those decks will not be getting an OHKO on a Golisopod, at least not consistently, while other decks listed I do not imagine will be seeing high level competitive play.

Just my thoughts! So many decks to test in the next couple of months, and this is definitely on my radar :D

Hi RileyTheRad,

Thanks for the review. Still not that sold on Acerola in the local meta but it sure is an option. One could cut one Cynthia and one Guzma to include two Acerola with ease. It is on the list of possible tech inclusions.

Its the healing factor of acerola that's her main attraction. The rope will get your active out, but its still open to sniping (if their deck has that) or an opponents guzma

Hi Mario W,

Thanks for the review. For me the selling point of Acerola was the fact that it removed Golisopod GX from the active position and healed at the same time. It is this combo that makes Acerola attractive. However, if you face a lot of decks able to ohko Acerola has considerably less value. Lets look at the mirror match. Once the deck set up Golisopod GX will hit for 210 damage. Assuming that more decks can accomplish this aim Acerola looses value. Escape Rope also has two additional added values: It can be used in combination with a draw supporter and it also messes with the opponent's board. Nevertheless, Acerola is on the list of tech cards that can be used to modify the template list above. Other cards of interest would be Revitalizer and a 1-1 Cherim line.

Great list!

this might be a little to clunky with all the evolution lines in this deck but you defiantly should trade the three escape ropes for Acerolas because you can deny prizes to your opponent and switch cards out of the active.

Here's an example:

Your playing against Decidueye GX Zoroark GX, you have an active golisopod GX your oponent uses riotous beating with a full bench and choice band and 2 feather arrows for 190 damage.

You can either:

escape rope and swing with another golisopod and take the knockout on the active zoroark GX (assuming you hit it for 120 on your last turn) and then then your opponent uses one feather arrow with decidueye GX to take the knockout then they put up another zoroark, bench another Pokemon then hit you for 170 (cause they used a feather arrow all ready) as you start crying, wishing you had acerola.

Or:

Acerola your golisopod going into another golisopod and knockout your oponent as they cry.

Back