Finished The Challenge: Season 7 - And the Winner is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the deadline for Round 1 has now been reached! :D I'm just about to go do some shopping, so I'll post up the results and Round later this afternoon after I get back.

IQgCPog.png

Jabber, Mathas, and Naxi quickly got to work chatting up everyone within site, trying to secure sponsors. Some spectators easily offered up a spectatorship to the first offer, others shrewdly pitted the challengers against each other, trying to get the most value for their vote. In the end, all three managed to secure a large number of spectators and were thoroughly tired out by the time the deadline was reached. However, when everything was tallied up, it was Naxi who managed to pull off the largest number of sponsors by far, with Jabber far behind in second place and Mathas trailing in third.

"How did you manage to get that many sponsors?!" Mathas asked.

"Oh, just lucky I guess," Naxi replied with an embarrassed grin.

The next day, they appeared before Queen Athena in the throne room once again. Although the atmosphere of the castle wasn't quite as chaotic as it had been before, the throne room itself was full of nobles and dignitaries once again. A small but boisterous group of cat person ambassadors in the corner was waving a banner with Naxi's name and face on it. "I guess that explains that," Jabber grumbled to himself, wondering how many pockets the cat people delegation had greased.

"You all have done a wonderful job getting the people, both noble and common, on your sides and cheering for your successes," Athena said. "Now it is time for you to sell yourself to the person who really matters: me." She smiled. "For the second round of the final challenge, it will be up to you to convince me why you should be chosen as the winner of the Challenge... and why your fellow competitors should not."

MzBptAg.png

@Vracken - 12 sponsors
@Jabberwock - 4 sponsors
@Skyleaf2000 - 3 sponsors

As a result, the current standings are:
atD58AC.png

The Final Challenge
Round 2

For the second round, challengers will submit a short essay in two parts about the following subjects: why they should be chosen as the winner of the challenge and why another challenger shouldn't.

Instructions:
  1. You must compose 2 small write-ups (100-500 words each) on the following two subjects:
    1. Why you should be the winner of the Challenge
    2. Why one of the other two challengers should not be the winner of the Challenge.
  2. For the second part, you must choose one of the other two challengers and write solely about them; you cannot write about both.
  3. Once your write-ups are complete, you must send them to me in a PM. No specific formatting or anything is necessary. Once they have been submitted, they're final and cannot be changed in any way.
  4. The deadline for write-up submission is Friday, January 20th at 5:00pm Central European Time. That is the same as 4:00pm GMT, 11:00am Eastern US time, 8:00am Pacific US time, or approximately a half hour past the time of this post in your own time zone.
  5. Once the deadline has been reached, points will be awarded in two fashions.
    1. For the first half, it's simple: The player whose write-ups I like the most gains 1 point.
    2. For the second half, points will be awarded based on who is written about in the second write-up. If each player is written about once, (for example, A writes about B, B writes about C, and C writes about A), no one gains any points. If one player is written about twice and a different player is written about once (for example, A and B both write about C and C writes about A), the player who received zero write-ups gains 2 points, the player who received 1 write-up gains 1 point, and the player who received 2 write-ups gains 0 points (using the same example, B would get 2 points, A 1, and C 0). As such, people's opinions of who should not win directly correspond with how many points they gain.
  6. If any player does not submit a write-up before the deadline, which effectively means they are choosing not to participate in the round, they will receive -1 point. The other player(s) may win a point for the first half of the challenge, but the second half will be nullified.
  7. Total point tallies will be shared at the beginning of the next round and will continue throughout the challenge.
Overall Information About The Final Challenge:
  1. The Final Challenge will contain 7 rounds total.
  2. Each round will see competitors competing in a mini-challenge where they will earn a number of points based on their success in that round compared to the other players.
  3. Refusal to participate in a particular round will earn that challenger a negative point.
  4. Once all rounds have been completed, the challenger with the most points will be crowned the winner.
  5. In the event of a tie at the end of the seventh round, an additional round will be played to serve as a tie-breaker between the tied parties.
Good luck and have fun! :D Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Last edited:
*looks at the first write-up*
Oh, this might be a bit difficult. I'm not a very confident person.
*looks at write-up 2*
._. I always put others ahead of myself. How will I write this.
(Like, my lack of self-confidence is crippling. People yell at me for it.)
*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

I think you guys should re-enact the plotline of a cheesy high school drama and rebel in your speeches. :p Vracken should argue for why Sky deserves to win and he doesn't, Sky argues for why Jabs deserves to win and she doesn't, and Jabs fights Vracken's corner. It'd be great! :3

The deadline for write-up submission is Friday, January 17th at 5:00pm Central European Time. That is the same as 4:00pm GMT, 11:00am Eastern US time, 8:00am Pacific US time, or approximately a half hour past the time of this post in your own time zone.

What is the actual deadline?
Friday the 20th of January, or Friday the 17th of February?

Cel I have no clue what your high school is like but sure.

