Finished The Challenge: Season 7 - And the Winner is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone in particular not feeling up to continuing The Challenge due to activity or whatever reasons? Because we may as well do them (and Thena) a favour by eliminating them instead of modkilling. :x

I'm really curious to see that board... because I'm really baffled to what these codenames are referring to. >.>

edit: ninja
Pavement ~ Side (Americans call it the sidewalk), Street (it's on the street)
Food ~ Pies (pies are food), Comfort (comfort food) This was kinda a case of Occam's Razor, since I figured the less links and connections you have to make in your head the less of a reach you'd think it is; for throat you'd have to go food --> eat --> throat, whereas comfort is just food.
Springs ~ Comfort (you missed it in food so I rehinted at it; the whole reason why springs exist are to provide comfort), Rings (the pluralisation was meant to hint at this, like with Sky and the ant/ants thing in her round. But you cut off the 's' smh. That said, springs are just a bunch of rings, like you identified) I also didn't know that springs are used in an engine. I thought it was pistons? >_>
List ~ Sort (lists are used to sort stuff), Friend (this is a Nintendo site, we should be familiar with friends lists :p) Wish list was actually also a super good shout by Vracken though, I didn't even see the connection. :p
Is anyone in particular not feeling up to continuing The Challenge due to activity or whatever reasons? Because we may as well do them (and Thena) a favour by eliminating them instead of modkilling. :x
Personally I'm OK with continuing ^.^

I also want to continue, I only didn't earlier since I was super busy at the time and did not want to let people down, but I should be available for at least the next two months before I have another busy period

Last edited:
The elimination period has ended, but the votes are a tie! As written in this rule:

In the event of a tie, the winning team of the previous challenge gets to choose who of the tied candidates is eliminated.

I will be contacting the members of the Red Team to act as a tie breaker and decide which of the tied parties will be eliminated. They will have 48 hours to decide, so we should hopefully have something decided by Tuesday and move the game on to the next challenge sometime around then.

giphy.gif

Alright, WHO VOTED WHO? Two of you folks lied to me when I asked where your head was at, so I can only assume you tried to vote me dead. One of you told the truth, and thank you for being an honourable person. The other two? I'm gonna hunt you down.

giphy.gif

aYccsCG.png

@bbninjas has been eliminated from the game!

Thank you very much for participating! I hope you enjoyed your time in the game. Please contact me privately if you would like a link to the Dead/Spectator QT to discuss the game behind the scenes.​

Red Team was decently fast about making their choice, so the next challenge will hopefully start tomorrow. Look forward to it! :)

PS: Discussion ban on elimination is lifted; you guys can talk about whatever the hell you want now.

OK so maybe I wasn't in the tie after all.

Thanks for all being good people guys! Love you! <3

I'm still super curious about how there was a tie though. Maybe 2 people didn't send in votes at all, or..?

Apologies for the delay; it's been a busy week for me. Will probably be starting up the next challenge on Monday next week.

ezYtWPI.png

The next day, the Challengers awoke to find scrolls delivered with their breakfast meals, directing them to the foothills of the Tormal Mountains. They set off at once, making their way over rivers and plains, and through some of the most vile slums of Ial, before finally arriving at the base of the foothills.

Queen Athena awaited them there, accompanied by several guards and courtesans, enjoying a cup of tea as they watched the surroundings. “Welcome,” she announced grandly, “to your next challenge! The Tormal Mountains,” she said, her voice ringing clearly and echoing through the hills. “Though I bear the title of Conqueror of the Tormal Mountains, they are like a force of nature. They cannot be tamed, any more than a savage dragon may be made to submit. Many have climbed the mountains over the years, including my own ancestors, but doing so is an arduous task, and many who attempt it lose their lives in the process."

Murmurs, some excited, others nervous, rippled through the group as the looked up at the immense task likely awaiting them.

“As you have probably guessed, you will climb the Tormal Mountains today,” said the Queen. “This challenge pushes your physical ability and mental endurance to the limit. How far can you go, before you yield to the mountains? Unfortunately, there is not enough rope for all of you, meaning some pieces will require splitting. The rope you choose to use is up to you. Furthermore, the shorter your rope, the longer it will take to scale the mountain, which will put you at a disadvantage compared to your foes.

"You will have to communicate with each other to determine the best path, but communication is risky up in the heights where avalanches are common. However, take heart in this,” she continued. “There will be no elimination today. Or at least, there will be none, if –– and only if! –– the losing challenger forfeits all of his or her Scrolls of Summon Magical Assistant to the winner. Now, this may be a greater loss for some of you than others. But it is the price you must pay to remain in the Seventh Challenge of Challesia.

“The best of luck to you all. Let the challenge begin!”

Challenge 13
Picking Ropes

In this challenge, challengers are required to pick straws ropes in prospect of climbing the Tormal Mountains without causing an avalanche. If multiple challengers choose the same rope, said rope will be cut into a number of equal lengths so each challenger has a piece.

