The game in jeopardy once Rayquaza EX hits?

Ursus

Aspiring Trainer
A friend and I have been talking and it seems that with the way cards have fallen victim to the absurd power creep as of lately (in comparison to Base Set cards), and it really seems like Rayquaza EX is going to be absolutely way too strong. It will be incredibly easy to set up rayquaza to ohko things after a few turns and have a consistent 180 damage each turn. This sparks a few questions.

Is there a possibility that a card as strong as Rayquaza EX could be banned?

Is there anything that will be able to counter it besides itself?

I had been thinking about Giratina EX being one of the few cards with the ability to ohko Rayquaza, but it can't set up nearly as fast as Quaza can.

What will be the best ways to keep such a powerful card in check to where the entire metagame does not consist of playing Rayquaza+Eels or lose?

Just kill the Eelectriks and Rayquaza can't stream attacks.

The regular Rayquaza and some other dragons can hit it for weakness and can be teched into decks.

Zoroark and Darkrai will still be a fast and powerful deck.

So it will most likely be the BDIF but it's not the end of the world.

I believe that Rayquaza's capability to OHKO any EX is going to severely decrease the amount of EXes played besides Rayquaza. However, cards such as Terrakion, as well as Zekrom/Reshiram BW, who could make a comeback, will be okay against it. This is because at worst they can trade prizes with Rayquaza while forcing it to use a lot of energy, and at best they can OHKO the Eelektriks and halt Rayquaza completely. This isn't to say that Rayquaza won't be good; I still think it will be among the best decks in the meta if not the BDIF.

At worse, I could see the game devolving into Rayquaza KO exchanges, but that's not jeopardizing the game, we have that now with Mewtwo anyway. But I don't see the game devolving like that, I see Pokemon Catcher and Raikou EX becoming ridiculously important for Eels KO exchanges.

regular rayquaza is a good starter for decks looking to tech it. 1 lighting for 40 is huge in this format. of course the draw back of discarding two cards from the deck. But being able to take out key targets with plus power is really very huge and worth the drawback. *fingers crossed*

Back