Finished The Challenge VIII - The Diamond Isles - Game Over! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CHALLENGE 15 - A Long Journey's End - Start
I told you guys it wouldn't be more than a month so it was exactly that.

How will you become the strongest sailor in the sea? By turning to being a pirate, in this custom version of my all-time favorite classic board game: Careers.

For those not accustomed with how Careers works, read this:
At the very beginning of the game, players commit to how they want to win the game by writing a Victory Formula, composed of Happiness, Fame, and Money (in 1,000 increments). You can choose any combination of them, as long as they add up to 60, and not all three are as easy to get. Once you get as many of each category as is in your Victory Formula, you win the game. It's that simple.

To get these, you travel around the board, rolling two six sided dice and doing whatever the space you land on says. This is pretty boring until you land on a space marked with "May Enter". From there, if you meet a requirement, you can enter that track, rolling only one die but getting good rewards. Some of these tracks are, of course, better than others. Once you complete it, you get an Experience card (more details on that later) and continue on with the board. There's also College, which his it's own benefits and lets you get into a track of your choosing for free the rest of the game, but nobody can choose the same free track in one game.

There are two special cards you can pick up on the board: Opportunity Knocks and Experience. If you're on the outside track, you can use an Opportunity Knocks card to go to the place it specifies, passing Pay Day if applicable. Opportunity Knocks cards can by traded with your opponents, either for money or for other Opportunity Knocks cards. Experience cards allow you to move the exact number of spaces they specify.

You can never get to negative Fame or Happiness; it will just stay at 0 if it ever would drop that low. If you go to negative Money, you will restart from the beginning, except you will keep your degree and all experience (the actual experience, not the cards) that you acquired.

The rest is just rolling, going into the right tracks, doing what the spaces you land on say, and playing your victory formula right.

And here are the changes I've made for this. Be sure to read these:
Instead of helping with one location, the equivalent of College, Training, gives you free access to two tracks. To beat the final challenge, however, you must make it through training and successfully go through each of those tracks along with fulfilling your Victory Formula.
In addition, to make it into any track, you must complete a mini-challenge made by myself in addition to the normal requirements. If you find it too hard, you may inform me that you wish to no longer try to make it into the track.

Instead of dollars being in thousands, they are now in hundreds.
Fame has changed its name to Notoriety and Money to Treasure.

Finally, landing on the same space as someone else does nothing, because handling that with simultaneous actions is a pain.

You will have 4 days from this post to make your Victory Formula and ask questions. Then, every day, I will roll the dice and move your character on the board (I'll show you where it is at all times). If you ever have a decision to make, you have 24 hours to make it or I'll keep moving your character. The exception to this are the tracks, where you have as much time as you want without rolling to complete the mini-challenge (though you still must inform me of your intent to try to move into it or I'll keep rolling).
I will keep track of everything you have at all times.

What is Blakers's advantage? For one of the tracks, he can choose to skip the mini-challenge. In addition, his victory formula only needs to have 55 points to allow him to win.
And what is Drac's disadvantage? He will have one randomly selected Training he must get to win the game, chosen after he picks the victory formula. If someone else chooses that Training before he can get to it, he will be eliminated.

In the case people win on the same day, the order of victory will be Lorde, then Blakers, than Drac.

Here's the four sections of the board. They may be hard to see, but when zoomed in, all spaces can easily be viewed. Part 4 is not finished, and as such, I'm just showing you the original one (but all will be the same except money divided by 10 and Sports and Entertainment will be part of Combat Training). When I finish it, I'll quickly edit it in here. Same goes for the full board of all sections combined.
Pirate 1 copy.jpg
Pirate 2 copy.jpg
Pirate 3 copy.jpg
Pirate 4.jpg

Good Luck!

Last edited:
So the gist of the game is pick a stat spread we need to win, such as 15 Fame, 22 Happiness, and 23 Money, and go around increasing those stats?

So the gist of the game is pick a stat spread we need to win, such as 15 Fame, 22 Happiness, and 23 Money, and go around increasing those stats?
Yeah, that's the core of it. Of course, in this version, you must complete the two sections of your training in addition to doing that.
And for you, it would be less than 15-23-22, since you only need to get to 55 points due to your advantage.

