Discussion The Future of Alakazam & Friends (& Enemies)

Yog

Rogue
2hChsnq.png

I've been out of the game for a few months with college work to focus on, as I'm reading around here and trying to make my own predictions about what deck to focus on for the post-rotation metagame, I find my thoughts keep coming back to Alakazam and Mega-Kazam. It seems pretty damn awesome to me, and it doesn't hurt that he's been a long time fave of mine. now if only Mawile/Whimsicott/Volcarona would get some designer's love already :p

I guess this thread is to get a grip on other people's thoughts on these cards. See what I'm overlooking, and how I can fix it.

cmYxc1d.png

Obviously these are a powerful pair of cards, in their own right. On the base you have good spread damage, assuming your opponent has energy attached. Which they'll have to do sooner or later unless it's Greninja or Yanmega, and even if they don't, you can start placing damage down through just abilities. The attacks are low cost, the damage is uncapped - I don't need to talk through why these cards are so good, but maybe I need to talk about why they are good right now.

~​

People are predicting a meta with a lot of focus on Mewtwo & it's Mega. These ones in particular:

UHqwmf0.png

With a colourless attack that is quite over-powered, Mewtwo could become the Toad or Rayqueza of this format, with dozens of different approaches to it's build depending on what else raises in popularity. Especially with Nightmarch out of the picture, not many other things hit Psychic so hard. But that plays well for Alakazam too. Building any deck that can hit this for weakness might be a good way to start thinking about what is worth playing in the upcoming Standard format. Alakazam does just that. On the flipside, while Alakazam is of course, also weak to Psychic, it is notable that M-Mewtwo's fearful Infinity attack does not hit for weakness.

At 160 and 210 HP respectively, regular Mewtwo-EX needs three or four energy attachments to take out Alakazam-EX or it's Mega, while M-Mewtwo needs five energy attachments between you, or seven for the Mega. They are some pretty steep costs considering firstly, Alakazam is a low cost attacker even with the removal of Dimension Valley from the meta, and secondly, regular Alakazam will punish those attachments happening on the bench behind any wall.

If the meta at large is going to be focused around Mewtwo, the right Alakazam build ought have a favourable match-up here, along with pretty good chances against many other decks.

~​

All well and good. Mewtwo is gonna be everywhere and Alakazam is a great counter. But apart from the trouble that low-to-no energy decks like the aforementioned Greninja/Yanmega decks, why is everyone writing Alakazam off already then? The Season hasn't even begun.

Mostly due to one factor - Garbodor.

x3AZz5J.png

Of course Alakazam is a deck that pivots on being able to freely use it's abilities, and Garbodor shuts that right down. And how do you stop a problem like that? With Xerosic, and Startling Megaphone moving out of standard, we're left with little to no valid options for removing the tools of the opponent. This has led many (including myself) to expect a significant chunk of the metagame to be based around Garbodor decks, and needing to work around Garbodor decks. And I still do think that and it will be. It is going to be a big player in a lot of decks, make no mistake about that. And we will all have to figure out how to get around the trash bag king.

With no way to remove tools, we'll be reduced to either having decks that need no abilities to function, sniping at it on the bench from afar (except without abilities to do that awks), or using Lysandre to pull up Garb, and taking it out before it can float stone retreat home.

There is a card that was released in the same set as Alakazam, that hits for a perfect 50 - doubled to 100 thanks to weakness - that also synergises well with Alakazam in other ways - in Grumpig.

1yM0pmf.png

Most people looked at this card and assumed it was designed with helping topple Night March in mind except, well that really doesn't make sense when you think about it. So now think about it with an Alakazam build in mind. Its second attack stops Garbodor dead in its tracks, freeing up your abilities. Meanwhile, it's first attack is custom made to pull up an EX card from discard to the bench, and set it up so M-Kazam can hit it for 100 additional damage onto the 30 it will have. That's Shaymin or Manaphy range. Or, you can do 30 with Grumpig, plus 20 or 30 from an Alakazam evolution, and that's every-card-in-the-game range. It'd take two turns of course, but you get two prizes.

I fully believe this card was designed to be Alakazam's partner-in-crime, and nothing to do with Night March at all.

~​

There is a second partner to Alakazam I want to touch on, and it's not the obvious Generations Golbat reprint. (Although of course, he could be a way to build a Kazam deck)

yrgoO1M.png

Az has left the format. But Devolution Spray serves our purposes to the same ends, and without using a Supporter. Using Weavile's ability means with just one M-Kazam, and just one Spirit Link, it's possible to evolve up to four Alakazams in one turn. That's 20/40/60/80 damage to the active. As well as 30/60/90/120! damage to the bench. And that bench damage can be spread around to suit your needs be it piling on a Shaymin, polishing off some weak or injured, or just setting it up so your opponent's card are within killing distance for M-Kazam.

