Finished The Challenge: Season 7 - And the Winner is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
~Challenge 15 - Part II~
(pretend this is in fancy text or something, ok? :U)

All of the challengers submitted wonderful games and challenges for the group to play... all except Luis, anyway, who disappeared in the middle of the night, forfeiting his claim. The remaining four challengers waited anxiously as Queen Athena perused the game options, her face betraying few of her thoughts.

Finally, the Queen put down the scrolls and turned towards the challengers, a smile beaming on her face. "While I enjoy all of the possibilities that you four have submitted to me, there is one in particular that stands out, as it brings back some... rather fond memories for me."

The scroll she held out for the challengers to see was the one submitted by Naxi. Rather than a description of a game, it actually appeared to be an advertisement for a... local dungeon?

"The Mycenian Ruins," Athena offered by way of explanation, "is a popular training hall and attraction to the north. I used to spend a lot of time there in my youth. Passing the first level is a requirement for all squires and trainees that apply to be a part of the royal military and guard, while skilled knights will complete in yearly tournaments to get as deep as possible. I myself managed to get as far as the 5th level..." She smiled wistfully. "I have high hopes that you all will do as well as me, however, if not better. After all, your position in this Challenge counts on it."

The Queen stood up and offered the scroll back to Naxi. "As the Ruins were your idea, you may compete or not, as you wish, and are safe from elimination this Challenge regardless. As for the others... " she glanced at them and nodded, "you three will be primarily competing against each other. Whichever among you performs most poorly will be eliminated at the end of this game, leaving the rest of you for the final three. You will have a day to prepare, and we will leave tomorrow at first light. Best of luck to you all!"

Challenge 15 Part II
The Mycenian Ruins

This challenge will be a two part challenge. In this second part, the three challengers whose games were not selected will compete for their lives in the game of Dungeon Robber.

Instructions:
  1. This challenge will consist of 2 parts. The first part establishes a winner and has no elimination (so long as everyone submits). However, there will be elimination in the second part, so stay on your toes!
  2. In Part 2, each non-winning Challenger will be competing in the game of Dungeon Robber! Detailed gameplay information about the game can be found below.
  3. As the challenger who submitting the winning game, @Vracken is exempt from elimination. However, he can play along with the others if he wishes.
  4. For the purposes of this Challenge, your score is based is based on your total accumulated XP/GP, which you must share here in the thread with an image. Here are your submission guidelines:
    1. The image needs to show your full in-game character sheet. With 2490 XP (upper left) and 76 GP (bottom right), the total score for this example screenshot is 2566.
    2. The image MUST be posted in thread. No PMed or IMed submissions will be accepted!
    3. To verify that the score you submit is actually taken for the Challenge, the screenshot image must include PokéBeach open in a separate tab, such as in the previously shown shot. If there's info in a full screenshot like this that you don't want to show, open it in Paint first and black the sensitive stuff out.
    4. If you would prefer to take a picture (such as if you are playing on mobile), you should include a post-it or other piece of paper with your PokéBeach username written on it. Like this! Both your score and the username must be legible.
    5. You may post as many entries as you like until the deadline has been reached and the highest one will count as your final submission.
  5. There is no set ending time for this Challenge yet. This is because of my surgery, as I do not know when I will be recovered enough to start running this game again. It may be a week, it may be a few weeks. Unfortunately, I can't really predict it. That said, I will post a 24 hour deadline once I think I am good enough to move on. From the time of that deadline, you will have 24 hours to submit your final scores. This way, you still have some warning, while also having the most time possible to play.
  6. Once the deadline has been reached, the player with the lowest overall score will be eliminated.

Gameplay Information:

Click here to access the game!

Welcome to the world of Dungeon Robber! This game is a text-based, procedurally-generated sort of RPG based off of a series of charts that were a part of the original Dungeons & Dragons back in the late-70s. More information about the history of the game can be found by clicking the "What the heck is this?" yellow button at the top of the menu.

Your goal is basically to collect treasure and level up. Because you can pay GP (gold) to gain XP (experience), those two things go hand in hand. You explore the dungeon to find treasure and beat up monsters, and you can go back to town to buy/sell your items and trade your GP in at the bank for XP to help you level up. Higher levels give you better stats so you can survive longer in the dungeon to get more loot that you can sell for more gold that you can use to buy more exp. Sounds easy enough, right?

