Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
I’m assuming that each type will have its own design, so Fire will get the chandelier, while Leaf will get the flowers, etc. It makes sense. Personally it doesn’t bother me too much, but this simply doesn’t have the “cool” factor that Mega Evolution, and even Gigantimax Pokemon, brought to the franchise. Rather than give Pokemon new designs they decided to make them all crystallized and add funny hats. Idk.

I’m just hoping that the rumored past/future Pokemon mechanic I keep hearing about makes up for the lack of creativity (subjective). I swear, sometimes I feel like they forget that their fanbase isn’t simply children.
I mean, I don't think even children can appreciate a mon randomly having a chandelier almost twice its size sticking out of its head. I don't see which children would be stoked about crystal pendants sticking out of their pokémon.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
They still had to rig the models, which was apparently more challenging than you'd expect based on what some modders have said, add textures, create movesets, in some cases add additional animations... It's not necessarily free, and if it were they would have just done it rather than deal with the expected backlash.

And they're adding bump mapping and higher resolution textures to pretty much all of the Pokemon models in the game. They might have new animations too. You seriously seem as if you believe that GF are just doing this to spite fans.

And source on the BDSP claim, please.
I'm not saying hard work doesn't go into models and rigging or that it doesn't take time. But in the 2019 Famitsu interview regarding the cut Pokemon, Masuda said they cut Pokemon in order to prioritize working on higher quality games (basically going from working on 3DS games to the much higher quality Switch). Ohmori said, "Now that we are moving to the Nintendo Switch and remaking the models from scratch, we had to make some kind of choice." And I'm quoting that from a NintendoLife article which specifically wanted a human to retranslate that Famitsu article to make sure it was actually accurate. If they were remaking the models from scratch, I mean, it would be a boneheaded decision, but that would be a reason to cut the count back. But then the games came out, and it was confirmed that the previous Gen models were the same and animations were also recycled. So if the reason given for why they were cutting a ton of Pokemon was a lie, then what WAS the reason? That's why this decision has been baffling to this day, not because I somehow think Game Freak wants to spite fans. What?

If we relate this back to the question that started this, what would be the excuse if this happened again? We know they reuse the models, which is the smart thing to do. And by now, there's apparently only 60 to 63 Pokemon that haven't been in SwSh, BDSP, or Legends Arceus (not including other forms, mainly or exclusively Alolan), which is far fewer than I thought. And of those remaining, we currently don't know which ones could be added to Scarlet and Violet. If the work has been done, especially recently within Gen 8, what would be the excuse to not include every Pokemon in a single game? (Again, not necessarily catchable in the region, but available with transfers.)

Also, while my point still stands about game file sizes and DLC/updates/patches not being a factor for not including Pokemon, you were right to question that bit about BDSP. In short, I saw that presented as fact, when it was actually a desperate attempt for fans to rationalize why those physical games were shipped in an unfinished state that required a large day 1 patch. (I'll edit my post, in case anyone else happens to read it.) The longer explanation that I pieced together is that when the games released, they needed a very large day 1 patch (in comparison to the post-patch file size). It was officially reported about a week prior to release that the patch was about 3 GB. After the first patch, the game file size was 6.7 GB. If you don't patch them, the games on the cartridges don't have the opening, title, and ending credits videos, the post game, or the BDSP soundtrack (instead it has remade DS versions of the songs or something). So people wanted to know why the games were shipped like that. And it seems the most plausible theory was that if "3 GB" was the literal patch size, then "3.7 GB" was on the cartridge. Why would that be important? Possibly to put this on a cheaper 4 GB cart rather than an 8 GB cart. Companies do like to cut costs, so that seemed more plausible than "lol The games weren't finished in time." And you'd think that if anyone wanted to prove this, the cartridge size would be known by now, but I could not find confirmation of it being a 4 or even 8 GB cartridge. So... this is also still a mystery for why they were shipped in an incomplete state.