But why stop there? How many times have you wished you could make a Mega bulkier but for those damned Spirit Links occupying the tool slot? The deck can be tweaked to bring in Float Stones, Heavy Vests, Spoons, whatever future tools become important. Plus you can pass these tools around as needed. Once you have a Float Stone in play, it becomes everyone's Float Stone.

~​

I don't particularly have a conclusion here. I guess if you've read this far I'd like to know if you have other concerns apart from the trashbag about why Alakazam has no place in the Meta.

I'm also interested in other thoughts people might have approaching a Kazam build.

Other options I'm experimenting with include Golbat, Team Magma's Base (with PokePuffs haha! edit: doesn't work like that), Hoopa for pulling out the star and allowing for a pyramid build 4-3 or even 4-2 thanks to Weavile's ability.

Tell me what you think.

Sample current build:
kUkz99E.png

Sidenote: Don't search for Alakazam on dA with the filters turned off or you're gonna have a bad time o.o Credit where it's due: Thumb taken from here: http://jakerichmond.deviantart.com/art/Alakazam-194584904

Last edited:
Have you reviewed the new STS Hoopa? I'm finding it to be a great starter and initial attacker for M Alkazam EX.

Hoopa STS is a good attacker for Alakazam. One punch or one Kinesis on a Trubbish is all you need for a Lysandre -> Zen Force KO.

If you can get around Garbodor, Mega Alakazam has a superb Mewtwo matchup.

Another option, though not foolproof, is to tech in one Rattata EVO. You can use its Ability to discard their Float Stone before they evolve. Then just discard it with Parallel City, or let them KO the Rattata and force a seven-prize game.

Hoopa is fantastic. I threw out Grumpig a week or two back, and made room for 3 Hoopa with the hopes of starting with him.

I may update the OP when I get a chance. It's a must.

I would run less Tools, more Stadiums and Supporters, and a couple of Mega Turbos over Max Elixers.

Just want to add that a single punch from Hoopa does 40 damage to an active Mewtwo-EX, which is enough to OHKO Mega Mewtwo with Zen Force. This is pretty cool because if you don't get KOed you can just leave Hoopa up front and start dismantling their Bench with Kinesis and punches.

Have you tried Max Elixir in this deck?

If you can get around Garbodor, Mega Alakazam has a superb Mewtwo matchup.
Garbodor has not been an issue at all... Hoopa STS sets the stage extremely well in this match-up.

Hoopa is fantastic. I threw out Grumpig a week or two back, and made room for 3 Hoopa with the hopes of starting with him... It's a must.
:)

I prefer not to; Mega Turbo seem quite sufficient for me and are 100% chance of getting and attaching a discarded P energy onto my M Alakazam EX. Secondly, with only requiring 2 energy to attack, I have sufficient time to power-up.

I shall have to update this with my latest build soon. The sample build above had three Elixir but at present I'm running two. I prefer it over Mega Turbo as often times I want to attack with the base Alakazam, the Hoopa, and even once in a blue moon, the Shaymin or Hoopa-EX.

Using Max Elixir with only seven energy means you can't just throw the card down as soon as you see it though - there is an element of waiting until you've thinned the deck and you can count how many energy are likely in the stack, or waiting until you've used Super Rod late to tip the balance.

When would you ever want to use Suppression, outside of situations in which the alternative is passing?

When would you ever want to use Suppression, outside of situations in which the alternative is passing?

Absolutely. The goal in the early game is to get damage counters on as many of your opponents pokémon as possible.

Okay so, after posting this a few poeple asked here and in PM, about my updated list. I was playing it in the September tournament though, so I didn't want to fully reveal it :D

Here is the deck I used, although, there's a few cards I would change since, but once I'd started the month I couldn't do that of course. It went 4-2, losing to (iirc) a Darktina, and a Rainbow Road deck. Beating another Darktina, a Vespiquen mix, one concession, and I can't remember the last deck for the life of me :D

One of these games was against @D-Babs, so maybe you can check it out on his YT channel soon.

