The experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacon

!!!!!
[20:35] Ok, well, to understand lets use world war two
[20:36] Back then, some people were employed to listen over enemy Morse code messages. This was, of course, very handy and we were able to gleam information from the dots and dashes...
[20:36] ...however...
[20:36] Something strange started to happen. Using the wonderful power of the subconscious, not only were people decoding the messages, but they could also figure out who was sending them even if no names were mentioned.
[20:37] So what I am now wondering is if we leave "accents" in the posts we type, and if people can guess who typed them.

Right, so here it is. Four mods have typed up short paragraphs on the following themes, and based on their answers you have to guess who they are. Simple, right? The themes are as follows;

1) What you would say to a doctor who told you your head was at risk of falling off.

2) Describe a pineapple.

3) A reason why you hate dogs.

And now for the fun bit. Guess who wrote the following things;

Moderator one wrote:

1) Can you glue it back on if it does fall off? :O

2) It's a brown thingy with seeds in the things where the seeds. And it grows on those trees with the needles.

3) Well, they bark a lot, and they have teeth. Seriously, some of them are like wild animals, only listening to their boss because they're weird like that :S

Moderator two wrote:

1) I'd probably laugh at first and then if he told me he was serious I'd probably ask him how something like this could happen.

2) It's brown and sharp. You could probably kill a guy with one if you threw it hard enough. Then all you gotta do is go up and eat it, no more murder weapon.

3) They smell. They're huge. They're loud. They take too much effort to take care of. How many times you ever hear in the news about a cat biting some poor shmuck on the street? Like never. How about for dogs? Like 80 billion times a week. Dogs suck and I hope they get eradicated from the face of the planet.

Moderator three wrote:

1) The sad thing is, I would actually believe it was true.

2) Spiky, leaves on the top, often houses yellow sponges with questionable fashion trends.

3) The only reason why you would want a dog is... wait, why would you want one? They just eat your food, demand constant attention and leave you nice little presents on the floor once in a while. Even more pointless than the duck billed platypus and by god is that saying something.

Moderator four wrote:

1) Ok, doc.

2) Those kind of apples that grow on pine trees.

3) I hate dogs because they meow. That is so lame.

For the record, I may or may not be one of the mods.

When you have the answer, please PM me them. I will then tally the results and see who is the most distinctive mod, etc

:)

I agree with your deduction; sometimes I fell like I can 'sense' the demeanor of the person typing. :p

I knew exactly who two of those mods were from my first time reading them through. Number two and three were confusing, though. I have a good guess on that one, though. Too bad I can't post my answers. :/

TO THE PM BOX!

Yes, I agree about the whole thing. You may have heard me talk about this in the past. I've never called it "accents", but have you ever heard me talk about "vibe" in posts? Yeah, that's the stuff.

For instance, back when Miles used to visit these forums, I knew pretty soon after reading some of his posts that he was over twenty years old. No, NOT by the words he used or the grammar he used, but by the WAY he used the words he used. I've always called it a "post vibe".

I don't know exactly what it is or how it works, but all that I do know is that I'm pretty good at reading people like books, and that includes their posts. Things like accurately determining their feelings, thoughts, and attitude whether they mentioned them in the posts or not.

What gave it away for me for some of them was the type of comment they posted, IE number one said soething stupid, and then used the :O smiley, which just gives it away, without saying who it is. ANother good one was number for, the use of ilogical answers combined with the word lame tell syou who wrote it.

The results so far are pretty hilarious. I'm going to wait for at least ten replies before I post the data though. Thanks to everyone who has helped out.

With mods 1 and 2, I feel the same way as Togeshroob does in that one read I thought I had the answer. However, mods 2 and 3 where a lot tougher. To me, there was no real distinctive style in those answers to link to a mod, and I went back and forth between several different mods before settling with an answer.
As for the theory of these accents, I do think many people have a unique style, which leaves their "accent". Many people have distinguishable ones, but some have "accents" that aren't very easy to find. Personally, I think these "accents" come from their writing style and sometimes recurring vocabulary that crops up in their writing, maybe with other recurring themes in their writing.
However, why do I think the results are going to contradict these ideas...

