Collecting TCG Secret Rare Cards

PoketuberSilver

Aspiring Trainer
I am captivated by the secret rare cards in the newer sets of the Pokemon TCG. To me they are like the modern day Charizard card from the original base set. So I am curious about how many of you fellow collectors have been lucky enough to get a secret rare pull. What did you get?

It's not from the newer sets but I managed to pull a Secret Rare Groudon from one of my first boosters and only Call of Legends pack. At a prerelease, one of my very good friends pulled a Secret Rare Energy Switch, which was very hype.

Since Aug 2013 I have pulled 26 secret rares, this doesn't include bcbm's, or full arts/ultra rares from Japanese sets.

I've pulled 2 of the following cards
M Charizard X, M Lucario, Ultra Ball, Random Receiver, Lucky Helmet and Exeggcute
And 1 of each of the following
Serperior, M Heracross, Full Metal Dialga, M Charizard Y, Sigilyph, Surfing Pikachu, Switch, Enhanced Hammer, Dive Ball, Rare Candy, Energy Switch, Trainers' Mail, Energy Retrieval and Suicune from Call of Legends I believe.

Only 1 of these came from a booster box however, Switch.

My favourite Secret Rare that I pulled was a Shining Celebi from Neo Destiny. Talk about exciting! It was just from a random pack that I had bought on Ebay. I also have a Shining Magikarp that I traded for, and a couple of the of the DPPt shinies, but I wish they hadn't used the RH foil on those because I feel like they're so fragile and easily scratched...

I have every secret rare in the game except the SR Ultra Ball, but in truth I bought most of those individually.

That being said, there are exceptions. I got SR Energy Retrieval from the first Ancient Origins pack I opened, a one pack blister.
Pulled SR Dive ball at some point as well as Empoleon earlier.
I've had other pulls but most of them are regular Pokémon EX, so I don't know how much that counts.
This was a long time ago but I bought a 1e box of Neo Revelations. My first pack I opened gave me Shiny Gyarados. I go through the entire box and the last pack I open is Shiny Magikarp.

I actually just pulled a SR Enhanced Hammer from a Primal Clash pack yesterday. I'm just a collector though and I just want cool Pokemon cards, so I'm pretty disappointed I didn't get an EX or something.

I actually just pulled a SR Enhanced Hammer from a Primal Clash pack yesterday. I'm just a collector though and I just want cool Pokemon cards, so I'm pretty disappointed I didn't get an EX or something.

I definitely feel your pain. I pulled a gold Energy Switch in one of my Emerald Break boxes. Would have much rather just pulled an FA Pokémon or Supporter, even though it would be worth less. :p

I can relate! I got a full art Archie's Ace in the Hole from a booster box once and, while it was cool, I was kinda disappointed that I didn't get something like M Aggron FA. I'm just a collector as well and the Trainer rares are never as exciting for me to pull. I do like the Team Flare Trainer cards though - the red coloration and everything is really cool!

To an extent I do sympathize as well. Honestly it's come to the point where I have a binder for reverse holo energy cards as well as reverse or special (red full art or secret rare) trainer cards. It's not exactly what I wanted to collect but it's here slamming us in the head so I decided to just take those horns and run with them.

For some odd reason I have pulled only 2 secret rares from XY. One was a Mega Charizard -EX (Y), and Energy Switch.

I can relate! I got a full art Archie's Ace in the Hole from a booster box once and, while it was cool, I was kinda disappointed that I didn't get something like M Aggron FA. I'm just a collector as well and the Trainer rares are never as exciting for me to pull. I do like the Team Flare Trainer cards though - the red coloration and everything is really cool!
I completely disagree the Trainer cards for me from what I have calculated (yes I actually calculated) are rarer in some aspect than EX full arts. There some of my favorite cards, hopefully the full art Skyla will come out because that's my favorite of all those cards ( so great if it doesn't come out in English I'll buy it in Japanese). NO JOKE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a lot of SRs, but don't have the number off-hand. But just the other day I pulled a Pikachu (Black & White 115) secret rare, which has some nice shinyness to it. The most recent from a newer set was a gold Dive Ball out of a Primal Clash box. Sadly didn't get any SRs in my Roaring Skies or Ancient Origins boxes.

My most prized SR is my Crystal Golem from Skyridge. This was also the first SR I ever pulled. Funnily enough I've only ever had one Skyridge pack (I started collecting with EX R&S) and managed to pull a SR out of it...

I also really like the Supreme Victors Zapdos retro-reprint SR.

I just pulled the SR of M Gengar EX today after months of purchasing Phantom Forces booster packs. I was so excited to finally get it! I know I could have easily (and less expensively) bought the card online but the thrill of finally pulling it from a pack is worth so much more to me.

I just pulled the SR of M Gengar EX today after months of purchasing Phantom Forces booster packs. I was so excited to finally get it! I know I could have easily (and less expensively) bought the card online but the thrill of finally pulling it from a pack is worth so much more to me.
I know exactly what you mean. I can't even begin to count how many times I've gone online to buy a particular card, only to think, "I could just get like 10 packs and hope to pull a shiny new one instead..."

Secret Rares are the bane of my quest to complete sets.

I remember pulling Regirock Gold Star way back in the day at the EX Legend Maker prerelease. I also remember pulling Mew Gold Star at the EX Dragon Frontiers prerelease. Then I pulled Regice Gold Star on my way from Target.

I sold both Regis out of naïveté and now my Mew sits in a binder in a silver Dragon Shield sleeve...alone...wishing I held onto those Regis.

I also remember buying a Latios Gold Star for $15 at a flea market and then turning around and trading it like a moron. :|

I'm the same with Flashfire, I actually only need 2 revs and 1 secret rare to finish the set, the secret rare is Kangaskhan.

I've pulled 2 gold Charizard X and 1 gold Charizard Y, the first one came in a Machamp blister with a Toxicroak full art to boot, the 1st X came second in a Pyroar box with a Blastoise full art to boot and the 2nd X came from Dollar Tree, out of 8 of those 1 dollar packs.

Yeti can't find the Kangaskhan?

While not technically a "secret rare" card, I did manage to pull a Shaymin EX Full Art the other day and it may be the most excited I've been for a pull in a long time. I am thankful that I managed to capture the moment on film and can rewatch the magic again and again. Does anybody else record their openings more for the sake of reliving the experience like I do?

I've acutally managed to pull an Entei Star from EX Unseen Forces in a 2 card sample pack. The odds of doing that has to be insanely small. Also, I've pulled the SR Charizard reprint from Stormfront.

Back