Team Help + Finishing

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
So with the easier access to EVs and such, I decided to make a proper competitive team this gen; I have a few Pokemon done, but need some help as where to go with the team now:

Completed members/need some work:
Blaziken @Blazikenite
Adamant
Speed Boost
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
-Shadow Claw
-Protect
-Flare Blitz
-High Jump Kick
this is basically my hard-hitting sweeper; I usually Protect once to get the +1 speed and then Mega Evolve. Flare Blitz+HJK are amazeballs STAB moves, and Shadow Claw to get perfect coverage (particularly on Ghosts)
*note: I know Blaziken is banned on most ban lists, so I will most likely find a replacement for it for Beach tourneys, etc - I have it here more for free battles*

Clawitzer @Expert Belt
Modest
252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
Mega Launcher
-Water Pulse
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam
this is my special hitting-thing; Clauncher has great attacks to abuse ML with; AS + DP both get to 120 BP with it, and Water Pulse gets to Surf's power with it. (plus the higher PP & confusion chance is lucky)
to put it in perspective: Water Pulse OHKO'd a Mega Tyranitar that had the SpD boost in Sand (however there was no way to check if the opponent knew anything about competitive)
Whilst Clawitzer is a great special attacker, it does have lackluster defenses and speed, so it's not completely out the question to replace it

Aegislash @Life Orb
Adamant
Stance Change
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
-King's Shield
-Iron Head
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword
standarrddd
but suffering from real 4MSS; it has great coverage and KS, but I wanna fit Swords Dance on there somewhere

I have a Special-Sweeper Greninja with Timid/Protean, any move suggestions?

What I'm really looking for now is a defensive Pokemon; preferably one with an immunity to Ground (Skarmory...?) since 2 of my Mons are weak to it.

Thanks in advance :)

You also want to watch out for things that supereffect water. Granted Greninja only starts out as water and can then change. But it cant switch into something that is targeting your clawitzer as it would take the hit and then die.

For attacks you probably want something like...
-Surf/Hydropump
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse
-U-Turn/Grass Knot/Extrasensory/HP Fire

The last move slot is really dependent on what your team needs. U-Turn because its good and keeps momentum going even if you dont invest attack. Grass Knot can take out those bulky water types that can otherwise sit through your attacks. Extrasensory if you need something for anti poison/fighting. HP Fire really helps against scary things like Scizor, Ferrothorn, ect since it also gets STAB.

Only thing is with this move set. Greninja becomes pretty much like a glass cannon. A lot of its really good coverage moves, leaves it with a horrible set of weaknesses. The physical Greninja does a little less damage and less coverage, but it can shift into immunities (FIghting/Normal/Ground/Psychic)if you can predict what is coming. It can also play some fun mindgames on your opponent, while they try to predict what type of move you are going to use next.

I got Froakie off of WT and it had Toxic Spikes - is that a decent move to keep? I'm currently thinking I'll ditch it for better coverage, since Toxic is easily as good an option with Greninja's speed.
I have Surf, Ice Beam and Dark Pulse on it already; I'm thinking I'll use U-Turn for the last slot since it's always handy in a pinch and I may use an actual Grass type.

Pokemon that I'm thinking of including:
-Mega Pinsir; this thing is one serious hard hitter and it looks very threatening. (If I do use this, I'll most likely use Blaziken without the Mega Stone, or use both to cause some confusion)
-Some kind of Spinner/Defogger; my team isn't hugely bulky at all so this is gonna be very important - particularly if I do end up using Pinsir-M (who is 4x weak to Flying) (can Skamory learn Defog? I'm kinda leaning to that as a defensive thing)
-Klefki; I love this thing to pieces, and it could work well as a Spike-Parafusion thing. Plus, it has a great set of resistances and my Water types can defeat the Fire+Ground types that threaten it.

are there any suggestions? Would be very appreciated and would be very helpful to find out moveset things for the Pokemon above.

Klefki is always great with the prankster ability. I use one on my team. It comes in handy when you want to get of a toxic or thunder wave in a hurry. You have no idea how much people get frustrated when their pokemon are paralyzed half the battle.

A real sponge though is snorlax. He can wreck with attacks or you can have him sponge up all the damage and then recover to keep him in play. He can also learn status moves and attacks to really hit hard without having much attac strength.

Skarmory is okay but he has many weaknesses and a low move set. Its important to get as many advantages as you can in battle as long as you also cover your weak spots.

Tentacruel as a Sp.def hazard setter/spinner? Adds more bulk along side clawitzer and handles fairies like azumarill.

PokeChimpo said:
Tentacruel as a Sp.def hazard setter/spinner? Adds more bulk along side clawitzer and handles fairies like azumarill.

That's actually a really good suggestion :)
what are decent natures for it?
I think I'm gonna use Klefki, what's a decent setup for that?

Oh, and with Tentacruel I will need some sort of counter to Electric types - any suggestions?

P.DelSlayer said:
PokeChimpo said:

That's actually a really good suggestion :)
what are decent natures for it?
I think I'm gonna use Klefki, what's a decent setup for that?

Oh, and with Tentacruel I will need some sort of counter to Electric types - any suggestions?

Calm or Sassy natures for Tentacruel if you want full Sp.Def bulk, Gliscor is a good counter to electric types, or TTar.

Klefki is also a bulky Pokémon but with def not sp.def. It also sets hazards and has priority. Bold is a decent nature for it.