There are actually some further tests I want to carry out, just because it's interesting. But I guess it all hinges on how successful the first experiment is. :[

I have a good guess who one and two are, I'm lost on three and four. But why did you put "the reason why you hate dogs" as one of the topics? That is just wrong.:p

Ok, we have results! Thanks to everyone who helped out.

Here's the bit you are dieing to know; which mod was which? I can reveal that mod number one was Heavenly_Spoon, mod two was PMJ, mod three was me, and mod four was good ol' noobnerd.

So, how did you all do? Some were good, others were bad. But something very strange happened that I did not predict...

The first five results;

Spoon: 5 out of 5 correct
PMJ: 2 out of 5 correct
bacon: 5 out of 5 correct
Noobnerd: 5 out of 5 correct

For some reason, you guys simply couldn't identify PMJ, which is surprising in my eyes because me and PMJ have similar typing styles. As in, we aren't recognised by any particular smileys or words (Spoon used smileys a lot, noobnerd is famous for the word "lame"). Personally I can't really understand the reason, so I would like to hear about this from you.

And now the funny part. The last five results:

Spoon: 1 out of 5
PMJ: 1 out of 5
Bacon: 1 out of 5
Noobnerd: 0 out of 5 (lame)

What on earth happened here!? For some reason, the last five people simply could not identify accents at all (in fact, in theory if everyone just took random guesses it would average out to be higher than this). I know two of the people in the last five quite well on the forums, and the other three I have seen around a fair bit too, so we're not simply talking about totally new members here.

Hmm...

Well, I'll leave you all to ponder those results guys. :p

bacon said:
Ok, we have results! Thanks to everyone who helped out.

Here's the bit you are dieing to know; which mod was which? I can reveal that mod number one was Heavenly_Spoon, mod two was PMJ, mod three was me, and mod four was good ol' noobnerd.

So, how did you all do? Some were good, others were bad. But something very strange happened that I did not predict...

The first five results;

Spoon: 5 out of 5 correct
PMJ: 2 out of 5 correct
bacon: 5 out of 5 correct
Noobnerd: 5 out of 5 correct

For some reason, you guys simply couldn't identify PMJ, which is surprising in my eyes because me and PMJ have similar typing styles. As in, we aren't recognised by any particular smileys or words (Spoon used smileys a lot, noobnerd is famous for the word "lame"). Personally I can't really understand the reason, so I would like to hear about this from you.

And now the funny part. The last five results:

Spoon: 1 out of 5
PMJ: 1 out of 5
Bacon: 1 out of 5
Noobnerd: 0 out of 5 (lame)

What on earth happened here!? For some reason, the last five people simply could not identify accents at all (in fact, in theory if everyone just took random guesses it would average out to be higher than this). I know two of the people in the last five quite well on the forums, and the other three I have seen around a fair bit too, so we're not simply talking about totally new members here.

Hmm...

Well, I'll leave you all to ponder those results guys. :p

For one, C-M uses ":O" after every FREAKIN' POST. You, bacon, use, how should I post this, 'funny and goofy words to describe things. ;p The rest, psh, they don't matter. :[]

I thought PMJ was KG. Hes gonna kill me.

c-m was the most obvious one for me, the :O just gave it away, along with can I glue it back on.

A combination of lameness, sarcasm, and weirdness gave me nuymber four. Slightly more serious than the rest, yet still utterly stupid, gave me number threee. I htouhght it was only mdos not Super mods thouhgh, so the chances of me gettign PMJ right are 0.

Who thought PMJ was KG? To me, it doesn't really sound like KG. If I were you, I would have thought about bacon. I'm unable to make a difference between those two.

Yeah, most people put down KG as number two instead of PMJ. I can sort of see why but, again, I'm at a loss to explain how you guys all guessed no 3 was me.

Hmm, I might do an experiment similar to this but... like, better. There's another experiment I really want to do but it would be quite tricky to get results (as it requires you to write down what you are feeling at the time, so it's not exactly solid data).

After checking my list again, I noticed I got all but 3 correct. I so thought Amt was #4. >.> But the important thing is... I got PMJ right. :]

3000th POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back