• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Tauros/Garbodor/Hammers

Alakazam90125

Aspiring Trainer
About a week ago, I started playing the new Garbodor against my friends, and it is almost complete after a lot of trading! The main objective is simple: take some good KO´s in the active with Tauros or Drampa, and then retreat for the late game sweep with Garbodor, which does 20 damage for each item in your opponents discard pile for a single psychic energy. This deck radiates ¨annoying deck everyone hates¨, like good old Night March, and could wreck havoc on the format. People are scared to attack Tauros for fear of being OHKOed by Mad Bull, well you are hitting for at least 90 with Horn Attack and Choice Band, and irritating them with grunts, hammers, and blowers. Give it a shot! This decklist is not perfect. The main flaw you must fix: at least 2 copies of Team Flare Grunt and the extra Crushing Hammer, and perhaps an extra energy. I am still trying to smooth that out, but anyways here is my decent rough draft:

5 Psychic
4 DCE
4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Pokemon Fan Club (Very optional, just for now)
1 Team Skull Grunt
1 Hex Maniac
4 VS Seeker
4 Trainers Mail (Could take away 1 or 2 for Team Flare Grunts?)
2 Field Blower
3 Float Stone
3 Choice Band
4 Ultra Ball
3 Crushing Hammer
1 Enhanced Hammer
4 Trubbish (3 BKPT, 1 GR)
4 Garbodor (3 GR, 1 BKPT)
2 Shaymin EX
2 Tauros GX
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Drampa GX

Hi Alakazam90125,

Nice deck. Consider these modifications:

- 4 Trainer's Mail (not needed and bad in the mirror match)
- 1 Team Skull Grunt (Team Flare Grunt seems better here)
- 1 Shaymin Ex (one tech Shaymin is all you will need)

+ 1 Super Rod (versatile recovery of Pokémon and Psychic Energy)
+ 2 Psychic Energy (you will need 11 energies in this deck)
+ 2 Team Flare Grunt (works well with the discard theme)
+ 1 Rescue stretcher (versatile Pokémon recovery)

To tell the truth I am not sold on the hammers version. I rather have an additional Choice Band and apply pressure with beatdown and stable card search. Drampa GX and Tauros GX work real well to press the opponent to keep track with them, which requires the use of item cards to advance or restore the board state on the opponent's part. From my point of view you are a little overdoing things with hammers and increase your own item count, which bites in the mirror match.

Hope this provides some initial assistance.

Hi Alakazam90125,

Nice deck. Consider these modifications:

- 4 Trainer's Mail (not needed and bad in the mirror match)
- 1 Team Skull Grunt (Team Flare Grunt seems better here)
- 1 Shaymin Ex (one tech Shaymin is all you will need)

+ 1 Super Rod (versatile recovery of Pokémon and Psychic Energy)
+ 2 Psychic Energy (you will need 11 energies in this deck)
+ 2 Team Flare Grunt (works well with the discard theme)
+ 1 Rescue stretcher (versatile Pokémon recovery)

To tell the truth I am not sold on the hammers version. I rather have an additional Choice Band and apply pressure with beatdown and stable card search. Drampa GX and Tauros GX work real well to press the opponent to keep track with them, which requires the use of item cards to advance or restore the board state on the opponent's part. From my point of view you are a little overdoing things with hammers and increase your own item count, which bites in the mirror match.

Hope this provides some initial assistance.

Yes, thanks for the advice. I ran rescue stretcher but found it not useful, and I agree about extra energy, less trainers mail, and a Team Flare Grunt

@Dark Espeon made some solid points that would covered some of my comments. Further, I'd also suggest replacing 1 Float Stone (target for Field Blower) with an Olympia in order to have another switching/retreating option.

Why no Stadiums? Why not also run 1 Brock's Grit for recycling discarded resources? Why not 1 Garbotoxin Garbodor?

As an alternative to the Trainer's Mail, have your considered using Puzzle of Time which would allow you to recover discarded resources (e.g., Hammers) and replay them?

@Dark Espeon made some solid points that would covered some of my comments. Further, I'd also suggest replacing 1 Float Stone (target for Field Blower) with an Olympia in order to have another switching/retreating option.

Olympia is a nice idea but I would rather cut the hammers for one Olympia instead of reducing the Float Stone count. The main reason is that Field Blower can take them off and you want Float Stones for Garbotoxin Garbodor, which is already in the decklist. Most decks will run 1-2 Field Blower and I like to have one more tool than the usual Field Blower count. Granted Garbotoxin is mainly a counter to Volcanion decks but it does help a lot in these matches and forces the opponent to either use or discard tools to obtain access to Steam Up. Also consider that there are other popular energy denial decks such as Quad Lapras GX and Sylveon GX. Decks that need a lot of energy will therefore run one or two copies of Carbink to keep their Basic energies on their Basic Pokémon. While fire decks at öeast need to search it out with either Ball cards or Bridgette, water decks such as Aqua Box can search them with Brooklet Hill. For that reason hammers may be a dead card in this deck in some matches and also make worsen the mirror match. Tauros can go a long way as a leading attacker with three Tapu Lele GX. A tech Drampa GX can be nice and would provide all the energy control needed in Trevenant Vileplume matches if you run three Tapu Lele GX and a single tech Ninja Boy. From my point of view Garbodor is in essence the same thing as the BBP decks in BW. Their lead attackers should be rather self-sufficient and you want a stable and diverse draw and search engine to back them up. The only difference is that you now have a cleaner in Garbodor, who only gives up one prize card. If your meta is infected by this deck look into 1-prize attackers that can serve a role similar to Tauros GX ;). If you are interested in my unteched variant of this deck check the forum for Rubbish Heap. Would be interested in hearing your experience with various builts of this deck.

Why no Stadiums? Why not also run 1 Brock's Grit for recycling discarded resources? Why not 1 Garbotoxin Garbodor?

As an alternative to the Trainer's Mail, have your considered using Puzzle of Time which would allow you to recover discarded resources (e.g., Hammers) and replay them?
I agree, this list needs parallel city and Olympia, and I do already have a Breakpoint Garb in my list.

Back