Challenge Start:
To start, everyone gets 100 and a Patronage of 100 (I'd use a dollar sign but putting a dollar sign in front of a 1 doesn't work here fsr). Drac has also been informed of which Training he needs to get.

@Lord o da rings rolls a 6. She lands on Servants. Would you like to spend 100 treasure on a servant or lose your non-existent one happiness?
@Blakers rolls a 4. He lands on Looting. You have now been sent the mini-challenge. Would you like to attempt to go into Looting (which costs 100 treasure after you complete the mini-challenge)?
@GM DracLord rolls a 6. He lands on Servants. Would you like to spend 100 treasure on a servant or lose your non-existent one happiness?

(All of these questions should be answered via PM. Also, fyi, all spaces say what they do on them, so viewing the gameboard is how you can tell exactly what something like buying a servant does.)

Current positions on the board:
Pirate 2 current.jpg

Current player cards (more detailed version will be in your PMs):
Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 100 Happiness: 0
Patronage: 100
Opportunity Knocks cards: 0 Experience cards: 0
Experience: None
Training: None

Mini-challenge skip still available.

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Monday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing.

P.S. I added a couple more details to the changes for this version and one point of clarification. Here they are:

Fame has changed its name to Notoriety and Money to Treasure.
Landing on the same space as someone else does nothing, because handling that with simultaneous actions is a pain.

You can never get to negative Notoriety or Happiness; it will just stay at 0 if it ever would drop that low. If you go to negative Treasure, you will restart from the beginning, except you will keep all Training and Experience (the actual experience, not the cards) that you acquired.

Last edited:
Turn 2:

@Lord o da rings decided not to buy a servant. She rolls a 4. She lands on Traitor, causing her to lose 25 treasure!
@Blakers successfully completed the mini-challenge and moves into Looting! He rolls a 1. He steals an endangered plant and gains 2 Happiness!
@GM DracLord decided not to buy a servant. He rolls a 7. He lands on Hobby, but can not afford to buy any race ships.

Pirate 2 current.jpg
Pirate 3 current.jpg

Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 75 Happiness: 0
Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 0 Happiness: 2

If you had no change this round, you will not receive an updated player card in your PM.

There may be no decisions this round, but I still want to know something from you guys. If something like this happens again where nobody can make a decision, do you want me to just roll for the next round or do you still want to wait the full day?

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Tuesday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
Turn 3:

@Lord o da rings rolls a 7. She lands on Opportunity Knocks, and will be informed of the card she received. Other players, you don't know what it is, but you can try to find out and make a deal with her for it! She can also decide to use it at any time, of course.
@Blakers rolls a 3. For sacking a city in the fastest ever time, he earns 100 treasure times a die roll. He rolled a 5, giving him 500 treasure!
@GM DracLord rolls a 6. He lands on Navigation, but cannot enter it due to not having enough treasure.

Pirate 2 current.jpg

Pirate 3 current.jpg

Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 75 Happiness: 0
Opportunity Knocks cards: 1 Experience cards: 0
Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 500 Happiness: 2

For deals with Opportunity Knocks, both players must tell me the trade they'd like to make, including the contents of the Opportunity Knocks they wish to give and/or receive. This is to stop people from lying about a deal.

Since an Opportunity Knocks card is in play, we will still have this be an entire day.

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Wednesday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
Turn 4:

@Lord o da rings uses her Opportunity Knocks card for Discovery. She passes Pay Day along the way, gaining her patronage of 100 treasure! You have now been sent the mini-challenge.
@Blakers rolls a 2. For robbing a city to its own doom, he earns 6 Happiness!
@GM DracLord rolls a 8. He lands on Swashbuckling, but cannot enter it due to not having enough treasure.

Pirate 2 current.jpg

Pirate 4 current.jpg

Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 175 Happiness: 0
Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 500 Happiness: 8

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Thursday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
Turn 5:

@Lord o da rings failed the mini-challenge and remains at Discovery.
@Blakers rolls a 1. For publishing a very successful volume about looting cities, he earns 500 treasure!
@GM DracLord rolls a 7. He passes Pay Day, but then lands on Rowdy Subjects, who has has to calm down by paying 10% of his treasure.

