• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format The Burning Sea (Gyarados GX)

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Kaiwe opens up the doors for some weird shenanigans, and this is one of them! Did 5 energies look like a little too much for Gyarados', frankly silly, main attack? Well now it's not a problem with Kaiwe!

Pokemon: 14

3 Gyarados GX
2 Magikarp CRI
2 Magikarp EVO
2 Turtonator
1 Shining Celebi
1-1 Octillery
2 Tapu Lele GX

I run the Turt here because I'm going to be running fire energy anyway and it seemed like a pretty great way to A.) deal with Metagross and B.) recover energy using Nitro Tank. I split my Magikarp using two of the CRI ones and two EVO and included Shining Celebi in order to add another win condition. With Gyarados' huge HP it's a monster to one shot (unless he's loaded up with energy). This kind of gives him a Tauros GX dynamic where he's not something you want to hit until you can get the knockout out-right.

Considerations:

Gyarados BUS : Towards the end of the game when you've got 3 Magikarp is your discard this could be a great single prize attacker.

(Had another, but I forgot! Will edit when it comes back to me, lol)

Supporters: 15

4 Sycamore
4 N
3 Guzma
2 Kiawe
2 Lusamine

Pretty standard looking supporter lineup. Lusamine is so I can recycle Stadiums to power Gyarados GX.

Trainers: 19

4 Ultra Ball
3 Choice Band
1 Float Stone
1 Professor's Letter
1 Rescue Stretcher
1 Super Rod
3 Brooklet
2 Po Town
2 Scorched Earth
1 Parallel City

Sort of throwing things at the wall to see what sticks here. I like the 1-1 Stretcher/ Rod split. Stretcher gives me that option of just placing a discarded or KO'd pokemon right back into my hand, while Super Rod can save some of my energy resources late game. I've added a toolbox of useful sounding Stadiums. Parallel City can easily get rid of bench liabilities without any real drawback thanks to Gyarados' attack discarding it. Po Town can be used after to put some pressure on evolution decks. Scorched City is a nice idea but do I want to be getting rid of my limited fire energy supplies for a little bit of draw support? Brooklet of course is just a water deck staple.

Energy: 12

7 Water
5 Fire

5 fire means that Kiawe is fairly likely to hit 4 fire energy. I could do a 6-6 split, or even lean more towards the fire energy since Gyarados only needs one, however i need to be able to get at least one water energy in order to attack with Gyarados which makes the deck inconsistent if i run too few water energy.

So those are all my thoughts. Tell me what you think of this frankly crazy deck idea.

Definitely a crazy deck idea, but your logic is sound. I do think you should run more Fire Energy so you can attack more consistently with Turtonator if need be. Gardevoir completely shreds a fully stacked Gyarados so I feel like you're going to be relying more on Turtonator than just the Metagross matchup. I would maybe do 4 Water and 8 Fire. Plus, it just helps with Nitro Tank GX. I'm also not the biggest fan of Brooklet Hill because a lot of decks run Octillery and you're helping them get Remoraid on the field. I prefer Nest Balls because they basically do the same thing but you can also grab Turtonator with them.

@HouchinsDJ consider that with brooklet hill I can be discarding it with Gyarados after using it for myself. Plus I don't want to run out of stadiums to power up Gyarados

Back