Yeah, I'd be down for that. :p

I hope that everyone else went according to the "cheesy high school drama" plan, because I just pretty much completely displayed my soul in the negative essay. <_<;
I hope that my positive essay was good enough to do you justice, JibJab! :)

Wait no I missed the deadline! D:

@Athena, can I use the Immunity from the writing challenge to not receive a -1 point for this round, please? :3

H9xyvuC.png

Work began on the essays in earnest, though when they were turned into Queen Athena, she was quite puzzled.

"Naxi, you've chosen Mathas as your subject for your second write-up, but... you don't actually say anything about why he shouldn't win the Challenge; in fact, the write-up is the exact opposite. And Mathas, you... you chose to write about yourself in the second essay, too, explaining why you shouldn't win instead of the others. Honestly, neither of these is suitable, but... where are Jabber's write-ups?"

"Um..." stammered Jabber. "About that... think I could use my immunity scroll on this round to avoid the penalty?"

"Of course you may, though it's a shame, since neither of these scrolls should have given you much of a challenge to beat," Athena sighed. "Oh well, onto the next challenge. I've been a bit down this past week, and could use a bit of a pick-me-up. So, I'm instructing you all to bring as many cute animals as you can into the castle for my personal amusement. Have fun catching them all!"

MzBptAg.png

@Vracken - 0 points
@Jabberwock - 0 points
@Skyleaf2000 - 0 points

As a result, the current standings are:
wR6Htky.png

So, yeah, neither Vracken nor Skyleaf really followed and rules, and Jabber didn't submit at all (though he used up his scroll to avoid punishment), so the whole round was a wash. Oh well, I'm late too, so I can't complain all too much. :p

The Final Challenge
Round 3

For this third round, challengers will compete in a YPPY-style game posting Pokémon-related images to the thread. The winner is the player who (along with their helpers, if any) posts the highest total number of images that matches the required criteria.

Instructions:
  1. This challenge will be a YPPY-style competition to post the largest number of Pokémon-related images that fit a certain criteria (see below). Each image that fulfills the criteria gains the challenger a point.
  2. Players can use Scrolls of Summon Magical Assistant (SoSMA) to summon helpers to post additional images. Please see the SoSMA section below for more details.
  3. YPPY Rules: You must wait until at least 2 other people (challengers or helpers) have posted before you may post again. However, since there is a chance that only a small number of people will be playing, you may also post a new image 6 hours after your last image, even if two other people have not posted in the meantime.
  4. The game officially starts as soon as this post is submitted and will end on Tuesday, January 31st at 5:00pm Central European Time. That is the same as 4:00pm GMT, 11:00am Eastern US time, 8:00am Pacific US time, or approximately 4 hours past the time of this post in your own time zone.
  5. Once the deadline has been reached, points will be awarded as follows:
    1. The player who posts the most number of qualifying images gains 2 points.
    2. The player who posts the second-most number of qualifying images gains 1 point.
    3. The player who posts the least number of qualifying images gains 0 points.
  6. If any player does not submit any images before the deadline, which effectively means they are choosing not to participate in the round, they will receive -1 point.
  7. Total point tallies will be shared at the beginning of the next round and will continue throughout the challenge.

Image Criteria & Tips:

In order for a picture posted to the thread to qualify, it must meet the following two conditions:
  1. The image must be Pokémon-related. Anime, games, TCG, spin-offs, fanart, whatever.
  2. The image must be one that I like enough to save to my computer (and that I don't already have).
That's it!

The first is easy, of course, but the difficulty comes in with the second criteria, so I thought I'd give you some tips. I particularly like funny animated gifs, well-made images that can be used for avatars or wallpapers, and of course images of my favourite Pokémon. Of course, I do already have a number of Pokémon pictures myself, so you'll have to try to be unique, too!

Scroll of Summon Magical Assistant

(Each of you started with a number of Scrolls of Magical Assistant, a magic item that can be used to give you various advantages throughout the game. Each time a new use of the item is revealed, it will be posted about in the Update (like this section here and now), and also added to the OP for easy reference. Please Note: Each Scroll is single use only! Once you use a Scroll for any purpose it is used up and your total number of scrolls goes down by one. If you ever want to know how many scrolls you currently have available at any given point, feel free to ask.)

SoSMA: Summon YPPY Participant: Similar to the SoSMA use from the previous YPPY challenge, you may spend 1 SoSMA to summon a helper to post images with you. Any images posted by your helper that fit the criteria count towards your own score.

Helpers can be any PokéBeach member aside from the 3 remaining challengers and myself. Please have them contact me via PM or Skype to make their participation official.

If you have any questions about this particular use of SoSMA, please ask!

Overall Information About The Final Challenge:
  1. The Final Challenge will contain 7 rounds total.
  2. Each round will see competitors competing in a mini-challenge where they will earn a number of points based on their success in that round compared to the other players.
  3. Refusal to participate in a particular round will earn that challenger a negative point.
  4. Once all rounds have been completed, the challenger with the most points will be crowned the winner.
  5. In the event of a tie at the end of the seventh round, an additional round will be played to serve as a tie-breaker between the tied parties.
Good luck and have fun! :D Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Can we upload them as an attachment, or do they need to be in the text box thing?

4fd867dfd36cfb8b369335d146b56ab6.png

Attachments

• Adorable Pidgey.png
    Adorable Pidgey.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back