Pirate 1 current.jpg

Pirate 2 current.jpg

Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 1000 Happiness: 8

Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 190 Happiness: 0

I'm gonna introduce a new rule because I just realized I forgot it. In the real game, if you use Opportunity Knocks, you must meet the requirements and enter that track (i.e. you can't use it for transportation). I'm gonna do a version of that and say that you must meet the requirements and attempt the Mini-Challenge for at least three days before you can eventually give up. Because Lorde had no idea about it, I'm gonna cut her some slack and say that she only has to attempt it at least twice.

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Friday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
Turn 6:

@Lord o da rings failed the mini-challenge again and remains at Discovery.
@Blakers rolls a 3. He completes Looting, gaining that experience. He then lands on Opportunity Knocks card, and will be informed of the card he received.
@GM DracLord rolls a 10. He then lands on Opportunity Knocks and will be informed of the card he received.

Pirate 2 current.jpg

Pirate 3 current.jpg

Opportunity Knocks cards: 1 Experience cards: 1
Experience: Looting

Opportunity Knocks cards: 1 Experience cards: 0

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Saturday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
Turn 7:

@Blakers rolls a 9. He lands on Mentoring and has been sent the mini-challenge. Would you like to attempt it?
@GM DracLord uses his Opportunity Knocks card for Looting and has now been sent the mini-challenge. (I may have been confused on this, and if so, correct me and I'll move you back to the right spot.)

Pirate 2 current.jpg

Pirate 3 current.jpg

I made a slight mistake on Blakers's treasure quantity because I didn't make him pay for Looting. This has now been corrected.

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Sunday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
So sorry, time got the best of me. Luckily, it shouldn't effect anything this time.
Turn 8:

@Blakers successfully completed the mini-challenge and rolls a 3. Since his mentoree was named Most Promising, he gets two Opportunity Knocks cards, and will be informed of the cards he received.
@GM DracLord successfully completed the mini-challenge and rolls a 5. For capturing a rock musician as a form of patronage, he earns 2 notoriety and 4 happiness!

Pirate 2 current.jpg

Pirate 3 current.jpg

Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 990 Happiness: 8
Opportunity Knocks cards: 3 Experience cards: 1

Notoriety: 2 Treasure: 90 Happiness: 4

I also realized I made another mistake by not giving Blakers his Experience Card. This has also now been corrected. In the future, if you think I messed up, please alert me because it's likely I did.

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Monday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
Turn 9:

@Lord o da rings finally completed the mini-challenge! She rolls a 5. Since she stole money from Eskimos, she gained 200 treasure!
@Blakers rolls a 4. Since his student killed their first victim, he gains 6 Happiness!
@GM DracLord rolls a 3. By stealing funds from the Girl Scouts, he gained 2 Happiness!

Pirate 2 current.jpg

Pirate 3 current.jpg

Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 325 Happiness: 0
Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 990 Happiness: 14

Notoriety: 2 Treasure: 90 Happiness: 6

Turn 10:

@Lord o da rings rolls a 1. Since the new land she found had a village, her patronage increased by 200 treasure!
@Blakers rolls a 5. He collects experience, lands on Navigation, and will be sent the mini-challenge.
@GM DracLord rolls a 1. He got looted by his own target and lost half (45) of his treasure.

Pirate 2 current.jpg

Pirate 3 current.jpg

Patronage: 300
Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 990 Happiness: 14
Opportunity Knocks cards: 3 Experience cards: 2
Experience: Looting, Mentoring

Notoriety: 2 Treasure: 45 Happiness: 6

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Tuesday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
Turn 11:

@Lord o da rings rolls a 6. She collects experience, lands on Opportunity Knocks, and will be informed of the card she received.
@Blakers successfully completed the mini-challenge and rolls a 3. Because a newspaper reported on his journey, he gained 4 Notoriety!
@GM DracLord rolls a 1. He collects experience, lands on Opportunity Knocks, and will be informed of the card he received.

Experience: Discovery
Notoriety: 4 Treasure: 690 Happiness: 14
Opportunity Knocks cards: 3 Experience cards: 2

Experience Card Clarification: An Experience card must be used before I roll the die to see how far you go. The numbers range from 1-6, so you likely will not go as far as you otherwise would, but can land on one specific space. If you wish to use it assuming you solve an mini-challenge, please still inform me of such (if you fail, it won't be used up and you still won't move).

