Article The Chopping Block: Cards We Lose In XY-On!

I'm going to miss Ether. :( That card won me a handful of League Challenges and two City Championships over the past 2 years.

I will definiely miss Superior Energy Retrieval, and I also have no idea how I'll keep my water deck going without my Keldeos bouncing in and out and rescuing my Wailord back to the bench before a KO. Clawitzer, Huntail, Raichu, and Dedenne need sempai!

Nice recap - I am glad to see (looking forward to) the rotation; it keeps things fresh and, at least temporarily, shakes up some hackneyed card sets. I will also add a couple of other cards I see used fairly often outside of competitive play - Crushing Hammer and Rocky Helmet (and Rock Wall).

There's quite a few of cards I'll miss, but there's plenty more cards I'm happy to see go.

As I am every year, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone adjust to the big changes. The first couple months after a rotation always seem to spark a lot of creativity in the community.

Eh, I'll still probably try to collect some cards from the BW era (and if I somehow manage to get 200 dollars and less priorities, the Shiny eon duo from the Deoxys set). However I will miss the chance to play a Meloetta-based deck...

At least there's still Unlimited and the Theme challenges

Other cards that are possibly particularly noteworthy (though not necessarily article-worthy)

Boundaries Crossed: Celebi EX, Stoutland (hey, it was a thing for a little while), Town Map (potentially list-worthy), Altaria
Plasma Storm: Beartic (it was never meta, but eh), Magnezone (never became a thing, but still noteworthy IMO), Tool Drop Trubbish (though Lysandre's Trump Card being banned stopped this from even attempting a comeback), Black Kyurem EX, Scramble Switch (potentially list-worthy)
Plasma Freeze: Electrode (though I guess Shaymin kind of killed its niche), Kecleon, Ghetsis, Max Potion (probably list-worthy)
Plasma Blast: Froslass (was starting to see a little hype), Silver Bangle (potentially list-worthy), Scoop Up Cyclone (probably list-worthy)
Legendary Treasures: Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem (possibly list-worthy), Terrakion (potentially list-worthy), Chandelure-EX/Moltres/White Kyurem-EX (not at all noteworthy cards, excepting maybe Chandelure-EX, but they are the most recent cards that can inflict Burn, so when they go, Burn will go extinct in Standard)

Promos: Drifblim (not that it's done a whole lot lately), Ninetales (been seeing some play due to the other one)

Nice recap - I am glad to see (looking forward to) the rotation; it keeps things fresh and, at least temporarily, shakes up some hackneyed card sets. I will also add a couple of other cards I see used fairly often outside of competitive play - Crushing Hammer and Rocky Helmet (and Rock Wall).
Hammer may still be in the format depending on if the XY starter sets are in the XY-on rotation, as they have hammers

Chandelure-EX/Moltres/White Kyurem-EX (not at all noteworthy cards, excepting maybe Chandelure-EX, but they are the most recent cards that can inflict Burn, so when they go, Burn will go extinct in Standard)

Maybe this is part of a plan to phase out Burn as a mechanic?

I think the biggest loss here is Computer Search. Mew-EX and HTL being rotated out will be a game changer as there's quite a few decks that rely on them. Personally, I'm going to miss Mewtwo EX and his shenanigans. I have a feeling the next Mewtwo EX will be lackluster. Here's to hoping his megas are good.

The funny thing is that I never had Computer Search. I ran a Plasma deck with alternating ACE SPEC cards for whatever opponent I'd face (Rock Shield, Gold Potion, Scramble Switch and Master Ball were my alts) , and said deck won around 90% of games I played with it. I should post a deck list of it before it's rotated out, just to see what people think of it.

Great article there mate. You forgot about the safeguard Pokemon and the Garbodor from Dragons Exalted, but I think we all know how they impacted the format. I will be missing Computer search and laser banks, that's for sure.

Not sure if Ariodos will compensate for Lasers yet though. it's too early to say for sure, without proper playtesting in an X/Y on format

Surprised no one mentioned it, but you forgot Garbodor.
Great article there mate. You forgot about the safeguard Pokemon and the Garbodor from Dragons Exalted, but I think we all know how they impacted the format. I will be missing Computer search and laser banks, that's for sure.

Not sure if Ariodos will compensate for Lasers yet though. it's too early to say for sure, without proper playtesting in an X/Y on format

I didn't forget Garbodor. Its under the Legendary Treasures section :)

Overall a good read but I've a more "technical" question for you, @Kenneth Ecker :

Was organizing by "set" the best approach? At a glance it seems like the obvious choice, but kind of like how N survived rotation via a promo last time, reprints abound for many cards. As you encountered in your own article, quite a few cards are interrelated, so I can see why just doing a straight up "Type" breakdown would have had issues as well, but a more... topical approach could have been interesting. Perhaps even as a series of articles.

Yeah since I'm perpetually behind on writing I'm probably not going to write such a thing, but at the very least you might do it again next year, and I'm curious as to your thoughts otherwise. ;)

Overall a good read but I've a more "technical" question for you, @Kenneth Ecker :

Was organizing by "set" the best approach? At a glance it seems like the obvious choice, but kind of like how N survived rotation via a promo last time, reprints abound for many cards. As you encountered in your own article, quite a few cards are interrelated, so I can see why just doing a straight up "Type" breakdown would have had issues as well, but a more... topical approach could have been interesting. Perhaps even as a series of articles.

Yeah since I'm perpetually behind on writing I'm probably not going to write such a thing, but at the very least you might do it again next year, and I'm curious as to your thoughts otherwise. ;)

I believe it was. With so many different cards to cover in the article, going by set kept me on track while writing as opposed to cherry picking random cards that would rotate. Also, I might be doing a part two to this article. One that talks about the format post-rotation, and how specific cards get better/worse in XY-On. :)

I'll miss Mew EX since that was a very fun card to use with not only Night March but any deck that could find space for it due to Versatile allowing for quite a few interesting options, especially with Dimension Valley. Other than that I can't say I'll miss a lot of these, especially Hypnotoxic Laser.

Back