The Fall of HD DVD

PaperAirplane :F

Aspiring Trainer
Yes, I've made thread about Blu-Ray vs HD DVD long time ago, but now the war ended. I always said Blu-Ray > HD DVD, but let's not talk about my ULTIMATZ PWNAGE IN TECHNOLOGIE, but about well... Blu-Ray PWNAGE!

Yes, that's true, Toshiba who had patent for HD DVD and invested millions in it, finally quit. They said: "HD DVD is still better than Blu-Ray, but it wasn't people who choose Blu-Ray, it was industry". Well, something like that.

What does that mean for battle between XB360 and PS3? We all know that PS3 is like REALLY expensive and stuff and that XB360 is quite expensive as well, but still cheaper. Why? Because PS3 is better. Ok, you probably want some prove. PS3 has Blu-Ray player included, while XB360 doesn't have Blu-Ray or HD DVD player. That means that in next few years games will maybe be on Blu-Rays (it's not impossible, the designer of MGS3 already said that Blu-Ray isn't big enough for the whole game, they had to cut it) and that means XB360 will ... LOSE

Also, let's all say RIP HD DVD.

:F

GODZILLA, this is huge. Everyone will soon have Blue-Ray Disc Players and be watching Blue-Ray movies. You probably still have VHS, just because you don't care. ://

This could have a profound effect on Sony in general. Blue-Ray Movies are coming to the PSP too. I think this is just what Sony needs to not be in last place anymore.

dmaster out.

I'm sorry but I can be quite the n00b sometimes. Any way, whats the difference between blu-ray and HD DVD?

What is the difference between Blu-ray and HD-DVD?
Blu-ray
Storage capacity 25GB (single-layer)
50GB (dual-layer)

HD-DVD
15GB (single-layer)
30GB (dual-layer)

Laser wavelength
Blue-ray 405nm (blue laser)

HD-DVD 405nm (blue laser)

Numerical aperture (NA)
B-R 0.85

HD 0.65

Disc diameter
Disc thickness
B-R 120mm
1.2mm

HD 120mm
1.2mm

Protection layer
Hard coating
B-R0.1mm
Yes

HD 0.6mm
No

Track pitch
B-R 0.32µm

HD 0.40µm

Data transfer rate (data)
Data transfer rate (video/audio)
B-R 36.0Mbps (1x)
54.0Mbps (1.5x)

HD 36.55Mbps (1x)
36.55Mbps (1x)

Video resolution (max)
Video bit rate (max)
BR 1920×1080 (1080p)
40.0Mbps

HD 1920×1080 (1080p)
28.0Mbps

Video codecs
B-R MPEG-2
MPEG-4 AVC
SMPTE VC-1

HD MPEG-2
MPEG-4 AVC
SMPTE VC-1

Audio codecs
B-R Linear PCM
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby TrueHD
DTS Digital Surround
DTS-HD

HD Linear PCM
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby TrueHD
DTS Digital Surround
DTS-HD

Interactivity
B_R BD-J

HD HDi

Mainly just specification differences...

dmaster out.

You guys don't seem to understand logic. Godzilla has brains. You do not need a Blue ray player for you to watch you DVD's on. They are outrageously expensive. They are not worth $900.00 or $500.00 just to get the best quality of picture. A regular DVD player or HD DVD player is your best choice for now. When they stop selling those THEN you get the Blue Ray Player but not until then. It is not worth your money for a blue Ray player. Don't buy one even if you can afford it. You can buy a DVD player that will play your DVD's without the extra quality. Save your money for other things like a Wii Pokemon cards or DS. You can get a ton of Pokemon cards for $900.00.:)

There are combo Blu-Ray/HD DVD players out there. Just buy one of those and you should be set. If they're not in stores they're probably on eBay. Although they are most likely still too expensive for the average person.

They are not even worth your money you will have just as good of a picture without the exta stuff. It is just not worth it. When regular DVD players drop in the hole then you buy an HD or Blue ray. With the prices of gas and everything else now is not the time to buy very expensive items.:)

NyJonesy26 said:
There are combo Blu-Ray/HD DVD players out there. Just buy one of those and you should be set. If they're not in stores they're probably on eBay. Although they are most likely still too expensive for the average person.