Orias

Still waiting for a shiny gastly card.
Grusha gonna my waifu of choice this gen

I'm rather unimpressed with the Legendary Pokemon being available right away and being a required mode of transportation. But thats just me.
Grusha is actually a guy so he can’t be your waifu. He can be your husbando tho

fleshrum

Cephalophore
color me unimpressed with the crystal hat gimmick. We'll just have to play without it. I think I'd be happy actually if they imported it to the tcg as a rule box mechanic, cause then I could safely ignore it while playing glc with my pals.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
Ok, that was some intense pros/cons and some unrelated discussion, how about we get back to unveiling the upcoming Japanese pokemon set that is going to be our Silver Tempest.

The_Charizard_Master

Aspiring Trainer
How do you guys and gals think the Terastral phenomenon will be represented in the TCG?
Possibly the new mechanic can be that of Terastallize Pokemon Tools instead of a new pokemon rule box mechanic

Terastallize Tools/Hats can be put on any pokemon without a rule box, giving them a massive HP buff, an additional type or a type change, some kind of attack buff, an ability, and if knocked out while the tool is attached, opponent takes 2 prizes. And anytime, you can tool scrapper it away to play it smart and safe.

Since Terastallize works with every pokemon in game, if the cardgame were to reflect that, they can make very powerful tools for pokemon without rule boxes, that way we can go back to a more baby form of play instead of having rule box mayhem.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Possibly the new mechanic can be that of Terastallize Pokemon Tools instead of a new pokemon rule box mechanic

Terastallize Tools/Hats can be put on any pokemon without a rule box, giving them a massive HP buff, an additional type or a type change, some kind of attack buff, an ability, and if knocked out while the tool is attached, opponent takes 2 prizes. And anytime, you can tool scrapper it away to play it smart and safe.

Since Terastallize works with every pokemon in game, if the cardgame were to reflect that, they can make very powerful tools for pokemon without rule boxes, that way we can go back to a more baby form of play instead of having rule box mayhem.
Dynamax and Z-Moves also worked with every Pokemon, so I wouldn't count on that. Also that idea would ruin GLC lol. (I know the tools could just be banned, but a big rule change so soon after that alt format booklet was released would cause a disconnect with people who don't know Mahone.)

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Dynamax and Z-Moves also worked with every Pokemon, so I wouldn't count on that. Also that idea would ruin GLC lol. (I know the tools could just be banned, but a big rule change so soon after that alt format booklet was released would cause a disconnect with people who don't know Mahone.)

That. And also it would just be a bad mechanic, to have such a big boost in power given by something as frail as a tool. It would just make it too swingy, in fact it would be so bad that no one would end up playing it. It would also be very messy, the stupid hats are one for each type, and the tcg have multiple types under the same umbrella, it wouldn't communicate well with the vgs counterparts. I hope I'm wrong and they surprise us with something creative, but my expectations are that it's just gonna be the some slight variation on what we've seem for every single era since EXs were introduced, big rule box multiprizers. Maybe it has to evolve from regular stuff, like GXs, maybe it has some attack or ability that it represents using the hat like a GX attack or Vstar power, etc, but I don't think it will be anything that really innovates and takes us by surprise sadly.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~

I honestly like the idea of the mechanic being through Tool cards. But I agree with @Mimikeon and @Diego Lima. I don't know what we currently have in rotation, and who knows what's down the line, but all it would take to ruin this mechanic is a Tool Scrapper effect to discard the Tool. More likely then not, we'll probably get another 2 prize rule box Pokemon with a VMax/VStar mechanic for terastal shenanigans. I just don't think TPC can help themselves from not doing this again.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I honestly like the idea of the mechanic being through Tool cards. But I agree with @Mimikeon and @Diego Lima. I don't know what we currently have in rotation, and who knows what's down the line, but all it would take to ruin this mechanic is a Tool Scrapper effect to discard the Tool. More likely then not, we'll probably get another 2 prize rule box Pokemon with a VMax/VStar mechanic for terastal shenanigans. I just don't think TPC can help themselves from not doing this again.
Tool Scrapper is D-Block, so it's rotating (I assume right before SV base set releases).