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Wednesday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
Turn 12:

@Lord o da rings rolls a 4. She lands on Shipwreck. You can either keep rolling until you get a 7, 11, or doubles (if you do get that roll, you will get that as your first movement) or pay half your treasure.
@Blakers rolls a 2. Because he sailed through jagged rocks, he gained 2 Experience cards!
@GM DracLord rolls a 4. He lands on Opportunity Knocks, and will be informed of the card he received.

Pirate 2 current.jpg

Pirate 3 current.jpg

Pirate 4 current.jpg

Notoriety: 4 Treasure: 690 Happiness: 14
Opportunity Knocks cards: 3 Experience cards: 4

Opportunity Knocks cards: 2 Experience cards: 1

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Thursday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
Turn 13:

@Lord o da rings pays half her treasure to get out and rolls a 4. She lands on Opportunity Knocks and will be informed of the card she received.
@Blakers uses his Experience card to roll a 4. He sells a navigation guide to vulnerable locations, earning 500 treasure and 4 Notoriety!
@GM DracLord rolls a 8. He lands on Opportunity Knocks, and will be informed of the card he received.

Pirate 3 current.jpg

Pirate 4 current.jpg

Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 162 Happiness: 0
Opportunity Knocks cards: 2 Experience cards: 1
Notoriety: 8 Treasure: 1190 Happiness: 14
Opportunity Knocks cards: 3 Experience cards: 3

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Friday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
Turn 14:

@Lord o da rings rolls a 8. She lands on Opportunity Knocks and will be informed of the card she received.
@Blakers rolls a 2. He navigates through a field of enemy ships, gaining him 12 Notoriety!
@GM DracLord rolls a 10. He lands on Swashbuckling, but cannot enter it due to not having enough treasure.

Pirate 1 current.jpg

Pirate 4 current.jpg

Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 162 Happiness: 0
Notoriety: 20 Treasure: 1190 Happiness: 14
Opportunity Knocks cards: 3 Experience cards: 3

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Saturday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

As you guys may or may not know, I'm really sick. I'll try to push out updates but I'm more prone to mistakes than ever so please feel free to correct me.
Turn 15:

@Lord o da rings rolls a 7. She passes Pay Day, and then lands on Opportunity Knocks and will be informed of the card she received.
@Blakers rolls a 3. He gets experience, lands on Naval Combat, and will be sent the mini-challenge.
@GM DracLord rolls a 5. He lands on Pay Day, earning him double his patronage (200 treasure)!

Pirate 1 current.jpg

Pirate 4 current.jpg

Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 462 Happiness: 0
Opportunity Knocks cards: 4 Experience cards: 1
Notoriety: 20 Treasure: 1190 Happiness: 14
Experience: Looting, Mentoring, Navigation

Notoriety: 2 Treasure: 245 Happiness: 6

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Sunday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
Turn 16:

@Lord o da rings rolls a 11. She lands on Mentoring and will be sent the mini-challenge.
@Blakers successfully completed the mini-challenge and rolls a 4. For sinking Her Majesty's personal ship, he gains 2 Happiness and 6 Notoriety!
@GM DracLord rolls a 8. He lands on Infirmary. You can either keep rolling until you get a 5 or less (if you do get that roll, you will get that as your first movement) or pay half your patronage (50 treasure in your case) and keep going.

Pirate 2 current.jpg

Pirate 3 current.jpg

Pirate 4 current.jpg

Notoriety: 0 Treasure: 462 Happiness: 0
Opportunity Knocks cards: 4 Experience cards: 1
Notoriety: 26 Treasure: 1090 Happiness: 16
Experience: Looting, Mentoring, Navigation

Notoriety: 2 Treasure: 245 Happiness: 6

I have the flu; still quite likely to mess up so once again please feel free to correct any mistakes you may see.

You have 24 hours, or until 6:00 PM EST on Monday to submit what you want to do/attempt to solve the entrance challenge. Please still submit to me if you want to do nothing. If nothing is submitted to me, I will take it as you wanting to do nothing. If you have no options for what you can do, you don't need to submit anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back