Replies to that thread kinda pissed me off >.<

^How can you say that after reading the whole thread? I thought I made it clear, that it's no use to have HD DVD player anymore and then there you come with your great logic to buy "combo BR/HD DVD player" >.<

GODZILLA and xxashxx, you were probably saying same when DVD came out. "Who cares?" and "I'm not going to buy that until they stop selling CDs" And look at yourselves now. I bet both of you has DVD player AND CD player.

:F (Grrr)

Dr. Ooler :F said:
^How can you say that after reading the whole thread? I thought I made it clear, that it's no use to have HD DVD player anymore and then there you come with your great logic to buy "combo BR/HD DVD player" >.<

Maybe some people actually want an HD-DVD player. Besides, I don't think this thread changed a whole lot of lives, so I don't think you need to make a big deal out of it.

Yeah, but 360 as Live. And better graphics. If ur going to buy a PS3 because of the Blu-Ray, just buy a Blu-Ray instead.

NyJonesy26 said:

GODZILLA and xxashxx, you were probably saying same when DVD came out. "Who cares?" and "I'm not going to buy that until they stop selling CDs" And look at yourselves now. I bet both of you has DVD player AND CD player.

OOLER, OMG, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT IDEA? This thread is about a certain type of DVD. Not the entire DVD technology. The battle between "HD" and "Blu Ray" was about the dominant TYPE of DVD CD. NOT DVD'S VS CD's. I, and most likely xxasxx, have a DVD player and many DVD's. We bought it long before the "HD vs Blu Ray" thing began.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH?

It's something that is still too expensive for the average person. Perhaps in the future when the prices start to go down on them. I remember when DVD players were first released, and they were really high priced. But now, you can get one pretty cheaply, so most of us own them. That's the reason I think it's going to take longer for Blu-Ray to really be a common thing in homes. HD DVD is a little more affordable at this point.

GODZILLA said:
NyJonesy26 said:

OOLER, OMG, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT IDEA? This thread is about a certain type of DVD. Not the entire DVD technology. The battle between "HD" and "Blu Ray" was about the dominant TYPE of DVD CD. NOT DVD'S VS CD's. I, and most likely xxasxx, have a DVD player and many DVD's. We bought it long before the "HD vs Blu Ray" thing began.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH?

I don't think you understand that at all. HD DVD has absolutely nothing to do with common DVD. It only has part of name same. It's a totally new technology. It's technology with blue rays. But Toshiba named it HD DVD because it's High Definition media ... and they used name DVD. Here we go = HD DVD. Blu-ray name is because it has blue rays.

However, my point in previous post was that it's same as few years ago when DVDs came out. Everyone was like "Pffft that's too expensive, CDs are good enough." Of course. Then DVDs became cheaper and we all have DVD player now, however we have CD players as well. Same as with Blu-Ray (BR). It's too expensive now, but after awhile it'll probably be like DVD now.

Pokeymanz said:
eah, but 360 as Live. And better graphics. If ur going to buy a PS3 because of the Blu-Ray, just buy a Blu-Ray instead.

Yea, XB360 has Live! ... and so what? PS3 has PS Store... >.< PS3 however is one of the cheapest BR players at the moment.

It's still DVD CD technology, Ooler. Just two different types of it. One being better than the other, too.

Whatever you mean "DVD CD technology". The technology of Blu-Ray and HD DVD is same, but different from DVDs and CDs. As said, it uses blue rays. The difference is that BRs have more space, but only few scratches can make it useless (didn't find the word for it, that's why I wrote it so complicated).

Is there nobody else that thinks that's the future?

Whatever you mean "DVD CD technology". The technology of Blu-Ray and HD DVD is same, but different from DVDs and CDs. As said, it uses blue rays. The difference is that BRs have more space, but only few scratches can make it useless (didn't find the word for it, that's why I wrote it so complicated).

They're still DISKS. -____-

Raises hand.
Yes PS3 sells has dramatically increased for the win of blu-ray. It will just take a while for people to adjust. It was about 20 years or so since VHS was replaced by DVD and it has been about only 10 years since this new adjustment. The new wave of technology has just came to early to most people.

Back