The Dr. E show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeric

That's Right
Welcome to the first full-length edition of the Dr. E show. One of the most hard-hitting, controversial….(and only) shows on Pokebeach to date. Todays topic is "Do you think Pokemon is taking us for our money?" Since this is the first full-length show let me explain how things work. We will be having a special guest today, who will be asked hard-hitting questions about the TCG. We will ask that other people refrain from posting during the show. Near the end of the show we will have the special guest answering calls from our viewers. If you would like to make a call simply type *ring* when we start to take calls. So, without further ado, lets introduce our special guest. Lets have a nice warm welcome for Jigglypuff. So Jigglypuff, you there?

Ah England, sounds nice :D. Anyways like you saw, todays topic is "Do you think Pokemon is taking us for our money?"...So do you. I mean do you think that they are charging to much for 10 little pieces of paper? And also, one of my main things is that why do they "rotate" sets...I mean the rules don’t change. They are just making newer sets, faster than ever, and making you continually buy new cards. Doesn’t that bother you?
Jiggly you there?

My answer to the main question is yes, of course they are. 10 (or, as it used to be, 9 or 11) pieces of card are not worth the money we are buying them for. However, it is what the cards do and what they help us do that allow Nintendo to get away with charging these ridiculous prices (e.g. DP over here are being sold for £3 (~$6)), so the cards end up seeming as though they are worth more in our eyes.
The rotation of sets is one of the things that does bother me in this current environment as it makes you think is it worth spending money on these cards when you know that, in a year or, if you're lucky, 2's time, you won't be able to use them anymore apart from in Unlimited and Casual play. I can see why they do that. To make more money. However, people playing Pokémon cards may not always have the resources available to buy every new card that comes out, so end up losing out, and, in my opinion, the game starts to become a game of who gets lucky with their packs, or has the most money to spend on cards rather than the game of skill it should be.
As for sets being produced more quickly, it doesn't bother me. While it means we have less time to buy packs from the "latest" set, it does mean more creativity comes into the game quicker, making players adapt to the changing metagame quicker, and generally, sorts the skilled players from the worse ones.

I have been playing it ever since Base set was released, so that's probably about 8 years now, give or take a year.

during the Pre-EX series about how often did you buy packs, and about how many did you buy at a time?

I can't really remember to be honest. At a guess, it would have been at around 1 or 2 a week, possibly more, but I can't really remember as I've already said.
I do remember, however, that during the E-card series, I didn't buy that many packs (maybe about 1 or 2 every 2 weeks instead).

now that the EX series and DP series came out would you say that you are buying more cards than before?

On average, no. I still buy 1 or 2 packs a week normally. Sometimes, I may buy a few more packs, a tin or a theme deck or something, but it's generally the same as before.

ah, that’s good. I would have to say that on average that I am buying more packs. Before I would buy about 2 packs at a time, but now with the EX/DP packs I am buying about 5 packs at a time. But its not just the fact that they are rotating sets. Its also the competitiveness level at the tournys. How much would you say that affects you when building a deck, buying packs, ect.?

Of course, competition should make you want to build the strongest deck you can, so a powerful, consistent deck is always the most important thing for me while building a deck. It doesn't effect how many or what packs I buy though.

ok. Now lets talk about the Pros to Pokemon card tournys. I think its nice that the tournys are free but do you think that is enough to make up for the money it cost to build a deck and keep tweaking it to fit the format?

The free tournys (note, over here, you have to pay to enter some) don't make up enough of the money used to build your deck. Sure, you get packs for winning/getting in the top cut, and you get a nice day, playing Pokémon cards with people you know (for Cities/Battle Roads/States even) or meeting new people (Nationals/Worlds), but it doesn't make up for the fact that you have just spent a lot of money to get a certain card to make your deck perfect, only for you to only competitively use it at one or two events. The value of the prizes may, but that's only if you have a good day.

Well, sorry I had to go before. It was nice having you on the show, take care. Im Dr. E saying "good night!"

Discussing something is fine, but holding a dialogue with short nonsense sentences like some talk show isn't, next time try to allow discussions in a more convenient way and with more than 2 people, thank you.

*locky*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back