Gameplay is very simple. The "map" on the left side of the gameplay screen is just a graphic representational of the tables the game uses to generate encounters. All of the meat of the game is in the text on the left, and you input simple text commands to move on. Letters in parentheses, such as (e)xplore, show you which key to press to perform that action. For numbered lists, you type the corresponding number key.

Mouse commands are mostly used to interact with your character sheet, which can be reached by pressing the scroll-shaped "CHAR SHEET" button at the bottom. You can equip/stow/drop items in your inventory here. You can also sell items from your inventory when you're in the market. Since you do not get any points for items (or CP/SP/etc), only for GP/XP, it is recommended that you go to town and sell all of your items before taking your screenshot to submit your score.

As you explore the dungeon, you will come across monsters that you can fight as well, and fighting these monsters will also give you experience. You can also move deeper into the dungeon, though there's always the possibility that you can get confused and/lost, which means you will be unable to backtrack to the entrance to (l)eave the dungeon and go back to town to sell/heal.

You can see your character sheet at any point, even if you die, so if the worst happens and you die in the dungeon, it is probably a good idea to take a screenshot of your final character sheet (even though you don't get points for unsold items, etc.), in case it still ends up being your best score.

And I think that's everything! Good luck, have fun, and, as always, please ask if you have any questions. :)

@Jabberwock, @Celever, @Skyleaf2000, @Vracken

SCHEDULING NOTE: As a reminder, on November 4th, I will be going to the hospital for a surgery and I'm not sure how active I will be able to be during my recovery (depends on pain and mobility, mostly, and I can't judge either ahead of time). You are welcome to leave questions and notes after I am gone, but I do not know how long it will be before I am able to respond.

@Vracken is exempt from elimination. However, he can play along with the others if he wishes.
TROLL IN THE DUNGEON!

tumblr_m1bd97j9s71qe9apmo2_500.gif

No one has posted anything yet, so I figured I would get the ball rolling before I start being really busy tomorrow.
Played for a couple of hours, decided to retire Lucile to become a princess cause why not, several thousand more gold worth of items (probably about 12000). See if you can get here as well ^w^

s9TjTZo.png

Well, uh, I'm thoroughly intimidated by Vracken. IHANI how he managed to make that happen. o.o;

Pw7uajm.png

If there's anything in particular you're having trouble with, feel free to post and we can help. I know it took me a little while to figure things out, too.

Also, for the record, Vracken is definitely much better than me at this game. I played a few times before I finalized it as my choice, and the sample screenshot I posted in the game OP is the best I ever did. >_>

Finally got a good enough score to post!
Kq3FBnN.png
EDIT: Image kept breaking. I think it works now.

Last edited:
I died. Aaaaand then my game glitched. It keeps asking me which save I want to use and no matter which one I pick, it just shows the same screen. @_@ Help?

Try playing a new game would probably be the best choice, though I am guessing you didn't retire for that sweet fighter class unlock

Last edited:
Wow, that is going pretty well ^w^ Maybe I will have to play some more to make sure I stay out on top.
Now we just need @Celever to actually make a submission

Don't forget that you can sell your items for more gold in the town! You only get points for gp/xp, so having a big inventory is just wasted points.

Don't forget that you can sell your items for more gold in the town! You only get points for gp/xp, so having a big inventory is just wasted points.
I know! I sell everything I don't need. The other stuff helps me to not die. XD
When the deadline is announced and I feel I can go no further, I'll sell everything. :3

Sorry for being so late on this. My recovery isn't going as smoothly as hoped and it's been very hard for me to concentrate on things. I think you guys have had more than enough time to work on this, though, so I'm officially putting the 24 hours deadline into effect, starting now.

The final deadline to complete the game is tomorrow, Wednesday, November 23rd at 2:00pm Central European Time.
That is the same as 11:00pm GMT, 8:00am Eastern US time, 5:00am Pacific US time, or approximately an hour past the time of this post in your own time zone.

And the deadline is up! I've had a busy day (emergency appointment, woo) so I might not get around to posting a formal update until tomorrow (though you can probably figure out who's getting eliminated based on who didn't even submit *cough*), but feel free to discuss things in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back