My Klefki has a Sp. Defense nature, but I don't remember off hand what the negative stat is. Mine knows Thunder Wave, Swagger, Foul Play, and Substitute if that helps you get any ideas. Also my Greninja knows Aerial Ace because its so funny to avoid Earthquake when they don't even realize he turned to flying. I had that happen before, it was priceless!

TheElite711 said:
My Klefki has a Sp. Defense nature, but I don't remember off hand what the negative stat is. Mine knows Thunder Wave, Swagger, Foul Play, and Substitute if that helps you get any ideas. Also my Greninja knows Aerial Ace because its so funny to avoid Earthquake when they don't even realize he turned to flying. I had that happen before, it was priceless!

I've always liked Spikes over Sub, gives Klefki more of a use because it rarely ever gets 1HKO and depending on the start you could set 2 layers before it goes down.

I saw that you mentioned mega-Pinsir. If you are going for a bug type hitter, you may want to consider a Mega-Heracross. With a monstrous Atk, and Skill Link, it is one scary beetle.

Freezing Blizzard said:
I saw that you mentioned mega-Pinsir. If you are going for a bug type hitter, you may want to consider a Mega-Heracross. With a monstrous Atk, and Skill Link, it is one scary beetle.

Mega Heracross gets his speed decreased so he wont be a fast enough to attack before he gets hit with a 4x supereffective bravebird. I like the idea of Mega pinsir, he gets such good stab with aeriliate. he can be taken out with stone edge quickly but if you EV train his speed and give him a fighting type move he should be able to wreck them.

P.DelSlayer said:
So with the easier access to EVs and such, I decided to make a proper competitive team this gen; I have a few Pokemon done, but need some help as where to go with the team now:

Completed members/need some work:
Blaziken @Blazikenite
Adamant
Speed Boost
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
-Shadow Claw
-Protect
-Flare Blitz
-High Jump Kick
this is basically my hard-hitting sweeper; I usually Protect once to get the +1 speed and then Mega Evolve. Flare Blitz+HJK are amazeballs STAB moves, and Shadow Claw to get perfect coverage (particularly on Ghosts)
*note: I know Blaziken is banned on most ban lists, so I will most likely find a replacement for it for Beach tourneys, etc - I have it here more for free battles*

Clawitzer @Expert Belt
Modest
252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
Mega Launcher
-Water Pulse
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam
this is my special hitting-thing; Clauncher has great attacks to abuse ML with; AS + DP both get to 120 BP with it, and Water Pulse gets to Surf's power with it. (plus the higher PP & confusion chance is lucky)
to put it in perspective: Water Pulse OHKO'd a Mega Tyranitar that had the SpD boost in Sand (however there was no way to check if the opponent knew anything about competitive)
Whilst Clawitzer is a great special attacker, it does have lackluster defenses and speed, so it's not completely out the question to replace it

Aegislash @Life Orb
Adamant
Stance Change
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
-King's Shield
-Iron Head
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword
standarrddd
but suffering from real 4MSS; it has great coverage and KS, but I wanna fit Swords Dance on there somewhere

I have a Special-Sweeper Greninja with Timid/Protean, any move suggestions?

What I'm really looking for now is a defensive Pokemon; preferably one with an immunity to Ground (Skarmory...?) since 2 of my Mons are weak to it.

Thanks in advance :)

What you said about a defensive pokemon, I use Gliscor as a staller and he does a great job, I like the set I use:
Gliscor Poison Heal w/ Toxic Orb
252 Sp def 252 Spd 4 Hp
-Substitute
-Protect
-Toxic
-Earthquake

Poison Heal give you 1/8th of you health back after the turn its activated so within 2 turns you get 1/4 of you health back, enough to use another substitute, if you know that you can take out the other pokemon then use Earthquake, I was able to 2HKO a Mega alakazam with it.

So I found out the hard way that I'm heavily weak to both Mega Mawile* and Mega Charizard X. I've decided to use Azumarill to help my ChariXard problem - any solid Mawile M counters?

*M Blaziken can counter M Mawile but only if Mawile has taken prior damage

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Mega Mawile isn't that fearsome. Mega Blaziken is faster than it by default anyway, so what do you mean it needs two boosts?
Anything that doesn't get OHKO'ed by Sucker Punch and has respectable offense can kill Mawile. If you allow it to get a Swords Dance boost, of course, that's a different story.

That's odd, I remember it outspeeding my Mega Blaziken. (may have been using Sucker Punch)

But anyway, I would like to have something that can take a Play Rough - when Bank is released I might transfer a Heatran over or something.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

bump!

So I now have my Azumarill, here's it's set up:
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Huge Power
252 Ak / 208 HP / 44 Speed
-Belly Drum
-Aqua Jet
-Play Rough
-Superpower

So basically, the idea with this is to set up a Belly Drum, and then Aqua Jet the opponent's team to oblivion. Play Rough provides great coverage alongside Aqua Jet; Superpower is for coverage on Steel types, most notably Ferrothorn. The speed EVs allow it to outrun several things, notably Blissey and Mawile (who I previously mentioned I have some problems with).

I've also got a Jolly Iron Fist Thunderpunch & Fire Punch Chimchar and I plan to raise that as a fast physical attacker.

Belly Drum is a big risk though, anything that hits half on azumarill which is a lot of mons will KO it. Anything that hits before Belly Drum can ruin it so you can't use it. The best way to use it is during a good switch in. Other than that Belly Drum is hard to get off unless you're playing doubles and have protection first turn. You could keep the EVS the same and attach life orb, waterfall could replace belly drum, or power up punch.

Back