Instructions:
  1. As you may or may not recall, this challenge was the winning challenge of Challenge 4. As such, @Jabberwock, the only remaining member of the team that created the challenge, will be allowed to sit out if he so chooses.
  2. That said, I have indeed made some alterations to this challenge from its original submission, so please make sure you read everything, even if you read the original submission.
  3. This challenge will consist of 3 rounds. Each round will list the available rope lengths available for the picking, and will also include a maximum of 72 hours of discussion in thread for people to debate their options. Before the 72 hours period is up, Challengers are to pick which rope they would like to use, without causing an avalanche.
  4. Outside communication is strictly prohibited. Due to the monitored nature of this Challenge, challengers may not communicate outside of the thread about this Challenge in any form.
  5. Challengers may not use or post any of the following words/groups in-thread throughout the duration of this Challenge: “rope”, any color (such as yellow, blue or red), “long/er/est”, “short/er/est”, any numbers, “middle”, “between”, “next to”, the username of any Challenger or host (including established nicknames), “pick”, or “penguins wearing sombreros”.
  6. Contestants may not attempt to bypass these restrictions by using a synonymous word, highlighting the restricted word inside another word, or simply removing a few letters from the restricted word. For an example, players may not use “maroon” or “dreds” to bypass the use of “red”, or “Thena” or “Ena” to bypass the use of “Athena”.
  7. Any Challenger who violates Rule 4 or Rule 5 will forfeit a Scroll of Summon Magical Assistant, to protect themselves from an avalanche. If a challenger cannot forfeit a scroll, they will automatically forfeit a rope pick for that round, effectively gaining a rope length of 0m.
  8. Challengers must send the host their choice of rope at any time in a new PM before the deadline. Rule 4 and 5 does not apply for this submission. Once the PM has been sent, the choice is considered final and may not be changed.
  9. Once all arounds are complete, the player that has the shortest rope will be designated the loser and will be forced to forfeit all Scrolls of Summon Magical Assistant they have on hand. If the loser has no scrolls on hand, they will be eliminated instead.
  10. In the event that there is a tie between one or more players with the shortest rope, all players not in the tie can submit a vote to contribute to a tiebreaker.
  11. The player with the longest length of rope will be considered the winner and will receive all scrolls forfeited throughout this Challenge. If the winner status is tied, scrolls will be distributed amongst the winners equally rounded down to the nearest whole.
  12. I'm going to wait about 48 hours to give people time to ask questions about the challenge, if any, and prepare (since I know it's been a while since this game has been active). As such, Round 1 will be posted on Wednesday, August 24th at around 1:00pm Central European Summer Time. That is the same as 12:00pm BST, 7:00am Eastern US time, 4:00am Pacific US time, or approximately the time of this post in your own time zone.
And that's everything! Good luck, have fun, and, as always, please ask if you have any questions. :)

Last edited:
PS: Since Scrolls are a pretty important thing in this challenge, feel free to PM me if you want to know how many you have left.

Ohey look a Togepi, I'm celebrating too! Guess I was in #TeamPhoenix 2.0.

Oh, and where were you bb? Off in the Xanadus? :U

(NGL though that Pokémon short is the best ever)

I just tried to post a Skype log. After removing all timestamps I then realised that we can't even have the names of each other posted in the thread. Word censorship sure is great!!

Anyway, I'm actually not sure if I actually understand the challenge here. It seems like random chance, and though we're "meant" to discuss, I don't know what benefits we'd actually garner from it. Is it like, if two people try to <snip> the same option then neither receives it or something like that? If not, I don't see why we'd risk losing our scrolls over it. IDK, it just seems like it has little strategy. >_>

Removed the part in the rules that was specifically referencing thesaurus.com, mostly to avoid rules lawyering and encourage participation based on the spirit of the rule and not the letter. Basically, don't be a smartass with the no names/colours/synonyms rule and you'll be fine.

Sure, I'll sit this one out. I like my SoSMAs too much to forfeit them. ^.^

Good luck to the rest of you! :D

Picking Ropes Round 1!

This round consists of 4 different lengths of rope: 35m, 60m, 40m, 24m
ERloOSJ.jpg

Here is a link to the rules and the gameplay breakdown. Make sure you understand how the game is played, and remember any rule breaking will immediately result in the removal of a SoSMA or nullify you from being able to select a rope for that round if you have no SoSMA remaining.

When you have made your selection, please PM me with the text ##PICK: (length) to indicate which rope you will be choosing. You can use the same PM conversation for all of the rounds.

Each round will last 72 hours or until all parties have PMed their rope selection. As such, the deadline for Round 1 is Saturday, August 27th at around 1:00pm Central European Summer Time. That is the same as 12:00pm BST, 7:00am Eastern US time, 4:00am Pacific US time, or approximately the time of this post in your own time zone.

Funnily enough, I have an important event that happens to start right at that time on Saturday. :U So in the event that Round 1 doesn't end early, it'll probably be a few hours before I'll be able to update. Just giving you guys a head's up~

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back