TCG Theorymon Exercises - Week 11

The Yoshi

Wumbo
Hey everyone. After seeing the VG Theorymon exercises done by [member]Bippa[/member], I decided it would be interesting to see views of various members of how a certain aspect of the TCG can be improved, such as a card or a part of the TCG in general. Now we're into Week 11.

Rules:

1) Say what's on your mind, but don't troll. People can tell that advice is legit, even if they don't agree with it.

2) Say as much as you want! There's no limit on how many aspects you would like to see changed, and that shouldn't hold you back from providing multiple pieces of advice.

3) If you disagree with a member, don't flame or I will get [mod]Glaceon[/mod] in here and Ice Beam you all.

So here's the card we'll be working on.

26-kyogre-ex.jpg

Make your changes assuming you could take the card, use Wite-Out on anything you wanted, and change it. Begin!

Ah, Kyogre EX, the most lackluster EX of DEX. There's only a few changes This card needs to be usable.
1st and foremost: Dual Splash should do 50 to each of your opponent's pokemon. 100 damage total is horrible for an EX.

A {G} weakness would greatly improve the card's playability, getting rid of its crippling Zeels weakness.

That's really all I would change. even with just that, you get a much, MUCH more playable card than the feeble whale we have now.

^ Then it shouldn't be called Dual Splash. Maybe Tidal Wave.....

Yeah, a Grass weakness would help the card lots. DCE for Smash Turn would be pretty nice too. -1 retreat cost 4 is pretty bad.

Actually, Kyogre isn't a very bad card at all. It's got acceleration backing it, it can OHKO quite a few basics, it can at least maintain even prize exchange against quite a few cards.

Really, the useless first attack is the only thing that should be changed about the card if we don't look at the meta. It should be something like this:

{W}{W}{C} Hydro Pump - 90
You may discard an Energy card attached to this Pokémon. If you do, choose 1 of your opponent's Evolved Pokémon and return the highest stage evolution card on that Pokémon to your opponent's hand.

That makes capable of taking prizes against the active too, and gives the attack synergy with the first attack, although I've noticed Pokémon tends to try to stay away from having cards with multiple attacks that have the same energy cost.

Looking at the card in this specific format, the weakness really kills it as well. It's not an end-all thing that makes the card unplayable (look at Tornadus-EX and Darkrai-EX), but it certainly hinders it. Especially since one of the areas it's most potentially useful in is against Eelektrik decks. Changing the weakness to Grass would help it, but that's also pretty cheap.

I'd keep the Lightning Weakness if, like Puff suggested, Dual splash hit all of the opponent's Pokemon for 50 each.

I'd also change the useless first attack into a Rain-Dance Ability. It wouldn't be like Infernal Fandago, because I don't believe Mewtwo EX needs even more random energy acceleration, but with the same power of Feraligatr Prime it would:

- Replace Feraligatr Prime in Rain-Dance decks, making it far easier to go off in the first 2 turns; without having to fear your opponent catcher-ing your Totodiles before you can get the Rare Candy and Gatr in your hand.

- Thus ensure a lot more space in decks for consistency-boosters and techs.

- Make Kyurem/Water-spread decks actually viable.

- Ensure that we still had decent water-acceleration even after rotation.

We really don't need broken Abilities on already-broken basics. Abilities have to remain on evolutions, otherwise there's literally no reason to play them.

Back