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Tool Scrapper is D-Block, so it's rotating (I assume right before SV base set releases).
There's Lost Sweeper ready to take it's place already. Plus I really don't think tools are in the design space where you want the center of your big mechanic to be. It leads to all sorts of weird design problems. For instance, if the tools are powerful enough to justify them being played even with tool removal in the format, then it instantly cannibalizes every other tool, why would you play some silly regular tool when you should be playing the ones that gives your mon multiprize levels of power? That's just one of the problems, for anyone who played the game (an other card games) long enough, you can intuitively have a stream of consciousness of all the potential reasons why that's a bad idea.

Last edited:

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
If we're going by real world maps that would be the border of Paldea and Kalos.
That doesn’t make my point any less valid though. There’s also a land bridge in the corner, personally it wouldn’t make much sense to me for it to be included if it was just gonna be blocked off. It would be nice to have a connection to Kalos (although I really doubt it’ll happen), but my guess is that it’s something DLC related.

The_Charizard_Master

Aspiring Trainer
There's Lost Sweeper ready to take it's place already. Plus I really don't think tools are in the design space where you want the center of your big mechanic to be. It leads to all sorts of weird design problems. For instance, if the tools are powerful enough to justify them being played even with tool removal in the format, then it instantly cannibalizes every other tool, why would play some silly regular tool when you should be playing the ones that gives your mon multiprize levels of power? That's just one of the problems, for anyone who played the game (an other card games) long enough, you can intuitively have a stream of consciousness of all the potential reasons why that's a bad idea.
Good or bad idea, its fun to just brainstorming what the future mechanic can be. And after reading your guys's feedback, ya, its super flawed. Though potentially, I was thinking of it as a brand new kind of Tool/Trainer mechanic, like: what if its a tool that doesn't take your tool slot. Its a tool that can be attached to a pokemon, but that pokemon can have the op tool, plus another tool? 2 tool cards essentially. And since pokemon with Rule Boxes wouldn't be allowed to have them, it could be a cool counter to V, GX, and EX powercreep. Of course adjusting whatever the tool boosts is crucial too. Can;t be too op and broken right off the bat.
And honestly, I would welcome a fresh take on the game, because the big letter mechanics are getting very stale, and we'll most likely see T-Pokemon, so you know, just storming an idea.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Good or bad idea, its fun to just brainstorming what the future mechanic can be. And after reading your guys's feedback, ya, its super flawed. Though potentially, I was thinking of it as a brand new kind of Tool/Trainer mechanic, like: what if its a tool that doesn't take your tool slot. Its a tool that can be attached to a pokemon, but that pokemon can have the op tool, plus another tool? 2 tool cards essentially. And since pokemon with Rule Boxes wouldn't be allowed to have them, it could be a cool counter to V, GX, and EX powercreep. Of course adjusting whatever the tool boosts is crucial too. Can;t be too op and broken right off the bat.
And honestly, I would welcome a fresh take on the game, because the big letter mechanics are getting very stale, and we'll most likely see T-Pokemon, so you know, just storming an idea.

Yeah, like I said earlier, I also don't like how boring the mechanics have been, just basically rehashing the same thing over and over, for over a decade now. And it's not just the pokémon, the trainers too, make more stuff like Ace Specs to spice things up, all they do now is make another huge multiprize pokemon mechanic, and then make slight variations of prism stars, radiants, etc ad nauseam for the remainder of the era.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
Yeah, like I said earlier, I also don't like how boring the mechanics have been, just basically rehashing the same thing over and over, for over a decade now. And it's not just the pokémon, the trainers too, make more stuff like Ace Specs to spice things up, all they do now is make another huge multiprize pokemon mechanic, and then make slight variations of prism stars, radiants, etc ad nauseam for the remainder of the era.
The advantage to this that doesn’t appear in other card games is that below the “line”of EX, GX, V, etc, power creep isn’t much of a thing. Sure we’re seeing 170HP stage 2s more often than 120HP, but as GLC and other single prize centric play proves, the design philosophy has been consistent for almost a decade. Stale, at times, sure, but consistent.