• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Team Magma's Groudon EX

Schifferu

Aspiring Trainer
I've been playing the TCG game for a while now and after the rotation I've been figuring out what deck to play semi-competitively or casual. I've really liked Team Magma's Groudon, but it never had any good use outside its set. So now having more support with the new sets, I decided to make a deck around it. Please give some feedback if anything is viable for this deck.
Thanks!

POKEMON: 14
3 Team Magma's Groudon EX (DBC 15)
2 Carbink (FTC 50)
1 Carbink (FTC 49)
3 Carbink BREAK (FTC 51)
3 Vulpix (EVO 14)
2 Ninetales (PMC 21)

TRAINERS: 35
4 Trainer's Mail
3 VS Seeker
2 Professor's Letter
4 Silent Lab
4 Ultra Ball
3 Fighting Fury Belt
3 Float Stone
1 Escape Rope
2 Level Ball
3 Professor Sycamore
2 N
2 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac
1 Skyla

ENERGIES: 11
4 Stong Energy
7 Fighting Energy

The strategy of this deck is to focus on Team Magma's Groudon EX by charging energies using Carbink BREAK's Diamond Gift attack, free retreating Carbink BREAK with Float Stones and doing massive damage with Team Magma's Groudon EX. Since TM's Groudon EX only has 190 HP, you use Fighting Fury Belt to bulk up TM's Groudon EX to 230 HP with an additional 10 more damage to his attack. Lastly, due to TM's Groudon EX's ability Power Saver, you want to have your Silent Labs in play as long as possible so that Silent Lab can remove all abilites of Basic Pokemon in play, and in order to keep them in play even longer, you have Ninetales benched after playing your stadium to lock any players from playing stadium cards.

P.S. I have tried another variant of this deck using Fairy Garden for free retreat and using Garbodor to remove all abilities.Unfortunately, the deck becomes unplayable once Garbodor has been KO'ed.

By the way, TM Groudon EX's Ability states, "If there are 4 of fewer TM Pokemon in play, this Pokemon can't attack." You need to first add more TM Pokemon; otherwise, your main attacker can't attack at all...

What about adding a 3-3 TM Camerupt line and some Energy Switches?

By the way, TM Groudon EX's Ability states, "If there are 4 of fewer TM Pokemon in play, this Pokemon can't attack." You need to first add more TM Pokemon; otherwise, your main attacker can't attack at all...

I'm think you missed it in the list, but the deck runs 4 silent lab. This should negate Groudons' ability.

If this is the case, It also negates carbinks' (both) abilities. I'm not sure if carbink can use its ability when its a BREAK though.

I'm think you missed it in the list, but the deck runs 4 silent lab. This should negate Groudons' ability.

If this is the case, It also negates carbinks' (both) abilities. I'm not sure if carbink can use its ability when its a BREAK though.
Got it.... That's "high" risk IMO since most players run 2+ Stadiums as counters.

That's a good question, but I would think when it BREAK evolves its ability would become active since it is an evolution. Sadly I dont think there is any ruling when it comes to that. :p

Got it.... That's "high" risk IMO since most players run 2+ Stadiums as counters.
I understand that but thats why I play 2 Ninetales that have the stadium lock ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carbink Break keeps the ability that prevents attacks from EXs because the card is now a break instead of a basic pokemon.

Interesting idea. I'll second Peter and say that Break's are not basic Pokémon, therefore they are not affected by things that only affect basic Pokémon, like Silent Lab.

Personally I'd drop a trainer's mail or Float Stone (2 should be enough, especially with the rope) for another VS Seeker. Being able to pull the hex maniac an extra time may be the difference between winning and losing with this deck. If the opponent plays Hex, then a stadium, or simply plays delinquent, then your main attacker can't attack and you can't play another stadium with your Ninetails out without the Hex. Hex also simply shuts off your own ability, allowing you to attack. It seems like it's more important in this deck than normal on paper, but you would know better how it operates in real life.

Interesting idea. I'll second Peter and say that Break's are not basic Pokémon, therefore they are not affected by things that only affect basic Pokémon, like Silent Lab.

Personally I'd drop a trainer's mail or Float Stone (2 should be enough, especially with the rope) for another VS Seeker. Being able to pull the hex maniac an extra time may be the difference between winning and losing with this deck. If the opponent plays Hex, then a stadium, or simply plays delinquent, then your main attacker can't attack and you can't play another stadium with your Ninetails out without the Hex. Hex also simply shuts off your own ability, allowing you to attack. It seems like it's more important in this deck than normal on paper, but you would know better how it operates in real life.

Thank you for the advice. I was not aware of Delinquent. I was also thinking of adding Max Elixers in the deck to speed up energy charging for TM Groudon EX or does it need Max Elixers?

Delinquent isn't an exceptionally common card, but a few decks do run it. (As is Paint Roller, but I can't say I've ever seen a competitive deck run Paint Roller) Since it completely shuts you down it's just something to be aware of.

Max Elixir might help speed you up a little bit, but with only 7 basic energy cards that might not be enough to make it worth it. You'd most likely fail the search too often, but I'd give it a try if you have them. Swap the rest of the trainer's mail for them, or a few mail and 1 of the Professor letter's .

Again, I haven't played the deck though so take my advice with a grain of salt. :)

It seems like a lot of conditions and a lot of work to deal a possible 160 damage, most likely 80.

Back