GpQeJ3u.png

Or for those that want to import straight to PTCGO

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 2 Sneasel STS 60
* 2 Weavile STS 61
* 3 Alakazam-EX FAC 117
* 3 M Alakazam-EX FAC 118
* 3 Hoopa STS 51
* 1 Hoopa-EX PR-XY XY71

##Trainer Cards - 37

* 2 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 1 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 4 N FAC 105
* 4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 2 Skyla BKP 122
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 2 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Float Stone PLF 99
* 2 Team Magma's Secret Base DCR 32
* 2 Devolution Spray FAC 95
* 2 Lysandre FLF 104
* 2 Alakazam Spirit Link FAC 90
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Bursting Balloon BKP 97
* 3 Trainers' Mail AOR 100

##Energy - 7

* 7 Psychic Energy GEN 79

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I really like the list as it stands, but if I could find the room, cards I'd like to add include;
+1 Hoopa - No other starter is that much of a pain with the float stones and the Weavile, but you really do want to begin with baby Hoopa.
+1 Spirit Link - as much as I believe you can get away with less links than Megas in this one particular deck, if you happen to prize both, the deck can refuse to function like you'd like, and you are left in the situation of needing to (very) slowly get a prize drawn, and hope it's one of the links so you can really get motoring.
+1 Devo Spray - another one would be real useful for any time you have to discard some early. Not critical though.
+1 Eco Arm - since the deck is quite tool based, adding this, plus an extra balloon could really change the dynamic of this deck. Also works well with the low Spirit Link count.
+1 Ninja Boy - to help negate Shaymin/Hoopa starts, or to quickly move from a Hoopa with one energy, to a Kazam into MKazam & two energy. Since you can move the tools around, spirit links on Shaymin or anywhere are not the end of the world.
+1 Assault Vest - so many special energy decks going around, this could be very useful. And basic Kazam is quite a fragile EX. Bursting Balloon seems to do a more all-round job for now.

But to find room for those is the trouble. The Max Elixir can stand to leave, they are not too important and with only seven energy cards stand a higher than usual chance of whiffing. Hex Maniac could possibly be dropped as she's non-essential too - but so many times she is so useful. Parralel City is another non-essential card, yet quite useful to clear your own bench, and very meta-relevant right now with all the Rainbow Road and MegaRay going round.

To make room for any others, you're beginning to eat into your own consistency cards I fear. So it's a tough call to cut an N or a Trainer's Mail.

Comments since OP

Baby Hoopa. This card is so good with this deck. Absolutely fabulous opener. For one energy you're spreading damage right from the off. Grumpig was a nice experiment, but it's back to the bulk box with him.

Max Elixir vs Mega Turbo. I am starting to feel like I don't need either. There are pros and cons to both. Max Elixir can work on any basic - of which you will want to use Hoopa a lot, Shaymin occasionally, and Hoopa-EX once in a blue moon. But the deck is very light on energy. Meanwhile Mega Turbo only works on Mega-Kazam, but at least it's guaranteed. With Hoopa swinging for one, and both Kazam & Mega-Kazam needing just two - is there any need for either really? Acceleration is not too much of an issue. The additional recycling granted by Mega-Turbo is a boon however.

Garbodor. I'm quite pleasantly surprised at just how much of a non-issue Garb has been. You have the upper hand on Mewtwo decks. If it's Darktina, a Garb appearing on the bench means Tina can now be freely attacked and they are stuck with a tough decision whether to even pull him out. And against Scizor, you are more relying on balloons and bench sniping anyway, because of the resistance. A bigger thorn in the side of this deck is Rough Seas.

This is hands down my favourite deck to use right now. People don't seem to see it coming <3 and if your opponent can't think on their feet, they may as well scoop. Hopefully this thread is useful to someone out there looking for a different deck for Standard that can still be competitive.

Baby Hoopa with a FFB does 30 to the active. I'll confirm that it's a great starter for Al.

Here's the video for all who are interested. Not my finest hour but a good showing for Yog's Alakazam deck. Hope you enjoy!

I think this deck does much better than most give it credit for. What do you think of Mincinno in this deck?

I think this deck does much better than most give it credit for. What do you think of Mincinno in this deck?

I haven't tried it, but honestly, with the weakness, ability to snipe, and the tendency of Garb decks to not run healing, Garb isn't enough of a problem to warrant messing with the formula. Now a Mincinno that could stop Rough Seas, that'd be worth looking into :p

I haven't tried it, but honestly, with the weakness, ability to snipe, and the tendency of Garb decks to not run healing, Garb isn't enough of a problem to warrant messing with the formula. Now a Mincinno that could stop Rough Seas, that'd be worth looking into :p

There is Remoraid

XY8_EN_32.png

http://imgur.com/UTValZZ i went 40-31 with this. if u wanted any explanations, fire away. didnt know how to just insert picture like everyone else, my bad.

You can add img tags around the URL of the image. Needs to have the .png or the .jpg part - so it's the address of the image and not just the page it's on.

e.g., you can use this button
XYm9QsG.png

or you can manually type the tags like so

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/UTValZZ.png[/img]

to become this

UTValZZ.png

Back