The Energy Problem in Magnezone/Eelektrik

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamisclassy

Aspiring Trainer
96-magnezone.jpg

Magnezone has easily been one of the most popular heavy hitters since we rotated to HGSS on. The sheer force of Lost Burn has been a defining influence of our format. However, to say that Magnezone is without his flaws is far from the truth. While you can say that Magnezone has a high retreat and a bad weakness, these are not his issues that have been losing me games. Where I have been having trouble, if the title didn't give it away, is in the energy department, specifically in the late game.

The Deck I'd like to focus on is Magnezone/Eelektrik, partly because this is the deck I am currently trying to master and partly because other Magnezone based decks like Magnezone/Typhlosion and Yanmega/Magnezone feel, to me at least, like they have more versatile secondary attackers so you don't feel the need to start Lost Burning till the midgame. For me, this is not the case with Eelektrik/Magnezone. I feel that if I am not able take prizes early with a secondary attacker, I have no other choice than to start attacking with Magnezone and that by the mid-game The secondary attackers don't seem to be working for me. I only run 2 catcher and 3 junk arm because I feel the list for this deck is very tight so easy prizes do not always exist. Because of all this, I have found myself Burning and or being unable to retrieve all 14 of my energy (12{L} 2 Rescue)

One thing that is important is to address the secondary attackers I have considered.

97-thundurus.jpg

Thundurus was my first thought. He can get lightning out of the deck as well as get it into the discard. He is relatively fast, being able to hit for 80 on your second turn. The only problem is that if I dont get attacking with him early, I feel that damage output is too little and he isn't worth benching or attacking with.

98-tornadus.jpg

In this deck, Tornadus is a little slower than his brother. I didn't feel that running DCEs to speed him up would be worth it as they only count for 1 energy for lost burn and cannot be brought back from the discard with Dynamotor. My thinking with Tornadus was more that I would be able to take a hit or two from the likes of Donphan and other fighting pokemon. Even with Tornadus, Decks with Donphan or almost any fighting for that matter feel like a near auto-loss for this deck and I have come to think that maybe he isn't the best fit for the deck.

47-zekrom.jpg

The third option I have thought of, and the one that I have been too afraid to try is Zekrom. I like the damage output for the middle game, but I feel that having him stuck up there as your lead may be a problem in the early game. Additionally, I feel that once he has used bolt strike he is a fairly frail pokemon. My list feels tight already and I don't see how I could possibly fit in eviolite, even if it does make Zekrom that much better.

So how do I adress this problem. I'd like to post my list. I know that usually a thread with a list would get moved to the deck garage but I am hoping for this thread to have equal amounts of emphasis on both the list as well as the actual strategy involved in conserving energy in this deck. Thank you to all who participate!

Pokemon: 19
4-2-3 Magnezone Prime
3-3 Eelektrik (2/1 split of 40 HP to 30 HP)
2 Thundurus
1 Tornadus
1 Cleffa

Trainers: 27
4 Pokemon Collector
4 Sage's Training
3 N
2 Professor Oak's New Theory
4 Pokemon Communication
3 Rare Candy
3 Junk Arm
2 Pokemon Catcher
2 Switch

Energy: 14
12 Lightning
2 Rescue

Thunderus is a staple in this deck. It's nothing new. You basically have to run Thunderus, or it's a less than ideal list. Zekrom is another possibility if you're wanting a resource-light mid-game attacker, but I never really use it and I think most people are dropping it as well. Tornadus is an okay addition, but I'd rather add more Thunderus any day.

I'd try dropping the Rescue for more Lightning, since you can get those back with Eel. I've lost games just by getting a Rescue discarded.

If you can take two prizes with Thunderus (likely with Catcher), you should be fine with Magnezone the rest of the game. The average card requires a three-energy Lost Burn, so you can do that four times and still have two energy left in the deck/prizes. That's how I usually play games with it, although it obviously varies game to game.

When I saw the title, I thought this would be about how inefficient it is to have to get energy from Deck > Hand > Discard > Bench > Active > Lost Zone, when compared to a slower version like Magneboar which goes Deck > Hand > In Play > Lost Zone and removes two steps in exchange for one more evolution.

Your list is very similar to mine, except that I use less draw supporters in exchange for more Junk Arm, Candy, and Magnezone.

So if Tornadus is worth dropping, does this deck take the autoloss to donphan variants? Additionally, how much has a 4th Magnezone helped consistency? Also which draw supporters would you take out?

I'm running this deck now I think you should throw in a super rod and take out the rescue energys. I'm going to test out pachi in this deck since it gives magnezone more energy to lost burn. But yeah 3 magnezone seems to be enough especially with super rod.

I guess one thing I haven't asked people is what is the magic number for energy? In my testing 14 has been it.

wow, i'm using 14 too...

i play this deck strangely and probably not the most effective way. I try to take only the last two prizes with magnezone and rely on speedy basics to take the first four.

I tried this deck out at cities today and did pretty bad. I went 2-3 and lost to 2 Chandy decks one with vile plume and a durant deck.

I actually use 15 energy. I have little to no energy problems. I usually take 2 prizes with Thundurus and then bring in Magnezone, Catchering benched basics that only take 1 energy to KO with Lost Burn. If I don't get the catcher on average I Lost Burn 3-4 energy, but I most always have a Catcher or a Junk Arm to get it. (I run 3 Catcher and 4 Junk Arm)

Kkillax said:
I tried this deck out at cities today and did pretty bad. I went 2-3 and lost to 2 Chandy decks one with vile plume and a durant deck.

Wow. Hmm, maybe you should include Zekrom for consistant high damage.

EonEye99 said:
Wow. Hmm, maybe you should include Zekrom for consistant high damage.

Yeah i just made some modifications to it and played tyram and it seems to run better I upped the zekrom and thunderous to 2 each and cut down 1 magnezone line and made it a lil more like a zekeel early game and use magnezone at the end

I've had the same problem. I'm playing a very early-game-centric build. I play 12 energy and don't have energy problems. I have 3 Thundurus, 1 Tornadus, and 1 Zekrom. I try to take 3 prizes with these dudes when possible. Just be sparing when you Magnezone and you should be fine. I'd also recommend you play the fourth junk arm and a third catcher. These two changes will give you more chances to not hit the active. When you get to take your pick from pokemon to KO, you'll have more options that don't require lost burning. Having more non-magnezone attackers will do the same thing. Give that a try and LMK how it works ;D

In my Eelzone deck I run 13 energy. I run 2-2-1 Zekrom Thunderus tornadus, and I end up taking the first 2-3 prizes with Zekrom/Thunderus. By doing this I can save my energies to hit heavy with zone to take the last prizes. I may make some changes but my deck placed 1st in my last cities, so I think it is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back