The Best Deck for Grinders

Emolga2254

AwesomeEmolga
So, with grinders approaching, what do you guys think is the best play for grinders?

In my opinion, there's no clear cut best choice to play in grinders as each deck has a bad match up that would completely ruin your day if you play against it in round one.

I'm just curious to know everyone's mindset going into grinders, like if you would play virizion in grinders and hope to avoid pyroars. Additionally, I'd like to know that if you were to play in grinders, what would you play?

This is not the best play but I believe straight pyroar Raichu is an extremely strong play for grinders. It need 4-3 Raichu 4-3 pyroar, 2 blacksmith, 2 beach, 1 rod, and 1 sacred ash.

There are 2-3 decks that are currently at the top of my list, but I'm strongly considering Yveltal-Garbodor given the options I have in the deck and "minimal" bad match-ups.

All I can say, is that if you don't go into it with an answer to Pyroar, then you need to rethink your approach. Pyroar hype is slowly growing again.

Ninetails / Raichu / Pyroar is a fairly solid play. It takes no autolosses and beats almost everything. In the grinder you can't afford to take a loss.

Camoclone said:
Ninetails / Raichu / Pyroar is a fairly solid play. It takes no autolosses and beats almost everything. In the grinder you can't afford to take a loss.

Without ninetales. 3 Lysandre.

This might sound crazy, but I think the best play for the Grinder is the old Big Basics/Garbodor (Landorus EX/Mewtwo-EX/Tornadus EX/Garbodor) because it can take advantage of weakness and resistance. Landorus EX OHKO's Raichu for a single energy and a muscle band, Mewtwo EX can just beat on things like Charizard EX that have a high energy cost, Tornadus EX resists Landorus EX, and Garbodor shuts off Pyroar. The only downside is that Raichu can OHKO Tornadus EX.

Is that where you take one deck and hope to have a chance against any deck you face? For that, I would go with Garbodor/Cheap attackers. A Raichu line (2-2 at least), 1 Druddigon, at least one Mewtwo EX, and probably Landorus (it's just a solid attacker in general and doesn't need acceleration to have an advantage). I've been testing those decks online and I've had the most fun with them.

MaD_DoG said:
This might sound crazy, but I think the best play for the Grinder is the old Big Basics/Garbodor (Landorus EX/Mewtwo-EX/Tornadus EX/Garbodor) because it can take advantage of weakness and resistance. Landorus EX OHKO's Raichu for a single energy and a muscle band, Mewtwo EX can just beat on things like Charizard EX that have a high energy cost, Tornadus EX resists Landorus EX, and Garbodor shuts off Pyroar. The only downside is that Raichu can OHKO Tornadus EX.

pokedan24 said:
Is that where you take one deck and hope to have a chance against any deck you face? For that, I would go with Garbodor/Cheap attackers. A Raichu line (2-2 at least), 1 Druddigon, at least one Mewtwo EX, and probably Landorus (it's just a solid attacker in general and doesn't need acceleration to have an advantage). I've been testing those decks online and I've had the most fun with them.

The problem with these decks and any other version of Salazar.dek (that's what they are) just have to take an iffy virgen matchup and they straight out lose to empoleon and TDK, which is why they are not good plays for the LCQ.

I'm actually leaning towards darkrai hydreigon, since the worst matchup in my opinion is genesect. I'm comfortable playing it against garb and stoise. And when I look at the metagame, I'm not expecting many genesects to be there due to Pyroar

Emolga2254 said:
I'm actually leaning towards darkrai hydreigon, since the worst matchup in my opinion is genesect. I'm comfortable playing it against garb and stoise. And when I look at the metagame, I'm not expecting many genesects to be there due to Pyroar

I'd be wary of the Pyroar matchup. Charizard EX kills hydreigon easy and then you can't really do anything about pyroars.

I'd actually be really confident going with a variation of Ishaan Hagiasi's Empoleon build, I find it very nice to play and has no bad match-up except for some aggressive Landorus deck that can sweep through you Miltanks.

@rougechomp I play giratina, I've tested it a lot since it's what I'm expecting to be the biggest. You also have max potions to swing the matchup in your favor.

Emolga2254 said:

Didn't you guys say almost exactly the same thing last grinder with no result?

he made it to last round of grinders with it so he must have been doing something right.
Also i agree with empoleon being one of the better plays since i expected plasma and virizon to be down to a minimal due to pyroar. Also i suggest (may sound weird) gothitelle again since no one plays any keldeo anymore (mostly) i personally like it better because first playing rare candy in goth already helps to fit in a easier dusknoir line and second because that 20 extra hp really helps against certain decks (pyroar, having empoleon bench more pokemon, flygons spread etc.) so thats my thought for the day. Ill see you guys sunday to talk more about it before worlds

Back