Blog The Elusive Shaymin-EX in the PTCGO

An easy way to avoid waiting a week to playtest your deck in the PTCGO: Use TCGOne.

Typical going rate for your average Shaymin-EX is roughly 18 Roaring Skies packs online, but Roaring Skies is relatively hard to come buy. If you're paying in terms of the new pack (Fates Collide), you're looking at around 26 for the RA Shaymin-EX. If you're trying to get the Shaymins early, it's best to jump in during release week for a new set, where the prices are at their most unstable. Battling in the always-available tournaments is also a good way to earn tradeable packs, and there are plenty of decks you can make without having to use Shaymin-EX such as any Fighting deck in general or stall decks such as Sableye/Garbodor or Wailord/Suicune.

I have 5 LOCKED Shaymin-EX in my PTCGO account that I wish I could trade...I never use the card (too over-saturated for my tastes).

I just flat out don't run it. In my opinion it's great but a lot of my wins tend to come from me abusing their helpless shaymins and getting those extra prizes.

I have 5 LOCKED Shaymin-EX in my PTCGO account that I wish I could trade...I never use the card (too over-saturated for my tastes).
I beg to differ that shaymin is over saturated. Any GOOD deck runs shaymin. I dot know what kind of people you battle agaist, but all the good decks I play run shaymin. Its too good of a card to get set up with. I could only ever see not using it would be if your deck really dosent need it, like Lucario "fight alone".

I just traded one for an arm and a leg. About 9-10 FA Ex's, a few packs and got a FA Shaymin-EX. I definitely overpaid for it

I grinded for weeks on PTCGO, getting coins to open Roaring Skies packs before I got my first one. I got a second a short while later just randomly. Solid advice in this article, and good tips for newbies.

An easy way to avoid waiting a week to playtest your deck in the PTCGO: Use TCGOne.

TCG one is good, but unfortunately, a few of the newer cards are glitched right now. There's this bug that says you don't have enough energy to use an attack even when you clearly do. Very annoying. Hope it gets fixed soon.

I haven't played PTCGO in years (stupid firewall), but making Shaymin EX so hard to get is a real scumbag move.

I beg to differ that shaymin is over saturated. Any GOOD deck runs shaymin. I dot know what kind of people you battle agaist, but all the good decks I play run shaymin. Its too good of a card to get set up with. I could only ever see not using it would be if your deck really dosent need it, like Lucario "fight alone".
I use octillery for my draw. I like it more than shaymin and I have no issue winning

Bought like 60 Roaring Skies packs using Coins and got 1 Shaymin-Ex from it...

That's still pretty good. I mean, there is ~1 ultra rare in six packs and 22 ultra rates in the set...

Greninja Break says hi.

I currently have two Shaymin EX on my PTCGO and am looking for a third. This seems like really helpful stuff, thanks for the guide.

Three things.

First, the article seems solid. I recommend not focusing on just buying ROS packs with coins though; save your coins for periodic good deals in the online shop. Remember the better your card pool, the better your decks can be and the easier it will be to earn more in game rewards. If they have a good bundle and you get Card X (which is not Shaymin-EX) that you can put to good use in a deck, then you won't have to trade for Card X and those resources can go towards something else (like Shaymin-EX). If you have something that is not trade locked and then get a spare copy that is, you can always trade the original for packs (unless there is no demand demand for it XD).

I also recommend checking out the official PTCGO forums for the "In Game Item Exchange" subforum. Log in information is the same as for the PTCGO (I think if you've got one for the main Pokemon.com site that is also the same). You'll find trading groups that list their asking prices for cards; Public Trade Offers should be less than the trading groups' prices or else it is a bad deal. It also allows you to post trades without the same specifications as in the PTCGO. You still have to go to the PTCGO to make/acccept a Private Trade offer to finish things off, but this way you can ask for offers on a card instead of having to set a specific "Trade X for Y".

I am guessing that if people are using the PTCGO, it is for a reason. I use it because it is official; I could cut myself some slack when I was still buying the physical cards for the game, as the unofficial programs were just to make it easier to enjoy my cards since it was easier to play online that way than in chat (especially as that usually meant the honor system). Using cards I didn't have to test them out wasn't so bad; I'd just be proxying them if I restricted myself to physical cards and chat. Since I can't (and probably wouldn't if I could) bother with the physical TCG, the PTCGO is me using the intellectual property of the-powers-that-be in an approved capacity (in addition to using actual services they provide).

Other posters have given other reasons, but that is mine. ;)

I haven't played PTCGO in years (stupid firewall), but making Shaymin EX so hard to get is a real scumbag move.

The online Shaymin-EX are way easier to get than in real life. I've got four Shaymin-EX (ROS) on the PTCGO. One is a FA version I pulled from a pack, the other three are regular versions obtained by trade. I have no Shaymin-EX in real life because I can't afford to play the real TCG. I've spent no money on the PTCGO, just learned how to grind and how to trade somewhat decently.

It is more difficult now, but that is just supply and demand. Sometimes a card is less or more rare than in real life, but Shaymin-EX doesn't seem to be one of them. Now if you mean that it is bad that a card that was so obviously powerful didn't get a tin release or similar way of more easily being obtained, in either real life or the PTCGO, oh hey we agree. ;)

I really liked this article. I think the best way to get cards is to just be in the game for the long haul. Pokemon is not one of those games where you can't conquer it in a mere 80 hours. It is one of those game where you invest yourself. The longer you are invested in it, the more the cards you accumulate. Eventually, whatever you need will fall in way or another.

Honestly the game gets cheaper the longer you play it.

I have 6 Shaymins EX hard cards and 4 Online cards. I just traded two Shyamin EX online cards. All those Shaymins EX came from just being in the community, playing, trading and buying over the last couple of years. The longer you stay in the game, the more the game opens up. Though, now, I do miss the slower games before Shaymin EX, and without Siesmitoad. The games were less about first turns and more about pokemon setup. Though there was a lot more dead draws, I really thought it balanced the supporter game.

Trainers always came up with interesting supporter lists.

Last edited:
I might be "the scum" of PTCGO, but I was able to gradually make my way up in card value by trading 1 LTR Shaymin EX for 2 Magnezone EX, and then trade each Magnezone for another LTR Shaymin EX (infinite cards). Then I would trade those cards gradually for slightly higher value cards and amass a fortune. ;)

I might be "the scum" of PTCGO, but I was able to gradually make my way up in card value by trading 1 LTR Shaymin EX for 2 Magnezone EX, and then trade each Magnezone for another LTR Shaymin EX (infinite cards). Then I would trade those cards gradually for slightly higher value cards and amass a fortune. ;)

Not at all, that's called playing the game smart! Everyday I long on and look for easy to get booster packs. Its amazing how many people offer +1 packs for things from HGSS or other sets. Trade away those cards you don't use and get packs.

Not at all, that's called playing the game smart! Everyday I long on and look for easy to get booster packs. Its amazing how many people offer +1 packs for things from HGSS or other sets. Trade away those cards you don't use and get packs.

Since crystal_pidgeot commented on it, I'll ask: TheUltimateAbsol are you just looking for good trades or are you taking advantage of new players that don't know the value of cards or are getting mixed up about which Shaymin-EX it is for which they are trading?

If you are just taking advantage of people trading a little below the going rate because they want to easily unload their cards (after all, prices can rise or fall so quickly) and those trading a little above because they just want to get the card and get it fast, then it is something I would commend. Especially if you are still beating the prices offered by the various trading groups.

Back