TCG Bi-Weekly Survey #1: Heatmor

Heatmor will only be teched into decks that have a bit of trouble, like CMT.

But Heatmor isn't the main problem- Zekeels already has a good matchup, and Dark.dec has a near auto win.

So Durant's essentially dead.

Just the fact that Heatmor exists should put a lid on Durant for the most part (and if it doesn't get squashed, it's definitely not going to make itself widely known for a while). Even decks with unfavorable matchups against Durant shouldn't bother to tech Heatmor because there's only three reasons people would still play Durant:
-They really like the deck.
-You have a good plan on how to deal with the rest of the meta, with or without Heatmor.
-It's the only deck you have.

Yet as Zero pointed out, Heatmor can only do one thing, and since just its entry into the TCG format (ironically) would remove Durant from the top meta, it's going to be pointless to play it.

If you cannot OHKO a Durant with a special metal energy attached to it with what you have in your deck, then Heatmor is a nice tech.

If you can deal more than 80 damage per turn, then Heatmor is a waste of deck space. Several decks already have cards that can deal this much damage in one turn, such as Tornadus, Mewtwo-EX, Zekrom, Zekrom-EX, Thundurus, Terrakion, Landorus, and the upcoming Raikou-EX, Tornadus-EX, and Darkrai-EX,

eh...I can only see Heatmore really being played by people who are just really paranoid over the Durant matchup, and in decks like quad bulls or other troll decks with Terrakion, so that way you will have close to auto win matchups against three popular decks (eels, dark, and ants).
Zekeels already has a pretty good ant matchup, and CMT gets Tornadus-EX which can ohko a Durant suited up with a spec.metal and eviolite...so they are fine without it.
I feel like Durant will still be played by newcomers and be a last minute deck choice for some players if their first choice falls through in testing and stuff.
I also agree that if we don't get a whole bunch of cards reprinted (which is most likely the case), then after rotation, Durant will be dead.

I'm sure that people who really feel like they can't risk facing Durant will tech Heatmor, though I won't, and I honestly don't think many people confident in their decks' efficiency and matchups will either. We'll probably see Durants use fall a lot in the time leading up to Battle Roads out of fear of getting screwed in your first few rounds because if Heatmor, though. At that point people will most likely assume Durant is dead or find out how brutal it is to start with a lone Heatmor against CMT and give the anteater up. I guess this might culminate in Durant becoming a nice surprise at Nats, if Heatmor stops being used as a counter for it.

Durant won't be affected by Heatmor that much. That's not to say Durant's success (and failure) is not affected by the new cards from Dark Explorers and their impact on the metagame as a whole. Darkrai EX's Ability and Dark Patch are especially brutal for something that uses Pokemon Catcher and Crushing Hammer throughout the game to slow down the opponent. I have yet to see a list with Heatmor in it and I doubt many people will play it at all, not willing to throw all the other matchups away because when you start a Heatmor, you're already at a disadvantage, especially if you go second.

dmaster out.

One word:
Prized.

What are you going to do if that heatmor is prized? Or worse, discarded?
Most decks dont run revive or super rod, so you will still have a hard time against durant if this happened.
And what about the other matchups? Do you really want that as your active?
Just think about it, durant will be severly nerfed because of Darkrai and Dpatch like dmaster said ^^^^
I just think it is a waste of space. Especially for me.

The Fire Wyrm said:
One word:
Prized.

What are you going to do if that heatmor is prized? Or worse, discarded?
Most decks don't run revive or super rod, so you will still have a hard time against durant if this happened.
And what about the other matchups? Do you really want that as your active?
Just think about it, durant will be severly nerfed because of Darkrai and Dpatch like dmaster said ^^^^
I just think it is a waste of space. Especially for me.
youre right but it depend what kind of deck you run ra deck that is fragile to discarding
might want to run 1 heatmor jut for sure i play terrakion but i will run a heatmor mayby
since in my meta (the netherland ) it rain ants
it realy depend on youre meta/format if youre going to run heatmor or not

Please use better spelling and grammar- [mod]Bippa[/mod]

Update: Heatmor has now been confirmed to be in Dark Explorers with a scan posted in the OP.

I think everyone will think that people are playing heatmor and no one will play it. They'll asume its no big deal because of the hype and assume durants dead. But in that case you'll probably lose to a durant in top cut!

^ Melbourne BR, Top cut, Durant Mirror match.
Durant will be harder to beat then ever, the smart are the only ones to stay and they will tech what is needed. If they have to tech Kyurem (NV just an example), they'll make it so it's hard to use Heatmor safely.

Does Espeon DEX negate the extra damage from Heatmor's attack vs Durant? If so, I could see it being used as a 1-1 line

No, because Espeon's Ability prevents effects of attacks. Hot Lick's effect is a part of the base damage calculation, which is not considered an "effect of an attack."

I personally believe that people will maybe tech this for durant(if people can find a place for this in their deck, i know i might not find a spot), but over time durant players may switch over to something else because of the threat that heatmor poses, but once people stop teching heatmor(maybe because there might be something better or they might loose interest in heatmor) that is when durant will pick back up in play. I do think that players will:
A) Still run durant even though heatmor is in the format or
B) Be so paranoid that heatmor will be a tech in every deck so they stop playing it for the time being.
All in all i think people i believe very strongly that durant will loose a lot of play because of heatmor, but there will still be durant players in the area so be ready for anything in tournaments.

Back